Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K10D remote control drive mode timeout?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Finally got around to my bird feeder remote trap test today. Basically that means setting the camera on a tripod relatively close to the feeder and then going back inside and triggering it via the remote. I noticed the birds dont care too much about the camera on a tripod as long as no humans are around.

so I set the drive mode to remote control and the red light starts blinking on the IR sensors to let me know its ready. But then it keeps timing out, the red light stops blinking and when it stops, pushing the remote control button does nothing.

And of course I found a nice correlation between the time it took for that to happen and the time it took for the birds to build up courage after they had seen me fiddling with the camera to wake it up.

Now my question, is there any way to delay that timeout. I tried increasing the meter time, but obiously that was not connected, then I set the camera auto power off to 30 minutes, but that didnt help either.

When I walked out to revive the camera, the camera was still on and ready, so I pressed the Fn button and found that the drive mode was now set to single shot, I changed it to remote control again and the light came back on, but after some minutes the same thing happened. That seems strange to me, why cant the drive mode stay as remote control for as long as the camera is active?!

12-04-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah I tried mine and it's less than 10 minutes. Seems like a battery saving issue but we should have the choice. The other option is to get an extension cable and use a wired remote. I've seen 12 meter ones that should do the job just fine.
12-04-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
and
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cables often get in the way, in this case a cable would have been unpractical because the window I was standing behind doesnt open so the cable would have to take a long detour just to get outside and of coruse the biting cold would start creeping inside if I kept a window or door open.

Well if I do go ahead and get PWs then they can do the trick.

but yea, there are options for meter timeout and camera auto power off, so why no custom setting for remote control timeout... annoying... The current timeout is way too short for the kind of thing I was using it for, if the camera had not timed out it would have worked pretty well.
12-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Andreas, just for you I turned on my K10D and tested it. Yup, you're quite right, it eventually turns remote mode into single-frame mode. I haven't timed it, but it seems to be well over 5 mins.

I think you need to find less shy birds

Or a longer lens.

PS: Interestingly, I turned the camera off while in single-frame mode, and when I turned it on again it had returned to remote mode. Weird...

12-04-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Shucks that is no good Andreas. I didn't realize things would work this way. I haven't had a chance to set up the camera around my feeders yet. But I thought having the wireless remote and activating the remote in camera would set things up as you describe WITHOUT the time-out. That is just the pits!
12-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Yeah I tried mine and it's less than 10 minutes. Seems like a battery saving issue but we should have the choice. The other option is to get an extension cable and use a wired remote. I've seen 12 meter ones that should do the job just fine.
Manual for K10d p. 83
"The camera automatically returns to single frame shooting after the remote control shooting mode is left unused for 5 minutes"

I guess that every 4 minutes and 59 seconds, you should waste an exposure. That would reset it to give you another 5 minutes.
12-04-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
and
Veteran Member

Original Poster
5 minutes huh, thanks for getting the record straight on that one.

I was wasting the occasional frame, problem was I had also setup a flash, and since the sun was rapidly going down, nothing like a big ol burst of light to scare those little ones away.

I could use my 300mm but I would have to sit out there in the cold for that It was a background problem, I was using a 125mm and there was eanough space from the house wall to the feeder for that to be poining away from the house, gettting some nice green background, with a 300mm it would have to be in the garden, pointing back at the house with a big living room window as the background for the birds.

Well, wishlist memo to Pentax: more custom settings. And why do they keep giving us alternatives, why not a free value, nothing difficult in the software implementation of that. If they have a timer then they have a timer, it doesnt work only for 2-5-10-30 etc minutes, it can also work for any arbitrary number of minutes.

12-06-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to admit this this "limitation" is really irratating! I just purchased a Remote Control F to use with my DS - taking pics of birds at my feeders. And, I've noted the same issue as mentioned above - it takes at least 5 minutes for the birds to return after I've been fiddling with the camera.

After reading about this time-out on a K10D I got out my trusty owners manual and, yep, in the fine print it states that it will return to single frame mode after 5 minutes.

HELLO PENTAX - HOW ABOUT A FIRMWARE FIX FOR THIS "PROBLEM"??!!
12-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #9
and
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its annyoing indeed, it should be very easy to add a custom option to set this timeout similarly to how you can set the meter timeout and the camera auto power down.

For now the alternatives involve remotes that connect to the camera remote port. such as the pentax and third party cable remotes, or a juicy pocket wizard that will also let you trigger from far far away.
12-06-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've been eyeing up something like this and it seems it should do what you need it to. Wireless Shutter Release f Canon EOS 400D 350D RS-60E3 - (eBay item 230198734123 end time Dec-08-07 22:15:10 PST)
12-06-2007, 02:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Try going into the menu and setting the power save completely off and see if that helps. I'll give it a try later when I've got more time to sit down and play with the camera.
12-06-2007, 11:14 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would that wireless shutter release work on the K10D. It appears to say it would. Not a bad deal for $13.00. Will buy one if it works with the K10D.
12-07-2007, 12:28 AM   #13
oRs

QuoteQuote:
Try going into the menu and setting the power save completely off and see if that helps. I'll give it a try later when I've got more time to sit down and play with the camera.
I tried to take power save off. No joy. This *is* annoying.
12-07-2007, 01:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
Would that wireless shutter release work on the K10D. It appears to say it would. Not a bad deal for $13.00. Will buy one if it works with the K10D.
Oh yes this one (same?) works perfectly on the K10D.

Mine arrived earlier this week and the unit does exactly as advertised: long range remote, not line-of-site, works through (thin) walls, holds the shutter for as long as you like in Bulb setting, etc. Will do exactly what the OP wants. For thirteen bucks. Dunno how they do it.
12-07-2007, 04:00 AM   #15
and
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
I did. This doesnt change anything. Remember it actually says in the manual that the remote will stop working after 5 minutes.