Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member
jerryleejr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 420
K7, Kx, Kr, Information overload

I have spent the better part of week on this forum researching and finding out what I have missed over the years in the digital World. My last DSLR was a Canon 300D and *ist DS. I am a little OCD when it comes to making a purchase and want to be as informed as possible and try to balance what I want with what I need. So instead of my knee jerk reaction of running out and getting the latest and greatest and throwing money at something. I decided to take a different approach. My initial budget could allow me to get a K5, However I knew that this as for most people would not be my last camera. The K5 is an amazing camera, But I wanted to ease back into Pentax and learn what I like and dont like about the brand as well as ultimately what I need a camera to do in the end. So that being said I ended up getting both the K7 and a Kr for what the K5 would have cost me. This will allow me and my wife to learn and grow our skills and eventually upgrade to the latest and greatest when the time comes. I say all this because if I would have went with alot of the posts on here I may have still been waiting for the next "Big" thing because the "K7 cant do this" or the "Kr is good but" threads get scary at times. Its all good information but people need to glean what applies to their situation and take everything else with a grain of salt. I looked at my ability and skill level and decided what to do based on that budget and ability goes along way in these decisions. Im just happy that I am now back in the Pentax camp and look forward to getting out and enjoying Photography once again. This wasnt a rant just started getting information overload and second guessing my self when at the end of the day all I want is to enjoy my work.

JJ

09-06-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
Good going! Now you can buy a pile of lenses.
09-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lyngby, Copenhagen
Photos: Albums
Posts: 742
Smart move actually. Those two cameras complement each other very well. Between them they give you weather sealing, lowlight capabilities, compactness, and two-wheel controls. And you get to have two cameras, either to share with your wife or you can be a two-cam gunslinger for events.

So - what colour K-r did you get? Don't say you overrationalized and got a boring black one :-)

Regards,
--Anders.
09-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member
jerryleejr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 420
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Good going! Now you can buy a pile of lenses.
Yes the wife already got my wish list from B & H and fell over LOL

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
Smart move actually. Those two cameras complement each other very well. Between them they give you weather sealing, lowlight capabilities, compactness, and two-wheel controls. And you get to have two cameras, either to share with your wife or you can be a two-cam gunslinger for events.

So - what colour K-r did you get? Don't say you overrationalized and got a boring black one :-)

Regards,
--Anders.
Red of course, just wish they made matching lenses or different colors. I saw a couple offered when the Kx was new but cant seem to find many.

JJ

09-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
I have both those cameras as well, and they are complementary. I wish I could get my wife interested in photography, but she is happy with her point and shoot.
09-06-2011, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,563
Jerry,

You have made a *wise* decision.
But you could have used a more simple approach and just have a look at the camera real life results....

I have a K-7 and a K-5 and work with them side by side.
Still the K-7 is a wonderfull camera.
There has been a lot of critisism all around the K-7, especially on its noise production and its dynamic range.

Before the K-7 I had a K10D, sold it.
I can still remember the exitement people had for the resolution and the low light performance of the K20D.
Somehow people expected the same sort of step up between the K20D and the K-7.
Lack of IQ improvement does not mean that the K-7 IQ is bad in the first place.

In terms of noise and DR that did not happen.
All the more did it happen on the system upgrade with the K-7 body!
After one gets used to the ergonomics, it is *great*.
There was no other camera close in that class with all the features and functions packed into that machine.

Still my K-5 has not been able to make as beautifull shots as my K-7, also because I've not been in the position to do so, but still...

You must learn to understand the characteristics of the K-7.
For instance, the amount of visible noise is hardly noticeable in case of dark pictures with bright subjects.
When those pictures are then touched up in post processing, it can look impressive.

Let me show you what I mean.
This bush baby picture was taken hand held (SR on) with a DA*60-250mm and a K-7.
I could hardly see the primate with my own eyes, it was attracted with a piece of banana on a rod with a very small red LED lamp.

ISO 6400, focus 153mm, f 4.0, s 1/13 sec:

Not bad, huh? However, I did use NR in PP here.

Or this one, same camera & lens.
ISO 3200, 250mm, f4.5, 225mm:


ISO 1600, focus 250mm, f 4.0, 1/50 sec. NO noise reduction (I shoot 100% RAW):

Noise? I think it is more than acceptable.

Like this one again (ISO 1600, no PP):


This one taken with a DA* 16-50mm @ 50mm, ISO 1600, no PP:


Same lens and camera, now ISO 800:


And one more on ISO 1600:


Ok, it is not the ISO 6400 or even ISO 128000 that I sometimes use on the K-5, but well, when do you *really* need that?

Congrats again and have fun with these great camera's you've bought!

Bert
09-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,679
Well done on your decision - you have two very capable cameras now.
Reality is fora will be full of 'problems' found in each camera, but as long as the gear does what you'd like to get out of them, you have found contentment.
Enjoy it.
09-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
Great samples bymy141. Now I want a DA* 60-250!

09-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
Nice post jerryleejr.

I am also a bit OCD with any purchase over $50, and really struggled with my decision also.

I won't get into the whole long, drawn our story, but I ended up with a K20D and a K-x.

I feel this gives me the best (or close to best) of both worlds for the time being. Also a big factor is that I can share my hobby with my wife having 2 bodies that can share lenses.

From time to time I lust after a K-5, but when I do some shooting with what I have I am more than pleased with my current setup. I am now saving up for some faster glass.
09-07-2011, 02:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,563
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Great samples bymy141. Now I want a DA* 60-250!


Sorry, about that...

I also have a DA 55-330mm lens, great for its size and weigth, but the DA* 60-250mm is hard to beat.
It focuses in very low light, AF is not that fast, but it is tack sharp over the whole range and I like its bokeh a lot.
No regrets on that lens...
Also I use it a lot in combination with a Pentax 1.7x AF TC.

Bert
09-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member
jerryleejr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 420
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Jerry,

You have made a *wise* decision.
But you could have used a more simple approach and just have a look at the camera real life results....

I have a K-7 and a K-5 and work with them side by side.
Still the K-7 is a wonderfull camera.
There has been a lot of critisism all around the K-7, especially on its noise production and its dynamic range.

Before the K-7 I had a K10D, sold it.
I can still remember the exitement people had for the resolution and the low light performance of the K20D.
Somehow people expected the same sort of step up between the K20D and the K-7.
Lack of IQ improvement does not mean that the K-7 IQ is bad in the first place.

In terms of noise and DR that did not happen.
All the more did it happen on the system upgrade with the K-7 body!
After one gets used to the ergonomics, it is *great*.
There was no other camera close in that class with all the features and functions packed into that machine.

Still my K-5 has not been able to make as beautifull shots as my K-7, also because I've not been in the position to do so, but still...

You must learn to understand the characteristics of the K-7.
For instance, the amount of visible noise is hardly noticeable in case of dark pictures with bright subjects.
When those pictures are then touched up in post processing, it can look impressive.

Let me show you what I mean.
This bush baby picture was taken hand held (SR on) with a DA*60-250mm and a K-7.
I could hardly see the primate with my own eyes, it was attracted with a piece of banana on a rod with a very small red LED lamp.

ISO 6400, focus 153mm, f 4.0, s 1/13 sec:

Not bad, huh? However, I did use NR in PP here.

Or this one, same camera & lens.
ISO 3200, 250mm, f4.5, 225mm:


ISO 1600, focus 250mm, f 4.0, 1/50 sec. NO noise reduction (I shoot 100% RAW):

Noise? I think it is more than acceptable.

Like this one again (ISO 1600, no PP):


This one taken with a DA* 16-50mm @ 50mm, ISO 1600, no PP:


Same lens and camera, now ISO 800:


And one more on ISO 1600:


Ok, it is not the ISO 6400 or even ISO 128000 that I sometimes use on the K-5, but well, when do you *really* need that?

Congrats again and have fun with these great camera's you've bought!

Bert
Thanks Bert, The pics are awesome btw I cant wait for my K7 to get here my wife will keep the Kr and use it until I get back Hope to get up to speed enough to get those kind of results.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Well done on your decision - you have two very capable cameras now.
Reality is fora will be full of 'problems' found in each camera, but as long as the gear does what you'd like to get out of them, you have found contentment.
Enjoy it.
Ash,
I really think I did well by not just jumping on the K5 it is an awesome camera but this way I have two bodies and time to figure out my likes and dislikes and who knows maybe in a year I can pick a K5 up at a decent price.

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Nice post jerryleejr.

I am also a bit OCD with any purchase over $50, and really struggled with my decision also.

I won't get into the whole long, drawn our story, but I ended up with a K20D and a K-x.

I feel this gives me the best (or close to best) of both worlds for the time being. Also a big factor is that I can share my hobby with my wife having 2 bodies that can share lenses.

From time to time I lust after a K-5, but when I do some shooting with what I have I am more than pleased with my current setup. I am now saving up for some faster glass.
I agree, I want the K5 as well but by the time I figure out which end is up with these two then I will be that much more confident with whatever model is top of the line from Pentax in a couple years and who knows I may just end up with a K5 then instead. I am all about using what I need and now I can invest in really good "glass" in the meantime

JJ
09-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
Pentaxian
redrockcoulee's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Medicine Hat
Posts: 2,098
The 'best' camera is not always the best one for you. I think you made a very intelligent decision. At my last job I was looking to replace a Nikon D1X and the other photographers bought D2X and I decided the D200 was a better one for what I was doing. And that was not even my money. Needing a Pentax mount digital to go along with my film Pentax and my wife's K10D I was originally thinking K5 but then thought I could get the K-r sooner, it was smaller and I know I would be replacing it or the K10D in the next three years so might as well go with the K-r. For me the small size was a major factor as wanted to be able to throw it in the case with the MF or LF gear and the K-r is enough smaller in size to make that easier.

Learning your cameras and learning together will improve your photography quicker and most likely more advanced than getting the newer top of the line model. I would have liked the dual dials but then I would also like to be younger and to win the lottery.

Again I think you made a very intelligent decision and most likely the best one in your situation. The K-r is a great camera and does a much better job of most things then the D1X did and that was a 5 grand camera and good enough for pros not that long ago. The biggest complaint I have with digital (still mostly a film guy) is not with digital but with the users who are always pushing the "need" for the newest and best upgrades. Practice, reading and some workshops will do more than getting the higher or newer model unless there are features that you actually do require. And most importantly enjoy photography, both you and your wife. That is what it should all be about.
09-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #13
Site Supporter
hman's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Salt Lake City. UT
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 266
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Good going! Now you can buy a pile of lenses.
You are a scream!! I look forward to reading your posts mostly for the wealth of info, but also for the witty comments.
09-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #14
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,311
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Red of course, just wish they made matching lenses or different colors. I saw a couple offered when the Kx was new but cant seem to find many.

JJ
AFAIK only the DA L 18-55, DA L 50-200 & DA 35/2.4 are made in colors other than black or silver. The 35/2.4 is only available in multiple colors in Japan, but you can get them on evilBay.
09-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by hman Quote
You are a scream!! I look forward to reading your posts mostly for the wealth of info, but also for the witty comments.
Sometimes I'm only halfway there. Oh bother...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
ability, budget, camera, dslr, information, k5, k7, kr, overload, pentax, people, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax Refund LBA Overload raymeedc Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 05-11-2011 09:23 PM
People christmas stupor / overload.... dcmsox2004 Post Your Photos! 2 12-31-2010 03:33 PM
Information Overload? khardur General Talk 10 07-08-2009 10:03 AM
Pentaxium overload rparmar Post Your Photos! 19 04-13-2009 04:22 AM
Information Overload Mike Cash Post Your Photos! 6 12-18-2007 07:39 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:18 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top