Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
JJ. Many people prefer the Tamron very sharp 17-50/2.8 (very similar price to the 16-45) to the far more expensive Pentax 16-50 which may often be over-rated by Pentaxians. It's had very mixed reviews. Check out the thread for photos taken by Tamron lenses here on PF.

+1, I have the 16-50mm, bought it in 2008 when the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 was not around. Otherwise, who knows...
At f4 and above the 16-50mm does excellent work.

However, given a good specimen, the Sigma does a little better at much lower cost. Alas it does not have WR.
If I believe the test guru's around the world, the 17-50mm f2.8 is about the best zoom lens Sigma has ever made...

You've ordered a K-r? Good choice. Avoid the kit lens.
The 16-45mm is a very good lens as well and can be found a very low prices on the Internet.

Cheers, Bert

09-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I have a few Tamron lenses pre DI and will try them out and may get the DI version of a couple of them Definitely appreciate all the advice.

JJ
09-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see always as a pride and joy of Pentax the WR. I agree it's a very good feature, no doubt, but the manufacturer does not state clear limits and use conditions for the WR. I am curious, how can one make a warranty claim if WR fail? How much water is WR, for how long? Has anybody did that? They can easy say "it is not waterproof, you used it in improper conditions, so therefore warranty cannot cover the damage".
09-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Kr + DA 35mm f2.4 AL = winner

Bonjour,

Here's my two "centimes" worth of advice: get the DA 35mm f2.4 AL over the kit zoom. Hands down and no competition here at all. I have this combo, and it's very good and very happy with both. Also, check out the user ratings of this lens in the Lenses section of this forum ... I'm going to add my review sometime later.

As for the debate concerning the K-5 vs. the D7000, the "Chasseur d'Images" magazine in France rated its top DSLR picks at the beginning of the summer. The K-5 (and K-r, too) received 5 star ratings ( 5/5 ) and a "best choice" designation as well ... the D7000 received only 4 stars ( 4/5 ) and no "best choice" designation. I posted the full list earlier if you want to see the entire field of DSLRs compared.

Hope this helps ... Bon courage, Jean le Frog

09-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
ON a side note I may have picked up a K-7 for a decent price just a little leary of buying used but the price was fair. So the wife can enjoy the Kr and send the K-7 to me to monkey with over here.

JJ

Last edited by jerryleejr; 09-03-2011 at 08:13 PM.
09-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
I see always as a pride and joy of Pentax the WR. I agree it's a very good feature, no doubt, but the manufacturer does not state clear limits and use conditions for the WR. I am curious, how can one make a warranty claim if WR fail? How much water is WR, for how long? Has anybody did that? They can easy say "it is not waterproof, you used it in improper conditions, so therefore warranty cannot cover the damage".
Somewhere, can`t remember where, I read that WR is good for foggy conditions and LIGHT drizzle, for short periods. Not for rain.
09-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Somewhere, can`t remember where, I read that WR is good for foggy conditions and LIGHT drizzle, for short periods. Not for rain.
Note Pentax has two forms of WR - you can read the difference on the lens pages on their site. The true WR lenses can take a HELLUVA lot more abuse than light drizzle. I wanted to try mine out so took the K5 and DA*300 for a spin in HEAVY rain (see below - that isn't a mist, it's rain) and it never missed a beat (before or after). Just Google YouTube videos of the Pentax WR testing and you'll come up with people using them in the shower ... with the lens pointed right up at the shower head.