Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
shake reduction and older zooms

OK, I know this has been answered like 1000 times but I can't find it either here or in the knowledge base. With the older zooms that don't report focal length, what do you set in the SR? Say for instance a 35-105. Would you set 35? 105? or 70? (halfway)

NaCl(the manual doesn't say)H2O

12-03-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

I would turn SR off!
12-03-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
I would turn SR off!
Reason being? An answer like that is not very helpful without one.
12-03-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Shake reduction snd older zooms

I've wondered the same thing and figured that it would be necessary to treat the zoom as a fixed focal length with SR on (i.e. forego zooming) or turn SR off if I want to use it as a zoom. My thinking is that the SR adjustments must be so fine that the difference between 70mm and 200mm (e.g. for a 70-200 zoom) is likely a material one and I would expect some strange results when set too the wrong length. It would be interesting to know if anyone has done any controlled experiments. Dave

12-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #5

I'm planning to buy an older zoom, so I also gave it some thought.
Without any hard evidence to back it, I tend to think that the options are:
  1. turn SR off (not so nice)
  2. change SR focal length every time (btw. it's actually not so slow, since the position of menu item allows quite fast access)
  3. stick to some constant SR focal lenght, possibly the shortest one you are going to use (as I understand the camera has to compensate more for longer focal length, so that way it will never overcompensate, which likely might be worse than no SR)
But it would be very interesting to see some real tests.
12-03-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If i use my 80-200mm f2.8 manual, I set sr to 77mm (no 80mm) unless I know what focal length I need and have time then I hit menu and up button and readjust. My thinking is alittle sr is better than none - I think if you set it to 200mm and shot at 80mm it could cause blur but haven't really tested it because my method has been working for me
12-03-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Page 69 in the manual:

If the focal length for your lens is not listed above, select the value closest to
the actual focal length (example: [18] for 17 mm and [100] for 105 mm).
When using a zoom lens, select the actual focal length at the zoom setting in
the same manner.

Effect of Shake Reduction is influenced by the shooting distance as well as
focal length information. The Shake Reduction function may not perform as
expected when shooting at close ranges.

12-03-2007, 06:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
Page 69 in the manual:

If the focal length for your lens is not listed above, select the value closest to
the actual focal length (example: [18] for 17 mm and [100] for 105 mm).
When using a zoom lens, select the actual focal length at the zoom setting in
the same manner.

Effect of Shake Reduction is influenced by the shooting distance as well as
focal length information. The Shake Reduction function may not perform as
expected when shooting at close ranges.

Yeah, I read that, but it seems like a real pita to change the SR every time you change your focal length. Especially the way I shoot which is frequently to use the zoom as part of the framing/composing process. That simply won't work for me. I guess I'll have to stick with newer zooms or do like Ole says and just turn it off.

NaCl(I get irked no end when the technological process take over from the artistic ones)H2O

12-03-2007, 06:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You could always consider using a monopod as well with SR off. Not always convenient but certainly much faster than switching settings as you mentioned. Hopefully they could address this in future gen bodies as it all adds to backwards compatability, one of the main reasons i chose Pentax in the first place heh.
12-04-2007, 03:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I held off on getting an older zoom for quite a while precisely because I didn't know a good answer to this question. Then the need for one outweighed the concern and I bit the bullet.

On my 35-105 I set SR at 100 and it seems to be working well. Whether that is the correct or best setting, I have no idea.
12-04-2007, 05:23 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I held off on getting an older zoom for quite a while precisely because I didn't know a good answer to this question. Then the need for one outweighed the concern and I bit the bullet.

On my 35-105 I set SR at 100 and it seems to be working well. Whether that is the correct or best setting, I have no idea.
Thanks Mike, I'll try that, and when I get some time I'll try to do some testing to see if I can come up with any sort of conclusion.

NaCl(I'll set it at 100 for the time being)H2O
12-04-2007, 12:52 PM   #12

I set it to the longest focal length then forget it..If you are using proper holding and shooting technique you won't know the difference!

Dawg
12-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I use a couple of manual zooms a lot and if you set sr for the longest and then shoot wide it will over compensate and produce blur, but set for the short end like 35mm for my 35-70mm and it helps a bit at 70mm even if not optimal. don't take my word though test it for yourself. I was second guessing myself after reading this thread and had to double check- sorry I'm too lazy to post a bunch 'o pics of a duck decoy I was using to test on
12-04-2007, 06:14 PM   #14
Ole
Administrator

I would turn it off because I would suspect that the SR would introduce some vibration when the actual focal length differs from the one set on the menu.
12-04-2007, 11:06 PM   #15

I remember Mo's answer to this question! He suggested to set the shortest focal lenght, so the sensor shakes as for 35mm lens. And at 105mm it still reduces shake only not so precisely. But if You set it to 105mm SR will move sensor as for 105mm and that causes more blur at 35mm.