Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2006, 12:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K10D: Metering in other than A

OK, this came up during a few post on DPR way before the uproar over Phil's review.

Basically, the issue was inaccurate metering using older (pre A) lenses.

Running through some test myself, I was getting about 3-4 stop of over exposure.

Bad thing was that the readings were not consistent across different lenses.

Same test done with the D and DS were dead on, or within 1/2 stop.

Anybody else notice this or have any comments on the subject. I reminded myself of this issue yesterday when I broke out an older lens and the shots were over exposed.

12-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

not the k10 but i find with the k100 different lenses expose differently there is also a variation with flash exposures perhaps by as much as 1.5 f-stops..

i have no idea why..

trog
12-18-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dhodgeh Quote
-snip

Anybody else notice this or have any comments on the subject. I reminded myself of this issue yesterday when I broke out an older lens and the shots were over exposed.
If you got it right on with the DS you were very lucky. I have to compensate all the time. It does however causing me trouble at large aperture values mainly.
In depth at:
DS, exposure woes, [800 kB]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

regards,
12-18-2006, 03:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had no trouble on the DS, D or K100d though the only M series lenses I really ever used on my DS were the 135/3.5 and 200/4

I will try them both out tonight on my K10d to see how the go...

I think I have a M50/2 in the cupboard somewhere too..

What lenses gave you guys problems?

Last edited by joele; 12-19-2006 at 01:09 AM.
12-19-2006, 12:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dhodgeh Quote
OK, this came up during a few post on DPR way before the uproar over Phil's review.

Basically, the issue was inaccurate metering using older (pre A) lenses.

Running through some test myself, I was getting about 3-4 stop of over exposure.

Bad thing was that the readings were not consistent across different lenses.

I don't think D and DS are dead on. My experience with the 3 *ist D bodies and 3 DS bodies which had passed thro my hands are all the same, that is, inaccurate metering, inconsistency with different lenses!

My K100D is quite accurate, but only with Centre-Weighted Average metering. The 16-segment metering is of Low IQ, which I could never rely on but isn't that the multi-segment metering should be used as the fool-proof default? Somtimes, I need convenience and do not have the time to manipulate the CWA meter (although it is accurate) when in a hurry or for causal shootings.

For what you described with your K10D body, I think something must be seriously wrong!