Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K7 Battery Life

Ok she plugged it in last night and charged it up took one picture this morning and the battery went dead, its less than a year old any ideas??

JJ

09-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps the battery wasn't placed correctly in the charger and therefore didn't get charged. A battery shouldn't wear out in a year, at least none of mine have.
09-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
I've got a grip on my K7 with genuine batteries in both body and grip, and they usually last between 2500 and 3000 photos for the pair of them. i rarely use the built in flash as i have a external flash . so that sounds like it may be a duff battery only lasting that short space of time if it was on the charger properly
09-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
She said when you plugged it in the green light was on, and when she got up this morning the green light was still on

09-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

When you plug the battery in the charger, and switch on the charger, the green light must come on. Once the battery is fully charged, the green light shall go off. The charge takes easily 3-4 hours, possibly 5 hours..

For comparison, my fully-charged K-7 battery lasts 700 to 1000 shots without using the LCD nor flash, or any in-camera PP. Mine is 2 years old and still holds well after about 18,000 shutter counts.

Your problem might be:
- the battery is a 'dud';
- the battery charger is not charging properly; and/or
- the battery was not charged long enough.

I woudl check the contact on the battery, the contacts in the charger, and try again. If the green light is still on after 6 h, I would say that there is a pb and I would go to the local photo store for advice. (I add that the K-7 is a very simple, easy-going camera with very few problem. Yours is most unusual.)

Hope that the comment will help.
09-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
Banned

Photos: Gallery
It is smart to have a spare battery. You can order one from dealextreme for cheap.
09-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
She said when you plugged it in the green light was on, and when she got up this morning the green light was still on
Have her try again, and check and double check that the battery is seated properly in the charger.
If that doesn't solve things, it means either the battery isn't taking a charge, or the charger isn't giving one.
Both are unlikely but entirely possible.
I tend to blame everything on user error until proven otherwise though.

09-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Forum Member

By any chance did she plug it into a switched outlet, normally used for lamps and such? If so, she would have seen that the light was green, turned the wall switch off, awoke in the morning and turned the wall on again, and voila, the light is still green! Sounds stupid, but we have all done stuff like that.
10-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #9

Charged Batteries Don't Last

My wife has tried multiple sets of batteries and her K7 does not hold a charge. Even brand new batteries last only seconds. Could this be a problem with the camera's battery life indicator? Perhaps it "thinks" the batteries are low when they are not?
I'd love it if this was a simple user error but I can't seem to find the answer.
10-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Are you using third-party batteries?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #11

The last set were energizer (Alkaline) batteries.
10-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-7 doesn't use AA's - or are you using them through the grip?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-10-2011, 04:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Check the fridge. If everything is warm in there, you've had a blackout. (Insert silly smiley face...here.)

Regards