Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,134
K10D and SMCP-M 400/5.6

I just took a few shots out my back window. A Mule deer doe was resting a chewing her cud. I discovered that the 400/5.6 M lens has quite a bit of color fringing. This was unexpected - I've used this lens for years without noticing this.

The image was cropped from a full size jpeg in Lightroom, exposure and contrast upped a bit - it's quite shady back there - and WB changed.

Attached Images
 
12-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member
clawhammer's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Logan, Utah
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 975
snow traditionally brings out CF big time. CF is worse when something is not in focus, so in a snowy situation where you have lots of changes from super bright to dark there are a lot more out-of-focus areas where this can occur.
12-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,134
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clawhamemr Quote
snow traditionally brings out CF big time. CF is worse when something is not in focus, so in a snowy situation where you have lots of changes from super bright to dark there are a lot more out-of-focus areas where this can occur.
It did not help much that I am shooting due South into the sun, which is getting low at this time of year. (about 30 miles North of the 49th parallel).

I was just a bit surprised to see so much in a lens that I have been using for more than 10 years, without seeing it. I think maybe my K10D is sharp and shows up all the boo-boos I've had for a while.

I also printed this out (after the post) 8.5x11 borderless on my el cheapo Canon iP1700, and the fringing is much less noticeable. It's hanging on my wall now. SWMBO likes it!
12-02-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: York Region Canada
Posts: 642
I have the K version of this lens.

I have not used it much, mostly in non snow conditions, but i have not noticed any CF problems to date.

It snowed pretty good here last night, and i'm planning a winter photo drive later, weather permitting.

I'll throw the K400 in the truck and try and take a few samples.

Dave

12-02-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,134
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
I have the K version of this lens.

I have not used it much, mostly in non snow conditions, but i have not noticed any CF problems to date.

It snowed pretty good here last night, and i'm planning a winter photo drive later, weather permitting.

I'll throw the K400 in the truck and try and take a few samples.

Dave
I'm interested in your results. My shots were South facing, which didn't help the situation any. My back yard makes a good test bed for this stuff. Lots of pine trees sticking up into the sky, etc. If the lens works there, it should work anywhere.
12-03-2007, 05:27 AM   #6
hll
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: new york
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 297
hi,
did you use an uv filter...
as far as i know using an uv filter is important when taking snow pictures...
i think it will help...
cheers
halil
12-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Tom M's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lincoln Park, NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 782
Stop down and a filter.
12-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: York Region Canada
Posts: 642
fringing and noise

Picasa Web Albums - David J - Winter Scenic

Albert, here is a link to a photo i shot Sunday.

Really crappy day, heavy snow, freezing rain, rain etc and poor light. Very overcast to say the least.
Photo is a trumpeter swan and some ducks and geese in one of the ponds at the farm.

I won't say, but see if you can see anything. I cant seem to load up the link but if need be, download it and zoom in.

Dave

12-03-2007, 04:30 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,134
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
Picasa Web Albums - David J - Winter Scenic

Albert, here is a link to a photo i shot Sunday.

Really crappy day, heavy snow, freezing rain, rain etc and poor light. Very overcast to say the least.
Photo is a trumpeter swan and some ducks and geese in one of the ponds at the farm.

I won't say, but see if you can see anything. I cant seem to load up the link but if need be, download it and zoom in.

Dave
Nice shot. I should have put in perspective that I am trying all my lenses on the K10d with the objective of knowing what to watch out for. Bright sun, backlit is perfect for what I was trying out. I was just a bit surprised at the amount of CA.
12-03-2007, 04:33 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,134
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Stop down and a filter.
I agree with stop down, but disagree with the filter. In backlit situations, a filter just adds flare to the mix.

I stopped using UV filters quite a while ago because of the flare. I do use them when required, either as a filter, or when taking shots of orcas in a salt water pool, for example, or on a windy beach so as not to sandblast my lens.
12-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: York Region Canada
Posts: 642
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Nice shot. I should have put in perspective that I am trying all my lenses on the K10d with the objective of knowing what to watch out for. Bright sun, backlit is perfect for what I was trying out. I was just a bit surprised at the amount of CA.
Unfortunaltly, you cannot see it in this small photo, but the trumpeter swan has a ring of purple fringing, but i had to zoom in quite a way to see it.

Its a dark day and iso at 640, and i see on the zoom in, quite a bit of noise on the geese.

Dave
12-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,134
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
Unfortunaltly, you cannot see it in this small photo, but the trumpeter swan has a ring of purple fringing, but i had to zoom in quite a way to see it.

Its a dark day and iso at 640, and i see on the zoom in, quite a bit of noise on the geese.

Dave
You could try one of the noise reduction programs, such as Noise Ninja. I hear they are very good. I have overspent my software budget already, so ...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bit, camera, dslr, lens, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: 12 Rolls Arista Legacy Pro 400 (aka Fuji Neopan 400) k100d Sold Items 1 11-22-2009 08:38 PM
Found K10D for $400 should I get it or..... Nadmom Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 02-16-2009 09:40 PM
K10D + M 400/5.6 Exposure Tests Canada_Rockies Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 03-07-2008 12:33 PM
SMCP-M 400/5.6 is not so bad Canada_Rockies Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 0 12-04-2007 02:34 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:40 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top