Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2011, 05:29 AM   #1

Sudden jam k10d

Hi everyone, I have been a very happy and satisfied user of the K10D, until yesterday. When I pressed the shutter for my first shot after having turned on the camera's power, the mirror came up, the shutter curtain closed...and that was the end. Initially, power seemed to be normal as the camera's top display continued with all indications visible. However, non of the buttons or scroll wheels would work. I took out the battery and reinserted it in the hope to reset all systems, but the only difference it made was that even the top display went blanc, with the exception of the battery indicator that flashed as it would normally do in the case of an emptied battery. I fully charged the battery, the only one I have, but nothing changed. I live in a fairly remote part of Brazil and have no access to another battery to test it. I can only say that the one I have was working perfectly well, enabling me to do up to 350 to 400 raws.
Anyone has a hunch to what might cause this rather severe problem?
Thanks for your help!

09-03-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately this is probably not a battery issue. Most likely a failure within the camera itself. My first quess would be moisture. Although the camera is sealed, many lenses are not and I assume you live in a region that is quite humid. Do you have a place where you can put it (without a lens or body cap on) that is very dry, maybe with a dehumidifier. This could take a few days to be totally dried out if that is even the issue.

Second thought would be, has it been dropped hard recently? This could cause a circuit board failure.
Third, what lens was attached? Maybe try the camera again without any lens attached and see if it will power up normally.

If #1 or #3 don't solve the issue, then the camera would need to go in for repair and at today's used prices for a K10D, you might as well get a replacement.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 09-03-2011 at 07:08 AM.
09-03-2011, 06:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
Sudden jam k10d

Yes, I do live in a very humid region, and though I always tried to protect the camera as well as possible....there is virtually no way to really avoid humidity coming in. Another fact is that I live very close to the sea, so salt and humidity joined is probably not a very healty environment for a camera. Thanks anyway for the response, I will surely give it a try to dry the camera as good as possible. See what happens after a few days or so.
Thanks again!
09-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In some cases, a sudden increase of humidity can be troublesome to these cameras. To go from relative low humidity to sudden high humidity with the camera on can cause a failure due to moisture. Going from an air conditioned house or less humid setting to high humidity outdoors or environment and turning on can cause trouble.

09-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #5

Original Poster
Air humidity in the region I live in is usually around 80%, but yesterday was an extremely humid day, off I guess far above 90%. It might have been too much... particularly considering the fact that days of such extreme humidity are not rare around here (south of Bahia state, Brazil) and since I do not own any WR lenses, the sealing of the camera itself is of little or no use under the circumstances.