Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #1

K10D SR issue

I got my K10D, love it, but I mostly use it at day time, and I just realize it has some issue when shooting at low shutter speed and on tripod with SR off. The camera works fine with shutter speed over 1/15 sec, with or without SR, but at low shutter speed under, 1/10 sec, all images become blur, with or without SR. same issue even with SR off and on a tripod. I believe there is some issue with the SR system. because even the SR is off and the camera is on a tripod, I can heard the SR motor shaking during the timer count down and the mirror lockup duration. When I use the dust clean function, the SR vibration is very weak, and when I use the mirror lockup to clean the senor, the camera also shakes. Is this issue fixable? Thanks.

Last edited by winglik; 08-30-2011 at 12:00 PM.
08-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Look at your tripod before you look at the shake reduction. What sort of quality is it?
What lens are you using?
Also, it isn't too unusual for a camera to have a range of speeds where it is a little bit more lively than others. I didn't especially notice my K10 being twitchy at any particular range, but it's possible.
The speed range in and around 1/10 of a second is jut about the hardest to keep a camera still for. I don't recall if the K10 has mirror lock up, but if it does, use it. If this entails using the 2 second delay, then so be it.
08-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #3

I am quite positive a functioning K10D does not have SR turned on when you have tried to turn it off. Just try to put your camera on a table, set the shutter to 0,5s and use the 2-second delay with mirror-lock up, and push the button. That picture should be as sharp as could be (if you actually have anything in focus ...).

I have the K10D, and yes, 1/10s will give you shaky images - SR or no SR. It is not nearly as effective as Pentax would like you to believe, but it helps a bit. I usually find 1/25s to be pushing it.
08-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by winglik Quote
I got my K10D, love it, but I mostly use it at day time, and I just realize it has some issue when shooting at low shutter speed and on tripod with SR off. The camera works fine with shutter speed over 1/15 sec, with or without SR, but at low shutter speed under, 1/10 sec, all images become blur, with or without SR. same issue even with SR off and on a tripod. I believe there is some issue with the SR system. because even the SR is off and the camera is on a tripod, I can heard the SR motor shaking during the timer count down and the mirror lockup duration. When I use the dust clean function, the SR vibration is very weak, and when I use the mirror lockup to clean the senor, the camera also shakes. Is this issue fixable? Thanks.
what lens are you using.

I use the K10D with SR quite effectively at shutter speeds between 1 second and 1/10 second, but with wide angle lenses.

Note that SR is really only good for 2-3 stops over the rule of thumb 1/35mm focal length equivelent therefore if you are shooting with anything above a 20mm lens at 1/10th of a second you are already at the limit. SR is good, good technique is better.

08-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks all your input. I tested it compare to the K-x,That is why I figured out there is something wrong with the SR. It has nothing to do with the lens nor tripod, I tested it with few of my prime lenses and zoom lenses, and put it on a table. the results were the same. For ex, I put the K10D on a tripod/table with a 2sec timer or wireless remote mode, During the timer count down/ mirror lockup time, I can felt the SR shaking before the shoot and during the shoot, and that's the cause for the blur. But at faster shutter speed, pretty much all pictures come out alright. Any idea why the SR is messed up?
09-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #6

Perhaps the SR switch is broken and SR is always on?
Check the EXIF data of pictures where you think SR is off.

Or switch the camera on with a manual lens that with SR would ask for the focal length.
If it asks for focal length with SR off, it's not realy off!
09-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by winglik Quote
Feeling any SR (Shake Reduction) is completely mistaken or camera is broken. On a K10, when using the Dust Removal, you do feel a "weak" vibration which is normal, when taking images using SR it is not normal to "feel or hear" any vibration at any shutter speed.

There are other issue going on with your camera and it most likely has to do with the SR at very low/long shutter speeds and/or while mirror is locked up, I've seen this same thing happen on another camera and it needed repairs... The repair will probably cost the same as buying a used K10D @ $250+
10-01-2011, 02:29 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I don't entirely agree, dust removal on my k10d is pretty violent, so much that I rarely used it. Feeling or hearing vibrations could also happen on longer shutter times, no matter if SR is on or off, the same servo system is always used.

But the picture should of course be razor sharp if used on a tripod/table with SR off, and it should be silent as long as the mirror is down. Come to think of it I don't recall what happens if using 2sec delay as that will also lift the mirror immediately. Try the 14 sec timer, it should be silent until the shoot is taken.

10-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
could it be the vibration to "shake" off the dust on the sensor be going off the same time the shutter triggers?
I would do 2 things... re-install the firmware, and make sure the camera batteries are fully charged, and take an eraser to the contacts to clean them. electronics can do funky things when low on power.
also, check you menu and see if the camera's dust remover is going on every time you start the camera, if it is, turn off the "start up the dust removal at start up" to see if this helps.
one more thing (shot in the dark) go into your menu and turn off noise reduction as slow shutter speeds

good luck and let us know how you make out

cheers
11-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #10

Original Poster
This issue only happens when K10D's mirror is in lockup position. I can see the senor is shaking when the mirror is locked up. This happen no matter the SR system is off or on. But the SR is working fine at faster exposure. So there must be something wrong with the SR system in my K10D, I have the K-x, but K10D is a lovely camera to give up. Is there a way to permanently disable the K10D SR system?
11-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Because the sensor platter is free floating even with SR off the SR system still keeps the platter centered with the lens during shutter time. Even if you have the K10D on a tripod with SR off and a time of 30 sec the SR system will have to hold the platter centered with the lens for that time. How else does the platter stay centered?

Have you tried a newer battery?

Its hard to believe sometimes but the SR system only works when you push down the shutter button, the sensor platter jumps up and if SR is off centered with the lens, if SR is on then in a compensation position and dynamically moving with PWM signals to the coils with data generated in the CPU from the gyros and hall sensors. BTW with SR off the gyros are not needed (system only centers the sensor platter) and the system only uses the hall sensors. In latter models with live view this effect is easy to demonstrate.

Last edited by jamesm007; 11-06-2011 at 08:41 PM.