Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-13-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K10d dissasembly/repair

Hi to all.

Here is my issue. I have a K10D for more than 4 years now. It has 31000 shots....and out of the sudden this weekend it decided to act weird. I took a shoot and half of it was black. I knew something went bad, and I checked how it toked pictures and I have seen that one side of the shutter curtain was not retreating back all the way. I decided to take it apart and see what went wrong:

I managed to get take the shutter assembly apart and guess what?.... in the guidance shaft of that curtain I found a little screw!!!!! I couldn't believe it either. It was responsible for the blocking the shutter curtain.I still can't find where it came from or something.

Now the thing is I have to put it back together. My only issue is to get the shutter assembly to function the way it is intended. So... any information related to how it should work, or how to get it back on the same position is greatly appreciated

It's a bit confusing because there are 2 sides for this Copal shutter. The way I understand it should work is when the lever is pressed...both curtains should open. But I get something like this: when I press the lever one curtain opens one closes.
I'm sure there's a catch to how this is assembled, but I don't know it yet. Any info from someone who managed to put back together his camera, or if you have ideas please help .

Thanks

09-13-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mines been opened all the way down to the Flash Board and Back again -

Heres the 'special sauce' you will want

K10D Service Manual:
Downloads
09-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andyar85 Quote
The way I understand it should work is when the lever is pressed...both curtains should open. But I get something like this: when I press the lever one curtain opens one closes.
What you describe sounds normal. For the slow speeds (1/125s and slower), the leading curtain should drop to open the full frame. The following curtain will "follow" (duh) to close the frame. At faster speeds, the following curtain drops before the leading curtain has finished its travel resulting in a moving slot of light.

Steve
09-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
so you are a guy who can understand my situation. I already have the service manual. maybe I missed out something. My issue is this: there is a gear mechanism drived by the shutter motor. Both the mirror and a tiny lever are drived by this mechanism. to my understanding that lever should open/close the shutter.

I don't know how to make it act the right way. Maybe you can describe the steps in getting this operation done. I'm sure others can benefit from it. I don't understand why the curtains are actioned in sync(one closes, the other gets opened) in that way there is no way the CCD gets the light. Is there a way to check if all the mechanism works beside putting everything back?

I'm going home an study this manual
Keep in touch
Thanks for now

09-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
my first attempt, early this morning, I managed to fit the shutter assembly, but couldn't quite gamble it was a successful positioning. I was true That's why I reopened the camera and started to read in depth... to ask questions
Tomorrow I'll continue my work, but for now I'll update the things I tried. There is the motor that drives the gears(the mirror). In the service manual it states it needs 2V to action the mechanism. So I tried this thing and actually it's true ...maybe this it the way to check everything out after it's mounted.

I am thinking to do it this way:
- drive the motor/gears/lever/mirror to raised position. This way the lever gets to be in the most upper position
- fit back the shutter assembly. this should fit fine because the lever is all the way back
- connect the motor to a battery to check if it's functional.

Hope it works. I'll come back with results. I should also take pictures. I'm so thankful to people posting this kind on the internet....a lot of them helped me now . Maybe I can explain my concerns directly on them.

I'm tying at first to understand how things work....but the only logic to how the shutter works is that beside the lowering/raising action of the curtains, there are tiny elector-magnets that control if the curtain should remain open or closed. Correct me if I'm wrong.
09-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What you describe sounds normal. For the slow speeds (1/125s and slower), the leading curtain should drop to open the full frame. The following curtain will "follow" (duh) to close the frame. At faster speeds, the following curtain drops before the leading curtain has finished its travel resulting in a moving slot of light.

Steve
What you are saying is perfectly correct, but from the point of view of a fully functional camera. I was trying to get an answer of how the shutter mechanism works, at his basic level, mechanical only. There are 2 curtains, one in the front, one on the back. Each is drived by a sprigged leverage to open/close it. Also both leverages are drived in sync by another part(this is "actioned" by the motor). But at the mechanical level, when the sync lever is pressed, one curtain raises, the other drops, in sync, but in such manner that no visible light passes through. I thing here is the part where the electro-magnets join in and keep the curtains opened for x ms.
09-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I assume that this is not the first time people have told you that you have a screw loose?

there is a post somewhere with a set of exploded views for the K20, which is essentyally the same camera.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/469732-post1.html

I looked at this to assess what ro do about my K10D failure , specifically lens locking pin and AF drive are permenantly recessed (i.e. not connectd any more to the lens release button)

Out of curiosity, can you look and tell me how safe all the parts are under the lens mount if the lens locking button becomes disengaged from the mechanism.

09-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Anyway, keep us posted. Would be great to document your endeavor with pictures.
I'm very curious about the result.

Maybe the loose screw has to do with the wrong operation?

Octav
09-14-2011, 02:53 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Complete success !!!!

OK.. let me start by saying I did it!!!

I was right about the shutter assembly and how it's working. the "secret" of reassembling it is:
- first supply ~2V to the mirror motor to get it to the most upper position
-mount the assembly back
-supply again the ~2V and get the mirror back to lower position.

The issue is that when you lift the assembly up the shutter "discharges" to the wrong position. I'll explain. pictures of K10D disassembled can be found here: ¡¾Í¼¡¿ ²ð½âάÐÞ±öµÂK10D - ÎÞ¼ÉÂÛ̳
Here are two photos:

In the first one the position of the shutter curtain is the way it should look. the other one is with the assembly removed from it's socket.

Also a few pictures I took with the Copal Shutter assembly of the K10D:
09-14-2011, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster

I should become a Service engineer now that I know how to repair it
09-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here is a link to the K10D service manual.

http://www.pentax-hack.info/firmware/k10_gx10/k10d_sm.zip

Cheers, Bert
09-14-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Here is a link to the K10D service manual.

http://www.pentax-hack.info/firmware/k10_gx10/k10d_sm.zip

Cheers, Bert
Thanks, the link is already here. Maybe someone else needs it. I solved my problem