Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How many megapixels would you like?
16 megapixel is enough, keep the current Sony sensor that is in K-5. 1841.86%
20 megapixel sensor from Samsung would be great. 716.28%
24 megapixel sensor from Sony would be the next thing. 1841.86%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wich sensor for K-5 successor?

K-5 is now coming close to one year on the market. With Ricoh's takeover soon there will be ofcourse thinking of a replacement. New camera, new sensor, new designs or not?

What would you prfer?

09-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm for samsung. K-5's sensor is noisy at base ISO at bright areas (sky suffers from it very much), I also dislike the DR sensitivity distribution, I would prefer more consistency among the whole range. The sky at samsung samples looks better, so I would like to see it in the new Pentax camera.
But it's not my final decision and I can change it based on the DR tests: I want 13 stops at least.
09-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm unlikely to be in the market for a new camera in the next several years. While it's fun to speculate, I find the K-5 to be the camera I was waiting for and plan on using it for some time to come. It's not like that's all I will ever need but at 16mp, it's well more than enough. If a new top of the line Pentax body came out with just more mp, it would likely receive a just yawn from me. There would have to be a something or two much more compelling than just more mp. I'd frankly feel the same way about a FF body. Now, some new lenses would be a very different subject.
09-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

In case Pentax cannot find better enhancement for the K-5 then a new image sensor, then let it be 24meg. It won't attract me but some may actually want the resolution. But I cannot imagine upgrading from the K-5 any time soon. I want the upgrade to be really worth it (I skipped to K-5 directly from K10D).

09-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
iso improvement is far more important than Mpx I just want something far better than a K5, so the K5 will be cheaper, and i then, i could buy one
09-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I think we'll know a little better which is the best after Dxo Mark tests the various sensors. To me, much more important than megapixels is a combination of dynamic range and high iso ability. The current 16 megapixel sensor set a new bar for both of those. I'm not convinced that either the 20 megapixel sensor from Samsung or the 24 megapixel sensor from Sony will raise the bar in either of those areas.

Seems to me that the biggest concern for Sony with the 24 megapixel sensor was to increase sensor read out for video and high fps with still photography. I really don't care about 12 fps shooting ability. The 7 present in the K5 is more than adequate.
09-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
K-5 is now coming close to one year on the market. With Ricoh's takeover soon there will be ofcourse thinking of a replacement. New camera, new sensor, new designs or not?

What would you prfer?
With the recent $300.00 rebate and the $100.00 price drop I think the replacement is already well underway. Probably will be released this Spring. I would hope that Pentax is keeping with the K-5 strength (excellent high-ISO and DR) and improving upon those. It is very possible we see the same 16MP Sony sensor in a new body with better AF, better VF, 2 card slots, & faster/improved SR. Of course it is also possible that we will see all of those things and an improved sensor.
09-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Which sensor for K-5 replacement

Hi All,
Is there a 18 MP sensor from either Sony or Samsung? I think that probably increasing the dynamic range of the CMOS sensor to be equal to the dynamic range of film or greater is more important than just outright just increasing the MP. I would like to see a 1 to 3 stop light increase in the K-5 replacement and a lot less highlight clipping with faster and more accurate auto focus.

09-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The Aptina MT9H004 now is more than a year old.
Aptina is one of the largest image sensor manufacturers around.
Perhaps they have something new up their sleeve...

Bert
09-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think we'll know a little better which is the best after Dxo Mark tests the various sensors.
Absolutely right. Now we are in the early stage of pregnancy. You don't what your getting, but are dreaming about a boy or a girl. With sensors it's the same
09-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jusfun21 Quote
Hi All,
Is there a 18 MP sensor from either Sony or Samsung? I think that probably increasing the dynamic range of the CMOS sensor to be equal to the dynamic range of film or greater is more important than just outright just increasing the MP. I would like to see a 1 to 3 stop light increase in the K-5 replacement and a lot less highlight clipping with faster and more accurate auto focus.
The only 18mm sensor I'm aware of is Canon's and it is the smaller of the aps-c sensors (1.6x).
09-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't get it, how is it possible to express an opinion without knowing the new sensors capabilities and how Pentax will handle them in new body(ies)? Only a few engineers can test those sensors for their companies concept models only in the strictly restricted lab areas, isn't it?

BTW the test pictures in the imaging-resource, of new sensor of Sony A77 with Bigma 70mm lens looked good to me , the samples with Sony lenses I saw were simply suck.