Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-7, K-r or E-620?

Hello all, new to these forums - apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I have read a number of threads on here concerning K-7 vs K-r but for me the Olympus E-620 is also in the mix. I'm hoping to outline my thoughts and get some expert input!

Personal considerations:

- image quality is a high priority
- need full control at my fingertips. I am coming from an Olympus OM-10. (Have been using a borrowed K10D for a few weeks and have been impressed.)
- most use will probably be architecture, macro, a bit of street / streetscape / landscape and the odd shot of the kids
- for macro work obviously manual focus needs to be effective either through screen choice or in-viewfinder focus confirm (does that work with adapted lenses / extension tubes / bellows etc?)
- Low light photography has always appealed but I never explored it much due to the pain of switching films. I would enjoy the opportunity to do it conveniently. Then again, maybe I wouldn't miss what I've never had.
- Wildlife / birding has also always appealed, I didn't do much with 35 mm but it seems more feasible to give this a go with the technical developments in modern DSLRS plus the advantage of crop factor. To this end I guess image stabilisation, frame rate and AF speed matter.
- I am hard on gear so maybe WR is a good thing. (Then again how can you shoot in the rain and keep rain drops off your front element!?)
- I have a small collection of Zuiko OM-mount primes I would like to adapt if possible - but in reality the only call for infinity focus would be to provide a fast normal lens
- Further to the above, I appreciate build quality and hate wobbly plastic things like the Sigma lenses on "my" borrowed K10D.

With that in mind, here are some of the relevant pros and cons but here's where I need some help!

K7
Pros: WR, build quality, large bright viewfinder, interchangeable screens, viewfinder focus confirm
Cons: Low light performance, AF speed (?)

Kr
Pros: Low light performance
Cons: build quality, no viewfinder display?

E-620
Pros: viewfinder focus confirm? OM adaptability
Cons: Low light performance ?

What else should I be considering in terms of pros and cons given my priorities above?

How does the E-620 compare to the K7 in low light? From what I can gather they both drop of at ISO 1600 ... and yet this is usually couched as "glass half empty" with the K7 and "glass half full" for the E-620!

09-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K-r is well built, it's just not as well built as the k7 and it does have a viewfinder, but it's not as big as the k7's and it's not as bright. Both pentaxs will give you a focus confirmation in the viewfinder, and it works with vintage lenses. Both cameras have great ergonomics, but the k7 is a pro body and of course has the best. The Kr is nice and light and it will give you the very best image quality and ISO performance out of the 3 cameras. If you go 4/3 you are going to have a 2x crop factor and worse image quality and low light performance. Not that they're not great cameras, but you did say image quality was important. The K7 has all the pro features, but it is heavy and the sensor is not as good as the Kr, though in good lighting I can't really tell the difference. The K7's pro features let you change settings much quicker. It really is a joy to use.
09-04-2011, 02:39 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I feel that you answered your own question.

In your compaison, E620 does not have video (K-r and K-7 have).

All in all it, it seems that the K-7 is spot on for your needs.

The only weakness of the K-7 compared to K-r is the high-ISO. But I have K-7 and I can get some excellent shots in low-light conditions with a fast lens. Simply you cannot compare camera bodies without taking into account the lenses. Seceral tiimes I was shooting at sunrise and sunset with my K-7 together with a fast prime (VL 58mm f1.4), and I was the first to shoot at sunrise and the last to shoot at sunset, compared to all other shooters with Canons and Nikons.

In summary: I would go gor the K-7.

Hope that the comment will help.

Last edited by hcc; 09-04-2011 at 01:07 PM.
09-04-2011, 03:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks - sounds like I haven't missed anything big.

It sounds like the choice is between K7 (viewfinder size and brightness, WR and build quality) and E-620 (OM adaptability) and it sounds like they are probably equal in low-light capability and user interface convenience - dials etc?

09-04-2011, 03:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Well that E620 can be bought cheap overhere sometimes. Olympus is loosing space in shops and going out of dslr-market. So don't invest to uch in the system.

Looking at test's the K-7 and E620 are the same al over I think.
DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

If you can spare the money on a K-5 that would be even better.

K-7 is not so good for long exposore shots (> 30 seconds).
09-04-2011, 03:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Well that E620 can be bought cheap overhere sometimes. Olympus is loosing space in shops and going out of dslr-market. So don't invest to uch in the system.

Looking at test's the K-7 and E620 are the same al over I think.
DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

If you can spare the money on a K-5 that would be even better.

K-7 is not so good for long exposore shots (> 30 seconds).
09-04-2011, 04:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I think the K7 measures up fine against the E620. It is against the newer sensors, like what is in the 7D and K5 that it falls down with worse dynamic range and high iso ability. Between those two cameras, I would definitely take the K7 (and save up for a K5).
09-04-2011, 05:00 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
(and save up for a K5).
Geeeez.... the more I read about the K5, the more tempted I get! Only a couple of hundred $ more than the K7 now.

09-04-2011, 05:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

K7

Hello,
I was all set to buy a K-r (after selling my K100D Super), but then saw a K7 for only $200 more. The K7 is a beautiful thing to use. It's solid, both in the feel in the hand, and use of the controls. Initially, I found the functionality daunting, after using the relatively simple K100D S, but a couple of thousand shots in, it's all starting to become familiar. I'd recommend the K7.

Regards
09-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #10

Original Poster
Actually... how is the high ISO noise in the K5 compared to the Kr?

Thinking about this a bit more, I can see myself getting right into architectural interiors at some point. If it's really feasible to get clean images at 3200+ ISO then that opens up a whole lot more possibilities where a tripod is impractical.

(Seeing these lovely works by David Simmonds in the flesh last weekend, in very large prints, has inspired me!)
09-06-2011, 06:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you can afford the K5 go for it. High ISO performance is even better than the k-r.