Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

M, mostly (read Peterson - he seemed to be pushing "M", so I thought I'd try it for a while)
Av, much less
Tv, only to stop action

09-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Sorry, but "it depends". Often I'm just in P when wandering around with an A or AF lens on my K20D, but I'll switch to any other mode as needed. With a K or M lens, I'll stay at TAv (effectively Av), and quick-switch to M for Green button use. With an M42 or other non-stop-down lens, I'll be in any auto mode, which default to Av, unless I want M control. So "it depends" on the lens and the need.
09-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With my 300 I have just started using Av, Auto ISO off, and set to EV steps, and I have custom set the dials, Front ISO, and Rear Aperature.

For walking around I use "User" setting, also set to Av, but with auto ISO set between 100-250 again in EV steps, and traditional Front dial - Shutter, Rear Dial - Aperature.

Then sometimes P, when I'm just shooting Happy snaps, Freinds, family.
09-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Av here, primarily, with TAv once in a while.
On the K-5 and K-x I am comfortable with letting the ISO float.

09-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm usually in P mode as I rarely use manual lenses, and there I take advantage of hyper program and override the camera's shutter speed or aperture when needed, or shift the EV if exposure needs adjustment.
Another vote for P mode. Love the ability to switch between Av and Tv modes with the flick of a wheel!
09-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I shoot full manual, except for auto focus
Same here. My K7 has been on M since the day I got it.
09-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Most of the time, I'll shoot with the exposure mode dial itself on P, but the camera will actually be in Av mode. Works most of the time; otherwise, I'll be shooting in M mode.

09-08-2011, 12:46 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I started shooting in M around a month ago and have not looked back. I like the control it gives me over the pics and though it took a moment to get use to htting the exposure adjustment to adjust aperture on my K-x when I first started using it, it is almost second nature now. I always start with using the green button to see what the camera reccomends and then I will make adjustments to get the effects I am looking for from there.
09-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've got a K-7 coming my way! It will be a BIG upgrade from my K2000 so I will be reexploring some of these options and the addition of double wheels will hopefully increase the ease of use!
09-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I'm usually in M, sometimes Av, very rarely something else. I prefer to shoot things that don't require fast response from me, so M is no problem. Plus it makes me feel more like a real photographer. (Obviously this doesn't mean a pro.)

It's also the mode that changes the least depending on lens type, and I like my camera consistent.
09-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #26
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Av here, primarily, with TAv once in a while.
On the K-5 and K-x I am comfortable with letting the ISO float.
Pretty much the same for me. I find I go to TAv in low light, but otherwise Av most of the time.
09-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #27
Forum Member

I shoot in Av 90% of time. I like the ability to quickly control the depth of field + I can use the exposure compensation. The rest I shoot in M. I used P from start, when I was new to DSLR photography, but then I tried Av and M and never looked back. I also never use Tv as I just set the aperture in Av as I want and ISO if I need to.
09-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Well, It does Depend. Typically I'm in Av mode unless I'm using an M type lens. On the K5 for quite some time (and always had my K7 set this way) I had ISO on the front e-dial and shutter speed or aperture (for Tv or Av) on the rear dial. With that, I could change ISO on the fly to suit and simply hit the green button (in those modes) to go back to Auto ISO. I can easily flip to Tv and use it the same way. Now, I have EV Comp on the front dial for those modes. Since I've discovered using it, I found myself doing a lot of button pushing (well, one button) to change EV Comp and as a result was missing my shots. I typically keep the K5 at ISO 80 but sometimes I'll let it fly auto between 80-32000.

09-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #29

Av, Tv and M.
09-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm usually in P mode as I rarely use manual lenses, and there I take advantage of hyper program and override the camera's shutter speed or aperture when needed, or shift the EV if exposure needs adjustment. For special applications, such as macro or sports, I may switch to Av or Tv, and when I need to shoot in low light, TAv comes in handy.
Me too (except never used TAv except accidentally).