Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A friend bought a Fuji X100...

what a fantastic camera....renews one's love of photography with it's style and simplicity. The pictures are fantastic, as is the act of taking them, and what an amazing looking piece of kit with that beautiful leather case...a fantastic thing. It struck me while using it that once again, PENTAX has missed the boat here, and it's something we have talked about and rumoured about since the first limited lens came out in about 1997 or so - they should do a rangefinder. They've got the perfect little lenses to do it with, the limiteds, and I'm going to BET that this Fuji sells like friction' crazy. My friend that bought his says he was #6 on a waiting list which has gotten considerably longer since at a local camera store...they're lining up for it.

Pentax, do a little manual jewel of a rangefinder to match the limiteds....I think the world would beat a path to their door. Of course, we've been saying this now since 1997...my time with the Fuji X100 PROVES to me that they should do it. Perfect camera for older folks who grew up with film, but are mystified by menus that are 10 deep and five wide, with custom programs, etc. Shutter speed knob, aperture on the lens, beautiful jewel like construction, fixed focal length lens...fantastic!

Nice job, Fuji! Inspite of the negative press, this is a simply wonderful camera, renewing ones love of the art of photography. I can just imagine a Pentax 20 megapixel rangefinder with the 15, 21, 31, 35, 40, 43, 70, and 77 limiteds, image stabilization built into the body...that would be a WONDERFUL thing!

I'll get my friend to send me some images we took yesterday. I know this is a Pentax forum, but we're trying to goad them into some action here.

Cheers,
Cameron

09-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Jri
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
I can just imagine a Pentax 20 megapixel rangefinder with the 15, 21, 31, 35, 40, 43, 70, and 77 limiteds, image stabilization built into the body...that would be a WONDERFUL thing!
Exept that SLR lenses can not be used on a compact camera. The flange distance of all SLR lenses mean that the hypothetical rangefinder would have to be as thinck as an SLR, which would make it quite useless as a compact camera.
09-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

They will never make a rangefinder. It doesn't even make sense, corporate-wise, since PENTAX introduced the reflex itself.

On the other hand, I think they could release a camera in the same vibe as the Fuji X100, some sort of vintage comeback. I would love a body like a ME or MX packing a digital sensor and big viewfinder. The problem is that something this size would probably mean no AF and image stabilization, or no optical viewfinder. Maybe, once EVF technology improves, such comeback will be feasible.
09-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #4

But the X100 is not a rangefinder. It just has rangefinder styling. The combined optical/EVF viewfinder is a great idea, however.

I like rangefinders, but there's only one manufacturer that makes a digital rangefinder and the price is through the roof. For that money, you have to consider the 645D with the wide angle lens.

09-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I spent some time with an X100 at a trade show a few months ago. I found the thing fiddly to use, the optical viewfinder was nice enough, but switching over to the EVF made me put the camera down and write it off as worthless.
If they had focus coupled the optical finder so that it was good for something, they would have a winner, but the EVF has to go.
09-05-2011, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Every time this comes up I have to wonder if the people who want a rangefinder that will use the Pentax Limited lenses have the slightest idea what a rangefinder camera even is.

Registration distance aside.....there is no way to couple the lenses to the focus mechanism.
09-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #7

Every time I think I might want something like an X100, but know I really shouldn't spend that sort of money, I do 2 things:

(1) I pull the Oly E-P2 with 17/2.8 pancake lens out of my briefcase and try to like it - and then realize how annoying focus by wire really is; and,

(2) I grab the K-7 with DA 40 Limited and go for a walk.

By the time I've finished my walk the urge to buy another not-quite-there-yet-in-terms-of-design-camera passes.

Edit to add: By the way, in case anyone thinks I'm disparaging the X100 (or the E-P2) I'm not. I really like fixed length lenses on little cameras. My all time favorite is still the Contax G-2 in fact. I really wanted the E-P2 to work for me, but the controls are confusing and easily changed at the wrong time, especially if you carry it in one hand the way I prefer to. I think the Fuji may be getting closer, but it looks like it might be really easy to move some of those dials when you don't want them to move. Locks would have been nice (like on the K-7 mode dial).

Last edited by Frank B; 09-05-2011 at 04:20 PM.
09-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm with you. I'd love to have a nice simple little fixed-lens digital rangefinder. Something along the lines of a digital version of the good old Konica C35. Or in a larger build a Yashica Electro 35.

09-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Every time this comes up I have to wonder if the people who want a rangefinder that will use the Pentax Limited lenses have the slightest idea what a rangefinder camera even is.

Registration distance aside.....there is no way to couple the lenses to the focus mechanism.
Well, the X100 is auto focus so its not exactly grandpa's rangefinder. Plus it has the hybrid optical/evf viewfinder.
09-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I see the X100 as sort of a niche camera, its not going to appeal to everyone and not all companies should follow suit immediately and build one. I was about to agree with hcarvalhoalves and say they should build a sort of retroish dslr, but then I realized that it is 2011, and they should build an even more awesome version of the k5, a lens with more than 300mm of reach, and a teleconverter.
09-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That is why they are called "consumers".
09-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Sure there is! Just use the AF drive screw. And a chip on each lens, to tell the Krf what its close-focus distance is, so when the lens is mounted, the Krf can index it. Of course, this will require a new lens line...
09-06-2011, 05:39 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
That is why they are called "consumers".
Hate to break it to you but many pros are some of the biggest consumers on the planet. Even those that rent big long glass . . . rental is part of the service industry. Then there is printing and all that. My strategy is to by lenses for the long haul in a price range that is viable for me and use bodies as long as possible. I am not sure how many pros use the X100. I have heard of them using the LX3, LX5 and Leica versions due to their compactness and quality.
09-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
One pic...

Great little camera, and I found it fun to use, in spite of all the bickering. Has Provia, Velvia, and Astia settings, as well. Pentax should do one, and/or a retro SLR. I loved this little thing.

Cheers,
Cameron
09-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/153674-pentax-2012...ra-lineup.html

some discussion on rangefinder hybrid