Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K100D Issues: Three of them

Got a K100D used (yes, this is a learning experience) and it has three key issues. Wondering if someone can give me a clue into what's going on and what my next step should be.

1) The sensor seems to be off set a bit. Not angled, but off-center. The pic I see in the VF is not what I see after I've taken the picture. It's not major, but it's noticeable if you look for it. Is this normal (I have the K10D, so nothing to compare it too)?

2) When I take portrait shots with the camera's RIGHT side up (shutter button up), the shutter release feels very "harsh" and every exposure looks like it has been "bumped." In other words, instead of SR, it looks like "Shake Enhancement". This is with SR on. If I shoot portrait with the shutter button on the bottom, no problem at all. Is this an SR issue? Is the Sensor/SR loose somehow?

3) With longer shutter exposures (night portrait, etc.), and the SR OFF, while the mirror is up, there is a grinding/static/machine-like noise and the picture comes out very blurry (moreso than just having the SR off should be). With SR ON for the night shots, no issue.

So, anyone have any clue on what the heck is going on? If I'm not the original owner, what are my options with Pentax? I checked their site and they list a place about 1.5 hour drive from me as one of their repair sites. I've sent them an e-mail asking if I can bring it in, but no reply yet as I assume their out for the weekend. Any idea on what it costs to fix something like this?

I realize there's a risk in buying used off the net, although I hoped that would be minimized on this forum's marketplace. But, my learning experience. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated though!

Thanks,
Todd

12-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
Got a K100D used (yes, this is a learning experience) and it has three key issues. Wondering if someone can give me a clue into what's going on and what my next step should be.

1) The sensor seems to be off set a bit. Not angled, but off-center. The pic I see in the VF is not what I see after I've taken the picture. It's not major, but it's noticeable if you look for it. Is this normal (I have the K10D, so nothing to compare it too)?

2) When I take portrait shots with the camera's RIGHT side up (shutter button up), the shutter release feels very "harsh" and every exposure looks like it has been "bumped." In other words, instead of SR, it looks like "Shake Enhancement". This is with SR on. If I shoot portrait with the shutter button on the bottom, no problem at all. Is this an SR issue? Is the Sensor/SR loose somehow?

3) With longer shutter exposures (night portrait, etc.), and the SR OFF, while the mirror is up, there is a grinding/static/machine-like noise and the picture comes out very blurry (moreso than just having the SR off should be). With SR ON for the night shots, no issue.

So, anyone have any clue on what the heck is going on? If I'm not the original owner, what are my options with Pentax? I checked their site and they list a place about 1.5 hour drive from me as one of their repair sites. I've sent them an e-mail asking if I can bring it in, but no reply yet as I assume their out for the weekend. Any idea on what it costs to fix something like this?

I realize there's a risk in buying used off the net, although I hoped that would be minimized on this forum's marketplace. But, my learning experience. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated though!

Thanks,
Todd
1. any DSLR shows at best 95% of actual image through the viewfinder. So this may be normal

2. very odd.

3.are you hand holding? if yes SR is no miracel worker, use a tripod. Also on prelonged exposures the SR will always give off a weird "grinding' sort of sound

1 and 3 have explanations, but all 3 together on the other hand sound a bit like a faulty camera. You should really compare with another k100
12-03-2007, 01:42 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just have to agree with previous post.
You don't get to see 100% image in in viewfinder, so the outcome is always bit different. I have used two K100D bodies for a year now, and never had problem with shutter speed as you describe. And as for the noise you hear, it's always there. Try to clean your sensor,f.e.. Doesn't matter if SR is on or off, as soon as the mirror goes up and shutter opens for longer time, there come the noise. So I wouldn't worry about that at all. But combine all three together, I would get the camera checked...
12-03-2007, 09:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's one for ya's..

K10D - Sometimes while manually focusing (seems to depend on lens) when the shutter is release the focus ring rotates a slight bit. You can feel it as your hand is on it!

12-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Here's one for ya's..

K10D - Sometimes while manually focusing (seems to depend on lens) when the shutter is release the focus ring rotates a slight bit. You can feel it as your hand is on it!
Two, er three solutions to this problem, Tom:

1. Turn off AF on the shutter button and use only the [AF] button on the back of the camera (my choice)

2. Once you have obtained focus with the shutter half way, adjust your focus manually without letting go of the button. This takes quite a bit more dexterity than I can come up with, particularly when wearing gloves, therefore see #1 above.

3. Set the camera to MF and manually focus.
12-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If I had to guess, it is that the camera is better supported when holding it with the shutter release on the bottom.
12-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Here's one for ya's..

Is this with a DA lens? It's probably just the quick-shift clutch engaging. For manual focusing, I always just switch off the AF.
12-03-2007, 08:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well..

This is normal. The QC for the CCD alignment against the viewfinder for Pentax DSLRs is somehow loose. Depending on your luckiness, you may get a better body or a worse one.

For the quick checking procedure, see this:

RiceHigh's Pentax K100D Full Review

QuoteQuote:
This is NORMAL. And it is merely about shooting technique instead of a camera issue, frankly. If you shoot vertically with the camera's hand grip upwards, your right arm will have less support and thus your shots will be more prone to hand shakes, despite that this posture would be felt more naturally and it is more convenient to do so.

My opinion is, as I have been telling others on the net for years, to minimize shakes, shooting vertically with hand grip faced downwards PLUS both arms should be "adhered" to our trunks, so as to gain the best support.

QuoteQuote:
This is NORMAL. The SR system is just locking the sensor to a "fixed" position or the sensor will be floating around. The noise is generated when electricity is applied to the electro-magentics for holding the sensor - it is not perfect for the SR system, there is some heardable noise.

You will hear the same thing in the sensor cleaning mode, too.

QuoteQuote:
So, congrats. Except for the first issue, the other two things you found out are actually NORMAL. So, there is probably no need to repair. As for the first issue, I bet Pentax will tell you that it is just "within factory tolerance". And also as the re-alignment is in fact difficult and will involve more risk in making things worse, my humble advice is to accept it unless you find it to be out of your maximum tolerance! :-)

QuoteQuote:
There are always risks no matter you buy brand new or used for those DSLR *toys* nowadays. ;-) In the old days, cameras were really precision tools.