Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax K10D guides ?

I've got a new Pentax K10D and I'm quite pleased with it, but it is a complicated camera and while the manual is good, I would like to get some guides to add to my knowledge.

I'm looking at getting a Magic Lantern Guides: Pentax K10D .

Are there any other Pentax K10D guides out there, other than the Magic Lantern ?

Thank you.

12-02-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The only other book for the Pentax K10D is the "Pentax K10D" book by Yvon Bourque. I have both books and urge others to buy both as well. However, if I had to choose only one, I would opt for the Magic Lantern Guide over the Pentax K10D book. In my opinion, the Magic Lantern Guide is more complete and more polished. I also don't like the looseleaf pages with plastic spiral-comb spine of the Pentax K10D book.

stewart
12-02-2007, 10:54 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I'm afraid i cant comment on the magic lantern as i dont own it as yet but have downloaded the K10D book and am rather pleased with it..Would recomend it..
Cheers
12-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
The only other book for the Pentax K10D is the "Pentax K10D" book by Yvon Bourque. I have both books and urge others to buy both as well. However, if I had to choose only one, I would opt for the Magic Lantern Guide over the Pentax K10D book. In my opinion, the Magic Lantern Guide is more complete and more polished. I also don't like the looseleaf pages with plastic spiral-comb spine of the Pentax K10D book.

stewart
What he said

12-02-2007, 12:55 PM   #5
Inactive Account

The K10D Book is nice, but I found that it more or less tells you what you can already find in the owners manual, just laid out in a more user friendly order. It includes a few bits a peaces not found in the manual, but if youve been doing photography for a while it shouldnt be anything new. The magic langer seems tobe a little more indepth source of information.
12-02-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why not downloading the new sample

For those that are not yet familiar with the K10D "Everything you need to know...and then some" book, a newly expanded free download containing many of the book pages is available. It's free for download and you can see for yourself if this book is for you or not. It would be difficult to write a book about the K10D without explaining some of the same items contained in the Pentax Owners Manual. Although the book has a lot of information about digital photography in general, it is targeted to K10D owners specifically but it is a lot more user friendly that the OEM book. In fact it is guaranteed to do just that or your money will be refunded.

Download excerpts from the book. Of course if you are an advanced amateur or a Pro, you already know most of everything about photography. The K10D "Everything you need to know...and then some" is targeted to entry-level to intermediate photographers, although I constantly receive positive comments from advanced and Pro photographers from all over the world. The book is now also available as a downloadable e-book for $15.00 or printed for $20.00 plus shipping. For people that purchased the book in printed form, the e-book is available for only $5.00.

http://www.pentaxdslrs.com/K10D%20example.pdf

I would be honored if you would log on to my blog and say Hi.
Pentax dslrs

Regards,

Yvon Bourque

Last edited by ebooks4pentax; 12-02-2007 at 05:01 PM.
12-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Yvon. I took a look at the excerpt, and one thing struck me: the section on colorspaces leaves one with the impression that Adobe RGB is inherently superior ("is an improvement over the sRGB gamut"). But this isn't so clear-cut when one is only using 8-bit color (as the JPEG files are) -- you've got a wider range of colors, but the same number of crayons (so to speak). Also, it's important to realize that it's harder to color-correct images in a color space which is outside of the gamut of one's own monitor. Perhaps the (not included) next page addresses this....

I'd also be curious to know (as I mentioned in another thread somewhere) whether the book covers specific details about white balance options. For example, I've read elsewhere that the fine-tune color grid in Nikon or Canon (I forget which) uses a scale where each step is equal to a 6° shift in hue on a color wheel; does the book cover precisely what these steps mean for the K10D? The official manual says just "Seven levels and 225 patterns are available on the G-M and B-A axes", which isn't exactly helpful."

This is just a concrete example of the kind of thing I'd like to see covered -- not just general photography tips applied in specific to the K10D, but technical details that should be in the manual but aren't. Does your book address that kind of thing?
12-04-2007, 09:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
For those that are not yet familiar with the K10D "Everything you need to know...and then some" book, a newly expanded free download containing many of the book pages is available. It's free for download and you can see for yourself if this book is for you or not. It would be difficult to write a book about the K10D without explaining some of the same items contained in the Pentax Owners Manual. Although the book has a lot of information about digital photography in general, it is targeted to K10D owners specifically but it is a lot more user friendly that the OEM book. In fact it is guaranteed to do just that or your money will be refunded.

Download excerpts from the book. Of course if you are an advanced amateur or a Pro, you already know most of everything about photography. The K10D "Everything you need to know...and then some" is targeted to entry-level to intermediate photographers, although I constantly receive positive comments from advanced and Pro photographers from all over the world. The book is now also available as a downloadable e-book for $15.00 or printed for $20.00 plus shipping. For people that purchased the book in printed form, the e-book is available for only $5.00.

http://www.pentaxdslrs.com/K10D%20example.pdf

I would be honored if you would log on to my blog and say Hi.
Pentax dslrs

Regards,

Yvon Bourque
Yvon,

I took a look at the excerpts and I believe my wife has bought your book as an Xmas present for me. I went to your website and enjoyed reading it. I see your origins are Canadian, from Montreal. Well, hello from a Western Canadian (prairies) .

Les

P.S. Thanks to the other posters for your advice. As you can see I listened.

12-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Frankly, I have learned more about my camera and photography on this forum than I have in any manual...
12-06-2007, 02:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yvon, my question above....

k10dbook/Yvon -- I tried to pm you but you've got that disabled. Did you see my question above? I'm not asking to be difficult -- I'd really like to know if your book covers this sort of thing. Thanks...
12-06-2007, 04:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If you're looking for some quick answers regarding modes and when to use it, a fellow member posted screen shots from a powerpoint presentation which seems suitable for beginnings trying to learn more about the K10D.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/15995-pentax-k10d-powerpoint.html
12-06-2007, 10:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter

K10D book contents

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Hi Yvon. I took a look at the excerpt, and one thing struck me: the section on colorspaces leaves one with the impression that Adobe RGB is inherently superior ("is an improvement over the sRGB gamut"). But this isn't so clear-cut when one is only using 8-bit color (as the JPEG files are) -- you've got a wider range of colors, but the same number of crayons (so to speak). Also, it's important to realize that it's harder to color-correct images in a color space which is outside of the gamut of one's own monitor. Perhaps the (not included) next page addresses this....

I'd also be curious to know (as I mentioned in another thread somewhere) whether the book covers specific details about white balance options. For example, I've read elsewhere that the fine-tune color grid in Nikon or Canon (I forget which) uses a scale where each step is equal to a 6° shift in hue on a color wheel; does the book cover precisely what these steps mean for the K10D? The official manual says just "Seven levels and 225 patterns are available on the G-M and B-A axes", which isn't exactly helpful."

This is just a concrete example of the kind of thing I'd like to see covered -- not just general photography tips applied in specific to the K10D, but technical details that should be in the manual but aren't. Does your book address that kind of thing?
You are correct about PM messages mattdm. I had it mistakenly set to where only administrators were able to PM me. I changed it so that any member can PM me.

Now, about the book.

The sRGB and and the Adobe RGB are in the book and the downloadable portion of the book does not show the complete write-up on the subject. Here is what is written.

A computer monitor or camera LCD monitor uses an additive color system. This is to say that all colors reproduced on the screen are emanating from Red, Green or Blue light emitting sources. All other colors are reproduced by mixing the RGB sources. Adding all of the RGB colors produces white. Black is reproduced by the absence of any color source. The problem lies when converting colors from an RGB device to a printer using CMYK and is known to be a subtracting color system. That is a color system composed of pigments, dyes, inks and other substances which present color to the eye by reflection rather than emission. The sRGB color space is known to be good enough for most people. Adobe RGB is used by professional color laboratories and can yield better results in the final printing. Note, however, that sRGB will look brighter on monitors but may be limited in reproducing natural colors when transferred to a printer. Adobe RGB will give better results, in the hands of professional color laboratories and perfectionists. It is more time consuming on the printing side as very careful adjustments generally need to be made.
The default color space used by the K10D is sRGB. It is probably best to try both color spaces with your specific printing device. Use what you perceive as being the best reproduction of the image as seen by you when the picture was taken. After all, it’s all about perception.
To change the color space, press the MENU button. Using the four-way controller, navigate right ►►► to the Custom Setting menu. Using the front e-dial, go to page 3/6. Navigate down ▼▼▼▼▼to Color Space, then right ► and choose sRGB or Adobe RGB. Press the OK button twice

As for the White Balance, I explain in a easy-to-understand way: I do not go in the greatest details such as this "uses a scale where each step is equal to a 6° shift in hue on a color wheel " but enough so that entry level to intermediate photographers can easily understand. Here is what I wrote, (without the pictures):Setting to Temperature White Balance

In the White Balance screen, move ▲▼ with the four-way controller to the Tem¬perature White Balance icon. Navigate right ► then up or down ▲▼ to one of the current temperature settings closest to your target. (We chose 4200K for this exam¬ple.) From there, navigate right ► and the screen will change like the screen below.
"Using the front e-dial will change the temperature setting in increments of +/- 100K while using the rear e-dial will change the temperature setting in increments of +/- 1000K. The factory default is 5,000K and the first time you use the temperature white balance setting, all three available temperatures will be at 5,000K. Note that all three temperatures are user definable and each can be saved independently for future use. White Balance adjustment by light temperature is mostly used in studios where particular lighting arrangements are used or are permanently used. Normally, the temperature of the studio lightings is already known. You may need to fine tune the settings further. (See Fine-Tuning at the end of the White Balance settings.)

Fine-Tuning White Balance

The Fine-Tuning of the White Balance is available in all the White Balance settings, but when used in the AWB, it must be enabled. To enable, press the Menu button (16). Using the four-way controller, (29) navigate right ►►► to the Custom Set¬ting menu. Using the front e-dial rotate the dial to page 2/6. Navigate down ▼▼▼▼▼▼ to Fine Tune when AWB, then right ► and ▲▼ to enable or dis¬able. Press the OK button twice.

To fine-tune the White Balance, first focus on your scene. Press the Fn button and navigate left ◄ with the four-way button. The White Balance choices are displayed. Choose the White Balance setting that, in your judgment, represents the kind of lighting in the scene. (For this example, we are using the Daylight balance.) Use the four-way controller and move ► to the right. Now the LCD screen changes and shows the fine-tuning screen. Look at the scene again in the viewfinder and rotate the main switch (3) to the digital preview. The camera takes a digital snapshot of your scene but it is not saved. Instead, it superimposes the scene to the fine-tuning screen of the White Balance. The LCD monitor (below) shows the scene in the background. You can use the four-way controller ▲▼◄► to further adjust the White balance. The fine-tuning is achieved by moving the white dot (cursor) in the matrix to where the white in your scene looks white to you. The top of the matrix represents Green, the bottom Magenta, the right Amber and the left Blue. Once pleased with the results, press the OK button to return to the White balance screen. Press the OK button twice and it returns to shooting. You are ready to shoot the scene with the adjusted and fine-tuned White Balance."
So, the short of it is that I do address some of the general Digital photography outside the K10D, but for this book, I haven't gone too technical. I had about 25 people "Beta testing the book as I was writting and none of the were Professional photographer, which is the audience I was targeting. Maybe with the expected K20D and K200D, I should go into more technical details, or maybe keep the highly technical stuff for a downloadable book. What do you think?

Every book has a niche, and I think that one book cannot contain specifics about the camera all the way to the princilpe of Digital photography. Most people just want to take pictures of the kids, vacation trips, holidays, etc.

Regards, and thank you for the comments. I really appreciate comments and will try to incorporate what the readers want, expecially in my future books as Pentax introduces new DSLRs.

Last edited by ebooks4pentax; 12-06-2007 at 10:58 PM.
12-07-2007, 05:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
Maybe with the expected K20D and K200D, I should go into more technical details, or maybe keep the highly technical stuff for a downloadable book. What do you think?
I would certainly buy a book containing technical details not available elsewhere, either in paper or downloadable (preferred) form.

Thanks for the detailed answer.
12-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Frankly, I have learned more about my camera and photography on this forum than I have in any manual...
I have found this website and also Steve's website to be very helpful. I was having some initial problems with getting my K10D to work and had puzzled over the manual. I sent the question to Steves and within minutes had received two replies from fellow Pentaxians that got the K10D working. I didn't know about this website at the time, but it has also been very helpful.
12-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have found this website and also Steve's website to be very helpful. I was having some initial problems with getting my K10D to work and had puzzled over the manual. I sent the question to Steves and within minutes had received two replies from fellow Pentaxians that got the K10D working. I didn't know about this website at the time, but it has also been very helpful.
Is there a link to Steve's website?