Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2011, 05:37 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Long snout -- function?

So I pulled out my old Olympus OM system gear tonight and got nostalgic.

I have been very pleased with "my" borrowed K10D but looking at my OM10 I realised the K10D really is fugly. (but no more so than any other DSLR I have seen.)

I'm wondering, what's with the "snout" in front of the pentaprism area, above the lens mount? Does this section actually serve a purpose or is it just for looks? It certainly protrudes a lot further than my OM-10 (which doesn't protrude at all).

I know it has the flash in it (not that I've ever used it) but does it really need to be so prominent?

I mucked around holding some OM lenses in place on the K10D. They look quite ridiculous really being overshadowed under this big proboscis, not to mention the grotesque grip to the side. No doubt old Pentax primes suffer the same humiliation.

While I'm at it --- the bottom 1/3 of all pics taken with my OM Zuiko 50/3.5 Macro were blacked out. Any idea why this might be the case? I twisted and pushed until the mounts were flush and held firmly in place. M mode, 1/45, Aperture ring set to allowed. Odd ??

09-12-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My guess is the snout is that long because it has to be to give the flash a little distance from the lens. I wouldn't characterize the K10D as "fugly" by a long shot. Unless you have some sort of fluorescent green monstrosity or something.

"While I'm at it --- the bottom 1/3 of all pics taken with my OM Zuiko 50/3.5 Macro were blacked out. Any idea why this might be the case? I twisted and pushed until the mounts were flush and held firmly in place. M mode, 1/45, Aperture ring set to allowed. Odd ??"

Seriously? Wow.

Bobbo.
09-12-2011, 06:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by russell2pi Quote
While I'm at it --- the bottom 1/3 of all pics taken with my OM Zuiko 50/3.5 Macro were blacked out. Any idea why this might be the case? I twisted and pushed until the mounts were flush and held firmly in place. M mode, 1/45, Aperture ring set to allowed. Odd ??
Only two things come to mind here. Either you were using a flash so close to the subject that it was being clipped by the top of the lens, causing a shadow, or a failing second shutter curtain. Does it happen with all lenses, or just the 50?
09-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I pulled out my old Olympus OM system gear tonight and got nostalgic.

I have been very pleased with "my" borrowed K10D but looking at my OM10 I realised the K10D really is fugly. (but no more so than any other DSLR I have seen.)

I'm wondering, what's with the "snout" in front of the pentaprism area, above the lens mount? Does this section actually serve a purpose or is it just for looks? It certainly protrudes a lot further than my OM-10 (which doesn't protrude at all).

I know it has the flash in it (not that I've ever used it) but does it really need to be so prominent?
It provides downforce at high frame rates.

"Pro" DSLRs from Canon and Nikon that don't have a popup flash still have a snout, so I think it's partly looks. It's a great place to put the brand name.

The K10D snout is longer than a K-7/K-5, but the whole camera is bigger. Although there's a flash up there, the pentaprism for APS-C cameras is 2/3 the size of the OM10s. But no 35mm or DSLR cameras have a lot of unused space inside.

09-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You want ugly? Check out an Argus-C3 or a Kodak 35 RF -- now THOSE are ugly, with big honking gears up front! My K20D (visual twin to the K10D) may not be as sleek as an OM-1 or Pen-FT or even a Spotty, but the onboard flash has to go *somewhere*, eh?

And I use modded OM lenses with no flash issues. Of course, the 50/1.8 is very short, the 35/2.8 isn't much longer, and the 135/3.5 doesn't focus real close. I'm not familiar with the OM 50/3.5 macro but if it's anything like my MacTak 50/4, it's fairly long. That's probably your flash problem -- the lens is long enough to cast a flash shadow on close subjects.
09-13-2011, 12:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Only two things come to mind here. Either you were using a flash so close to the subject that it was being clipped by the top of the lens, causing a shadow, or a failing second shutter curtain. Does it happen with all lenses, or just the 50?
Tested this morning with 28/3.5, it did it too. But 135/3.5 did not.

Not using a flash. Did have a nearly flat battery originally but this morning it was fully charged.

Odd ! Ah well, more of a curiosity really. I'm not yet brave enough to take to the lenses with a Dremel in order to make them fit properly (as per RioRico's instructions) so no real point chasing down the issue.
09-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tested this morning with 28/3.5, it did it too. But 135/3.5 did not.

Not using a flash. Did have a nearly flat battery originally but this morning it was fully charged.

Odd ! Ah well, more of a curiosity really. I'm not yet brave enough to take to the lenses with a Dremel in order to make them fit properly (as per RioRico's instructions) so no real point chasing down the issue.
If I understood correctly, you were just holding the Zuikos in front of the K10? If that's so, a severe vignetting is not really a surprise, as it is really difficult to center a lens correctly and keep it that way, when actually taking an image. It is more of a surprise that you achieved sharp images.
09-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
If I understood correctly, you were just holding the Zuikos in front of the K10? If that's so, a severe vignetting is not really a surprise, as it is really difficult to center a lens correctly and keep it that way, when actually taking an image. It is more of a surprise that you achieved sharp images.
Just holding OM lenses on a PK camera is no problem. The mounts are the same size and the only physical incompatibility is that the OM bayonet flags are slightly too thick to fit under the PK mount lugs. For a cheezy but workable fit, just hold the OM lens in place and use some gaffer's tape to secure it to the camera body. The lens will be tight and centered. For a better fit, just whip out the old Dremel and taper the leading edges of the OM bayonet flags so they DO fit under the PK lugs.

09-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
No, the lens mount was perfectly flush with the camera-side mount and appeared well centered also.