Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust UNDERNEATH sensor screen of a K-7 - Help !!!

Bonjour,

Has anyone encountered having dust UNDERNEATH the screen for the sensor?

I purchased a used K-7 from my local camera store (at Phox Photo in Poitiers, France) about four months ago and I have now been informed (after a month of waiting) that the official Pentax Service Center in Trappes (named "PM2S") wants about $200.00 to clean and remove a piece of dust which is located underneath the screen and in the middle center of the K-7 sensor.

I am quite upset given that I trusted Phox and was assured that this K-7 was in "excellent" condition.

I discovered a dust speck about the end of June, and I thought that it was no big deal, just an ordinary dust accumulation ... So, I bought a better blower at Phox and that did nothing ... next step, I bought the Pentax orange wand cleaner at Phox and that didn't help ... and then "Green Clean" wet wands (two applications here and purchased at Phox) with obviously no positive results ... BECAUSE THE DUST WAS UNDERNEATH THE SENSOR SCREEN.

At the end of July and after my many attempts to clean my sensor, I complained to Phox about this dust speck. They tried to clean the K-7 in-store, obviously with no success as well. Next, Phox sent my K-7 to the Pentax Service Center because they could not figure out what was happening ...

I have looked again at my very first photos with this K-7 and in pixel peeping, one can see the speck only ln certain photos where there's a lot of back-lighting and/or a closed aperture is used ... so IMHO this dust was already on the sensor when I purchased this used K-7.

To conclude, I had a rather angry telephone conversation with the manager of Phox and they offered to pay for half of this "reparation" ...

S'il vous plait, I need some help here ... any advice and/or information will be greatly appreciated ... Merci beaucoup ! "Jean" le Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 09-03-2011 at 04:06 PM.
09-03-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well I had a little thing on my K-7 also (dust) that was not removable, so under the toplayer. No problem for me since it was in a lower corner where image wasn't that important for me and the dust part small and just to see with f5.6 and up.

Well it is a used camera, so hard to say wheater the first owner did dis or that it was there leaving the factory but unnoticed.

The time that you have the camera is too long too blame the shop in my humble opinion. But that is just thinking from retail.

Leave it or repair it. I thing that cutting the bill is a good offer.

Edit I see that it was on first pictures. Well difficult still. It is a used camera.So I still think that this is now a good offer.
09-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As indicated by RonHendriks1966, I would take up the offer to repair the camera and pay only half the repair costs. While I do not know how much you pay for the K-7, the camera body is quite good value for money right now (everyone wnats the K-5) and you can get excellent shots with the K-7.

My '5 centimes' thought.... et bienvenu sur PF.