Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-07-2011, 06:28 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Played the X100 a few times in shops and during exhibitions, tried to like it, but just don't like the way it works, mostly the finder. I even bought a nice Rangefinder Zeiss Ikon w/ a couple of nice Voigtlander LM lenses, but sold them all after the first roll of film,. I guess Rangefinder is just not for me. I'd take an SLR anytime.

But I do enjoy using the Panasonic GF1+20/2.7 bundle somehow, no EVF, just AF w/ liveview ...

09-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I LOVE the look of this camera and the layout of the basic controls. Not crazy about the price, though. In reading about it on Fuji's website, I thought what they had to say about sensors was interesting. Apparently, they weighed whether or not to put a FF sensor in the X100, but decided against it due to overheating considerations, as well as size issues. They felt that APS-C offered the best overall compromise in IQ, sensitivity, size, etc...
09-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently purchased an X100 for my wife, and I'm having a hard time leaving it alone. In fact, the X100 meets my digital needs better than my K-7. (I shoot mostly film--medium format and 35mm).

If Fuji were to come out with an interchangeable lens version of this camera, I would probably dump all of my dslr gear.

One point of note: this camera has a 'hybrid' viewfinder. That is, it is both optical (with a limited electronic overlay) and fully electronic. This provides the best of both worlds. And, as I understand it, such a viewfinder could overcome the principal objection to rangefinders--the inability to focus accurately with longer lenses.

Anyone who has used a rangefinder knows that focusing with a 90mm or 135mm lens is a hit or miss affair. The Fuji's electronic viewfinder could--when switched to electronic mode--easily overcome this difficulty.
09-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I loved my time with it, as well...

QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
I recently purchased an X100 for my wife, and I'm having a hard time leaving it alone. In fact, the X100 meets my digital needs better than my K-7. (I shoot mostly film--medium format and 35mm).

If Fuji were to come out with an interchangeable lens version of this camera, I would probably dump all of my dslr gear.

One point of note: this camera has a 'hybrid' viewfinder. That is, it is both optical (with a limited electronic overlay) and fully electronic. This provides the best of both worlds. And, as I understand it, such a viewfinder could overcome the principal objection to rangefinders--the inability to focus accurately with longer lenses.

Anyone who has used a rangefinder knows that focusing with a 90mm or 135mm lens is a hit or miss affair. The Fuji's electronic viewfinder could--when switched to electronic mode--easily overcome this difficulty.
...and with the 'geek' user group already up for this camera, I think Pentax needs to look seriously into this category - it's more than a 'retro' fad - it's the joy of photography, in it's purest form, rediscovered! And I loved the viewfinder, and the heads-up display inside it. A beautifully built piece of kit, and the leather case and strap were amazing as well. Thoroughly loved the thing, niggly details about the menu system aside...when you're out taking pictures, it's fabulous. You can adjust the thing when you get back home.

Here's some larger shots from it:

They both look absolutely amazing on my 27" iMac.

Cheers,
Cameron