Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do you use your dial

I am curious about what modes everyone shoots in? The typical answer, I know, is going to be "Well, it depends." But we are creatures of habit and I want to know what you rely on and why or if there is a mode you always use in a certain situation. I think it may be a good way to see how other people get their shots and some of us can learn a thing or two.

For example when I am shooting with my Tamron Adaptall-2 300mm f2.8 + 1.7X AFA I default to (M)anual mode because it seems like the easiest way to change the shutter speed for proper exposure.
But maybe there is a better way to get the most out of this setup?

09-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm shooting in TAv mode most of the time. I want to keep the shutter speed high and stop down the aperture a bit. I'm shooting wildlife a lot, and with a 100mm macro a lot. I'll move to Tv if it's sunny and I want to bump my shutter speed really high.

Of course, if I'm shooting with a fully-manual lens that changes things.
09-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm usually in P mode as I rarely use manual lenses, and there I take advantage of hyper program and override the camera's shutter speed or aperture when needed, or shift the EV if exposure needs adjustment. For special applications, such as macro or sports, I may switch to Av or Tv, and when I need to shoot in low light, TAv comes in handy.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Like Adam, I shoot primarily in P mode. However I use the dial mostly to adjust the shutter speed (ie Tc like mode) because I shoot dynamic scenes for which I have now a good feel for the required shutter speeds.

Hope that the comment may be of interest.

09-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm about 50 / 50 for automatic versus manual lenses so:
1. If Auto: use P mode and shift with E wheel as needed. M for night shots.
2. If Manual: use M or Av mode (Av works Ok with M42 lenses).
09-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I usually go between M and Av the most. The reason I like M, is because if I'm in a constant lighting situation, I can basically set the parameters in M, and know they won't change. If in any of the auto modes, there is a chance that the shutter speed, aperture or ISO change, even if the lighting conditions don't (if the camera meters on a light instead of a wall). I also tend to use the flash when I'm inside, and generally find that I like my metering better than the camera's. If I find myself moving between varying lighting conditions (outdoors - shady to sunny to shady), I'll move over to Av, and hope the camera's metering can handle the situations. I have been burned once or twice with the camera dragging the shutter to get to the right exposure. Now I make sure to underexpose in Av mode just to make sure my shutter speeds stay reasonable. I haven't played too much with TAv, simply because I like keeping my ISO range fairly narrow. Is there a way I can tell the camera to max out at an ISO of 800 in TAv mode?
09-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
hyper program
Is this new on the K-5 or do other models have it?

09-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
hyper program Is this new on the K-5 or do other models have it?
hyper program has been on film cameras ( I forget which ones) and is a really handy feature of pentax cameras.I hardly ever use it though I prefer full manual - or TAv mode if i'm feeling lazy.
09-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

P with no dials most of the time. Full manual is my second most used mode. The rare air-show is Tv. trying to freeze the action.
09-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I use Av most often and auto ISO. In sunlight I'll stay stopped down around f8 for good depth of field. If things get a little darker or I shoot faster action then I'll open up the aperture enough to maintain shutter speed and reasonably low ISO.

For astrophotography, my latest interest, all Manual.
09-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #11
Banned

Photos: Albums
I use Av mode when I need metering and M mode when I don't. In Av mode, I use the dials to adjust aperture and ISO - I also use exposure compensation.
09-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #12

My dial seems to be stuck on M. Whenever I change it, it seems to always return home to manual. I guess if it was good enough for my MX it is good enough for my K5.
In reality, old habits are hard to break and whenever I try to learn to use one of the auto modes it does something I wasn't expecting or didn't want so I go back to M. I do, however, find the Tav a very nice mode.
09-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Is this new on the K-5 or do other models have it?

My K10D has it. Its handy. Its almost as flexible as manual mode. I just half-press to let the camera pick a "proper" exposure. Then I use the e-dials to override it, while still maintaining an equivalent "correct" exposure.
09-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #14
Closed Account

My K20D is on Av mode 95% of the time since my biggest concern is controlling depth of field. I don't like my camera setting its own ISO since noise is an issue on the K20D even at ISO 400.
09-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot full manual, except for auto focus, which I have on a separate control from my shutter. I'll take consistency over 100% correct exposure.

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 09-07-2011 at 08:19 PM.