Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Pentaxian

How do I use external TTL flash on the *ist D?

Hi guys - I just acquired the *ist D simply to leverage all my external TTL flashes. This is my first time using the TTL functionality so I'm not sure how to make it works properly.

Let's say I have the following setup:

- *ist D ==> Mode = M, ISO = 400, shutter = 1/125 as it won't sync beyond that
- M50/f1.4 ==> F5.6
- Nikon SB28 flash

Now the question is: what do I set on my SB28?

I'm pretty sure I need to set the flash mode to TTL but do I need to set other parameters (focal, ISO and aperture) to match with the camera of it does on its own?

08-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not a flash expert, but you should just be able to use the flash in TTL mode- the camera will do everything else for you. That's the beauty of TTL, as it measures light in real time rather than performing calculations in advance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-30-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

TTL requires "dedicated" flash. Nikon flashes are not dedicated to Pentax cameras.
08-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ah!! No!!

You will NOT be able to use a Nikon SB28 flash in TTL mode on a Pentax camera.

If the flash has an sensor in the flash you should be able to use the flash in Auto mode, where the flash controls the amount of flash delivered.

You should also match all settins on the camera on the flash ISO, aperture, focal length if that can be set on the flash.

regards

Chris Stone

08-31-2011, 04:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We're talking TTL here, guys, not P-TTL...

Some (not all!) Nikon flashes do have a SU-4 slave setting that allow them to piggyback on whatever TTL flash there is, so yes, they are compatible with our old TTL Pentax bodies.
For those that don't have the SU-4 functionality, well, you can always buy the SU-4 module it was named after...

I've made a thread on this some time ago : Pentax TTL bodies with Nikon flashes.
I tried with my MZ-7 film camera, and it was simply perfect. Maybe needed a little -0.7 Ev comp for my taste, but otherwise, it was working straight from the start.

Unfortunately for you, from memory, the SB28 does not have this feature... So you'll either have to get a SU-4 module, or buy another Nikon flash (the SB50Dx is a good choice, as it's practically brand new and is not compatible with current Nikon DSLRs)..
08-31-2011, 06:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I got it. I also have two genuine Pentax flashes that support TTL natively, AF360 FTZ and AF500 FTZ. I will try those under TTL mode then.

The SB28 has A mode so I will use it under Auto mode instead.

Thanks guys!
08-31-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ducdao

you are correct, you need a flash that supports TTL, but it does not need to be the AF 500FTZ (although that is a fine flash) or the AF360FTZ.

The AF540FGZ will also support TTL mode providing the lens on the camera is NOT in the A position.

ALso, and someone needs to confirm this, if you are in TTL mode with the internal flash, some nikon flashes can trigger and both turn on and off remotely, based on the flash duration of the prime (on board flash)

As a result, you can use the internal flash as the master, and the nikon flash as an off camera remote slave, in TTL mode.

Again, for the internal flash to work in TTL mode the lens MUST NOT be in the A position

09-01-2011, 12:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Lowell, I confirm, this is the SU-4 mode found on Nikon flashes... It's named from the SU-4 module you can plug on nearly any Nikon flash, thus adding this features on any model you have...
In newer flashes, the SU-4 mode was added in the flash itself...

I've tried this mode with a MZ-7 film camera using a Porst 55/1.2 PK lens and a Nikon SB-800, and exposure was great (if maybe a little overexposed, but a -1Ev Flash comp would take care of this)...
I used a Nikon SG-3IR to prevent the internal flash from contributing to the exposure.

09-01-2011, 05:31 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Lowell, I confirm, this is the SU-4 mode found on Nikon flashes... It's named from the SU-4 module you can plug on nearly any Nikon flash, thus adding this features on any model you have...
In newer flashes, the SU-4 mode was added in the flash itself...

I've tried this mode with a MZ-7 film camera using a Porst 55/1.2 PK lens and a Nikon SB-800, and exposure was great (if maybe a little overexposed, but a -1Ev Flash comp would take care of this)...
I used a Nikon SG-3IR to prevent the internal flash from contributing to the exposure.
I suppose with a TTL external flash, you could always point it up or away from the subject but still use it as the master, and avoid direct lighting also. But the point is, the SU-4 mode is what I was referring to, and you have confirmed it works.
09-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

For reference, Flashes including the su-4 mode are (AFAIK):
- SB26, SB30, SB50 and SB50DX, SB80DX (and maybe others, but these are the only ones I could identify)
- The whole DSLR SB line (SB600, SB800, SB900...)

Have a look through This site dedicated to Nikon flashes...
09-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
For reference, Flashes including the su-4 mode are (AFAIK):
- SB26, SB30, SB50 and SB50DX, SB80DX (and maybe others, but these are the only ones I could identify)
- The whole DSLR SB line (SB600, SB800, SB900...)

Have a look through This site dedicated to Nikon flashes...
Darn, I have SB22, SB24, SB25 and SB28. I guess I'm not too lucky with TTL then

I just love those old Nikon flashes, they are so well built and always deliver when needed.
09-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You can always try to snag some SU-4 units, they go for 100€ brand new, 50€ second hand...