Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Vacation - Lessons Learned

So I just got back from Cancun after a week long vacation.
It was great, and my K-5 worked as expected.

But I did learn some lessons.
I am from dry, non-humid SoCal, so I did not realize the power of condensation in a tropical environment. As soon as I stepped out of my cool AirConditioned room, my camera and lens got a layer of condensation on it, and the lens and eye piece fogged up. After the temp of the camera normalized to the outside temp, it was fine. But it is real disconcerting the first time you see it.
Can there be long term effects to my non-weather sealed lenses from that type of exposure?

Also, I only brought prime lenses...although I do love prime lenses, i did feel like they got cumbersome on the Mayan ruins tour I took, and a zoom lens wouldve been greatly beneficial.

Now comes the processing

09-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Put the lens in some sunlight or bright incandescent light for a little while and you should be cleared of anything that could grow on it.
09-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
So I just got back from Cancun after a week long vacation.
It was great, and my K-5 worked as expected.

But I did learn some lessons.
I am from dry, non-humid SoCal, so I did not realize the power of condensation in a tropical environment. As soon as I stepped out of my cool AirConditioned room, my camera and lens got a layer of condensation on it, and the lens and eye piece fogged up. After the temp of the camera normalized to the outside temp, it was fine. But it is real disconcerting the first time you see it.
Can there be long term effects to my non-weather sealed lenses from that type of exposure?

Also, I only brought prime lenses...although I do love prime lenses, i did feel like they got cumbersome on the Mayan ruins tour I took, and a zoom lens wouldve been greatly beneficial.

Now comes the processing
I lived in Vietnam for 8 years and traveled almost all countries in South East Asia, so yes I know what you mean. I don't think there any long term effect if you maintain your equipment properly. What I normally do is after each trip I just store my equipment inside a dry cabinet to suck out all the excess humidity. If you don't have a dry cabinet, just store inside a ziploc bag with a few silica bags.
09-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Awesome...thanks for the advice

09-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A similar problem in winter climates - but reversed. Bringing cameras inside would always fog them up, which caused lots of issues doing reportage and event work. I'd keep a second camera inside my coat to use until the others warmed up. But this was back in the '60s when cameras had no electronics. I'd worry more about electrical issues with condensation today. Texas has NO condensation issues this summer - and no rain.
09-07-2011, 06:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

For your next trip, put the camera and lenses in Zip-Lock bags before going outside. This will relocated the condensation to the outside of the bag and off the camera. Remove the equipment from the bags once the equipment reaches the temperature outside (Doesn't take that long).

Tim
09-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
For your next trip, put the camera and lenses in Zip-Lock bags before going outside. This will relocated the condensation to the outside of the bag and off the camera. Remove the equipment from the bags once the equipment reaches the temperature outside (Doesn't take that long).

Tim
That's a great tip i usually just have a small face towel in the bag and don't take out the camera after a minute or two between climate changes longer for bigger gaps.

09-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
See, this is the great stuff you miss out on when you live in California, LOL.
09-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow!

I have never seen condensation on anything in taiwan going from AC to 95F humid temps. How cold was your AC?

I did have this happen when I left the penguin exhibit at the aquarium though. It is annoying since you can't take pictures.
09-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
See, this is the great stuff you miss out on when you live in California, LOL.
Stay at elevation and semi-deserts, and this doesn't happen. Even going from my heated mountain home out to a sub-zero meadow in mid-winter, my gear doesn't suffer condensation, not like I saw in a couple winters in Kansas. That's why I like the USA West, the Mexican and Guatemalan highlands, etc. No fog-over, por favor.
09-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #11

Happens in Houston too.