Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2007, 05:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please, Pentax, give us something like this!

The Online Photographer: Splendid News from Sigma

Can you picture it? A DA40 permanently attached to a slightly over-sized Optio body with an APS-C sensor inside? The perfect pocket/street camera.

Sigh...

12-03-2007, 06:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All Pentax needs to do is build a small camera body because they're already building the ultimate lenses for a pocketable camera like this Sigma.
12-03-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Pentax is closer to doing it than anyone could imagine, they don't even know it. lol

Pentax made a 110 camera that had interchangeable lenses - They're all over ebay in all different focal lengths - ALL THEY NEED TO DO IS, beef up the Optio line a wee bit and give it the same 110 mount - Instant pocket DSLR WITH interchangeable lenses. It would totally trump anything currently available, including the mysteriously late-to-market Sigma DP-1...
12-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Was talking about this in another thread prior to the Sigma announcement. I definitely agree the pancake lenses need a more compact body (by compact I mean smaller profile, not just shorter) to complement them.

I haven't bought any of the DA pancake lenses for three reasons.
1) They won't work on my film cameras and I'd rather have the option.
2) They're slow compared to conventional primes.
3) I wouldn't gain much significant benefit from the smaller lens size, because the lens would still be mounted on a chunky modern dSLR.

Now number 3 in that list is obviously the main problem... for me it rather cancels out the 'unique selling point' of the pancake lenses. But if Pentax made a smaller (most importantly flatter) body, so that the body with a pancake lens could realistically be worn under a jacket or kept in a large pocket, I could easily overlook reasons 1 and 2 and be very happy with a high quality compact camera that I could carry everywhere.

12-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

A body like the Olympus e-410? How can they make one even smaller...
12-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
A body like the Olympus e-410? How can they make one even smaller...

Oh, it can be done. Ever seen one of those Pentax 110 SLR's that Tom M was talking about a few posts up? Those things are tiny!
12-03-2007, 10:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Pentax is closer to doing it than anyone could imagine, they don't even know it. lol

Pentax made a 110 camera that had interchangeable lenses - They're all over ebay in all different focal lengths - ALL THEY NEED TO DO IS, beef up the Optio line a wee bit and give it the same 110 mount - Instant pocket DSLR WITH interchangeable lenses. It would totally trump anything currently available, including the mysteriously late-to-market Sigma DP-1...
My camera shop owner and I were talking about that the other day, and he figures they'd sell like hotcakes.

12-03-2007, 10:48 AM   #8
and
Veteran Member

I like the idea of the sigma DP1, I might even consider getting one if the price was right, but the afaik the lens was 28mm f4.0. If it was going to be fixed FL then something like 40mm (effective) would be better. And 2.8 would be a lot better than f4.0, there is no stabalizer and foveon high iso is noisy.
12-03-2007, 11:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Damn! I'm gonna stock up right now on those 110 lenses! I've always been annoyed by them when I was looking for a 24mm, but all this time it was a sign from above...
12-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
3) I wouldn't gain much significant benefit from the smaller lens size, because the lens would still be mounted on a chunky modern dSLR.

Now number 3 in that list is obviously the main problem... for me it rather cancels out the 'unique selling point' of the pancake lenses. [...]
Here's another advantage -- they're small when packed, too, so you can easily fit them into a very compact travel kit or day-shoot kit. If your typical-use lens is a telephoto zoom, you can throw in a wide-angle pancake without much thought.
12-03-2007, 12:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
I like the idea of the sigma DP1, I might even consider getting one if the price was right, but the afaik the lens was 28mm f4.0. If it was going to be fixed FL then something like 40mm (effective) would be better. And 2.8 would be a lot better than f4.0, there is no stabalizer and foveon high iso is noisy.
I agree. Something like the 40 or 45mm f/1.7 lenses on old Yashica and Canon fixed-lens rangefinders. Those lenses are awesome. Of course, it would probably be easier to buy an old Canonet on ebay and scan the negs...
12-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

That's excatly what I'd want it for. A nice quiet rangefinder that will take my limiteds for shooting at a wedding or other hired event. Nothing worse than a nice quiet church and you've framed the great shot and CLICK! the mirror slaps and shutter fires. Drives me nuts.
12-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Oh, it can be done. Ever seen one of those Pentax 110 SLR's that Tom M was talking about a few posts up? Those things are tiny!
Seen one? I know this is from "the other site", but check out my post recently on a find: Help! I can't get these lenses from the 70's to fit on my K10D!!!!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I just did a photoshoot with it (I'm not kidding) and I'm having the film developed as we speak... will post pics when it's done!
12-03-2007, 05:20 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by FireMate Quote
Seen one? I know this is from "the other site", but check out my post recently on a find: Help! I can't get these lenses from the 70's to fit on my K10D!!!!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I just did a photoshoot with it (I'm not kidding) and I'm having the film developed as we speak... will post pics when it's done!
I have (unsuccessfully) bid on more than a few Pentax 110 Auto kits, but that one is freakin' beautiful! It should fetch upwards of $200 of Ebay. For $3 I sure wouldn't kick, but I have my heart set on the 'Super' version.

You can find odd sized film here.
12-03-2007, 07:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

As much as I like the premise of the Pentax Auto 110 camera (and I really do), you couldn't pay me to buy another film version. I purchased a full kit (camera, winder, flash, and several lenses including a cute little zoom) back in the 80's for BMW motorcycle trips and the resulting prints were horrible. The grain from that tiny 110 film, even with ISO-100 and 3x5-inch prints, was incredibly bad. However, I would certainly consider a similar-style digital camera with decent resolution.

stewart