Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Camera setup before a photo shoot?

Here's a newbie question! I'm trying a lot of different settings on my K10D. Several times I've started
the camera and took a picture, and it looks horrible. Then I remember that I changed WB or something the
last time I used it.

A week or two ago, I tried to take a few pics of the full moon. I was changing EV, WB, switched to manual
focus, aperature, priority, switched to spot metering, you name it.

I went inside, downloaded the pictures, and put the camera away. A few nights later I tried to take a picture of my cat.
It looked like one of us was on drugs. It took me a while to remember all the stuff I had changed.

Do you have a method (checklist) to make sure everything is set properly before a shoot?

Thanks!

12-18-2006, 11:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I tended to do that with ISO, I would set it to 1600, and then forget to check when I use the camera again a few days later. Other settings I remmber to check, ISO I always forget..

So to try and stop that I tend to remember to set it back before I put the camera away, works better for me that way..
12-18-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to do it all the time too. Now I try to remember to do a quick "pre shoot" check and set ISO to 200, WB to Auto, check which priority I'm in, and metering mode set to center weighted. That way I at least have the camera set to my "defaults" when I start shooting. Of course I frequently change settings and then forget while I'm shooting. You could put a small piece of paper with the word "defaut?" written on it in some conspicuous corner to remind yourself if you are so inclined. Or you can try to remember
I Will Photograph Magnificently. Meaning check ISO? White Balance?, Priority? and Metering mode?. It helped me in the beginnging. Now if I can only remember to do this while I'm shooting.
One other thing, you don't have to worry about WB if you shoot Raw.

NaCl(hope that helps)H2O +
12-18-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

We've all been there. I know that I have, and like Joele, it was usually the ISO setting. One thing that has helped is to set the auto ISO to a manageable range and to set the ISO warning to anything higher than what I would normally want to shoot at.

Usually, I only shoot in one of two modes. Either Manual (M) or Aperture Priority (Av). That covers just about all of my shooting needs. For those times when I set Tv mode, (such as sports), I reset it back to M or Av before I put the camera away after the shoot. Since I shoot RAW most of the time now, I don't need to worry about white balance much. For those times when I do shoot JPEG, AWB has worked fine.

After so many goof-ups and bad shots, I finally drilled into my brain to check the stupid settings before taking any shots. You only mess up so much before you realize that, "Dang! Forgot to reset the settings again." Eventually, you won't forget anymore . . . or hardly anymore.

12-18-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

User Mode.

Set camera to personal defaults, save as USER. Switch from user to situational wierdness; then switch back.
12-18-2006, 04:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

D*mn, (Slap side of head) What a great idea. Why didn't I think of that.
12-18-2006, 05:17 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I do a "shoot" I set everything to manual. Auto settings change too much with minor changes in the scene. If I am in a controlled shoot then I want consistent results. I do a few test shots to get the histogram where I want it then I'm on my way. User mode is a great way to acheive this.
12-18-2006, 06:53 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
User Mode.

Set camera to personal defaults, save as USER. Switch from user to situational wierdness; then switch back.

Bingo! I'm going through all of my settings now, and putting them back to default. Then I will save it
as USER.

Thanks jfdavis58. I learn a ton in this forum!

12-19-2006, 10:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

WIFE
W - White balance
I - ISO
F - aperture
E - exposure compensation (if using P/Av/Tv)

Your welcome :-)
12-19-2006, 01:34 PM   #10

That was nice...

Last time I forgot about E (EV compensation)- it was left to -1EV for some 100 shots on a bright sunny day- lucky me that was shooting RAW and could salvage the pics rather OK...
So remembering to check WIFE routinely :-)

Best and happy shooting, JR