Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2007, 07:20 AM   #1

K10D Automatic Mode

Hi,
planing to buy a DSLR camera and the K10D is on the top of my list. Well there's one small problem, it's not only my list . My Girlfriend also will use the camera quite a lot and she does not really care about camera settings. What she wants is just to switch it on, compose the shot and press the shutter button...

How good is the K10D at this?

The alternative would be the Sony A100 that has all the program modes like a P&S , but is not as nice for manual mode (only one wheel for example).

So, anybody used the automatic mode before and can report?

12-03-2007, 07:31 AM   #2

Well, you'll have to tweak JPEG settings perhaps (once). And in some conditions it's doog to set expo-correction sometimes. Other then that - it's ok.
BTW A100 is definetely worse (my friend uses one).
If you want a truly Point-and-Shoot-DSLR, I'd recommend Olympus E-510, very good camera.
12-03-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got to laugh at this one..

If your GF is going to be a pain and whine about it being too complicated do the smart thing and buy her a cheap P&S - maybe a Canon A570IS for like, $130 or so.. Then, buy yourself a K100D Super or the K10D..

If you want to keep it to one camera, buy the K10D and DA lenses only - They allow the K10D or K100D Super to work very well in AUTO Mode - One reminder, both of those cameras have manual pop-up flashes so, if the flash symbol is flashing in Auto Mode, you need to pop the flash up.
12-03-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by morid Quote
Hi,
planing to buy a DSLR camera and the K10D is on the top of my list. Well there's one small problem, it's not only my list . My Girlfriend also will use the camera quite a lot and she does not really care about camera settings. What she wants is just to switch it on, compose the shot and press the shutter button...

How good is our K10D at this?

The alternative would be the Sony A100 that has all the program modes like a P&S , but is not as nice for manual mode (only one wheel for example).

So, anybody used the automatic mode before and can report?
My wife is using the K10D following this instruction:
- Put all switches in "Green" mode (she can remember this).
- Release flash is the flash blinks in the viewfinder (she does see the flash blinking).
- Turn the focus selection dial in "use center only", the most right position. (this she finds hard to remember)

I've tweeked the JPEG setting a bit and she is fine 98% of the time.
Using our P&S camera, she would never have gotten into selecting a scene mode, which was too complicated for her.
Because the K10D looks more difficult to her, she puts in more attention to get this right.
It is not easy to proof but I'm sure her pictures have better exposure and focus than with the P&S camera

- Bert

12-03-2007, 10:18 AM   #5

My wife is far from being photographically savvy, but has no trouble using my K10D. The 'Green' auto setting works just fine for someone uninterested in tinkering with settings. In fact, she prefers to use the K10D rather than her point and shoot most of the time as she generally gets better photos in the end.
12-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
Sounds good

I see there are others out there doing the same thing. In this case I don't see a problem . Just wanted to be sure that the "green" mode is not total crap...

Btw. she's not whiny - actually at the moment we're using my friends Canon EOS D60 and she's okay with it.
And, yes, I think one can shoot much better pictures with a DSLR than with a P&S even without lot's of knowledge, just think of difficult (low light) conditions...

Thanks everybody!
12-03-2007, 07:14 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Not to worry if my 11 year old daughter can use my K10D in green mode anyone can, All I told her how to do was adjust the focus hold the button halfway down until it was clear and finish pushing the button. The only change in jpeg I made was to set it to bright and the pictures have been impressive. Good luck with your choice and welcome.
12-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've found the K10D to be better for this than the K100D, because I usually want to change the focus select point to auto and metering to matrix when handing it to someone else -- both have quick physical switches on the K10D and are menu items on the K100D. Much less fiddly.

12-03-2007, 08:52 PM   #9
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by morid Quote
Hi,
How good is the K10D at this?
There's a 'joke' one of the more experienced photographers on this board sports in his sig... something to the effect of "I just bought all this expensive camera equipment. Now where's the button I push that makes a good picture?"

In all honestly I had bad experience in Green mode (no flash). I read others who also had bad experience. I talked a co-worker sho was on the fence about the camera into buying a used K10D, and she had bad experience (all the same thing; inconsisten exposure, but usually under-exposed; using the flash you get much better chance of good results, but then the subjects have to be much closer). You can however use the Program modes rather then Green mode to come the closest to a P&S w/good results. That, or say Av mode. You can give her the camera with the aperture on say, f/8, ISO on 400, and she'll most likely take good pics given reasonable light. Speaking generally of course.