Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hang it all

My thread about my dropped K10 made me think of another problem I have. Camera straps. I use straps for convenience, yet I've had more near-misses with the damned things catching on door handles, chair backs and so on than I care to mention. Wrist straps? I like them but they usually use the tripod bush and so have to be removed to put the camera on the tripod. Any useful ideas - and anecdotes, of course - would be most welcome.

09-16-2011, 03:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I use an Upstrap. Nice wide rubber pad, with stainless steel sliders on minimalist straps. Easy to stow in the bag, and the weight of the camera and heavy lens is more evenly distributed than the narrow original Pentax strap.
Regards
09-16-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I use wide straps on heavy camera+lens combos, thin straps on lightweight gear. I am VERY PARANOID of what straps could tangle on, and I am VERY CAREFUL in placing straps when I lay gear down. It's just another form of mindfulness, attention to detail. Watch your gear carefully to avoid nasty surprises.
09-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
Inactive Account

On a past film camera I used the sholder strap as a wrist strap.
Many people do the same with their DSLRs.
Without detailed instructions, you wrap the sholder strap around your
wrist until you are holding the camera. This effectively turns it into a sort of
wrist strap with no dangling catch-all strap.

09-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
Forum Member

I've had good success duct taping the camera and lens combo to my head. It can be quite a workout on the neck, but you get used to looking at things sideways after a while.

In all seriousness, I share your pain. I had a strap end give way once, letting my precious camera and lens hit blacktop from about waist level. Thankfully, Pentax gear is built like a tank and sustained no dammage. I'd recommend electrical or duct tape on strap ends to keep them from coming loose.
09-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two thoughts:

- I make the neck straps very short. Not as convenient, but much less worry about snags and the pendulum effect and it's easier to use the strap as a hand-strap as noted above.

- At one time I'd made a thin steel plate (about 1/16"/1.5 mm) that was inserted between the camera body and a tripod QR base as the lower attachment point for a hand strap. That worked well for me, but I no longer have it. Been meaning to build another one for a long time. (You need to have non-slip surfaces and tabs on the plate to keep it stable and oriented on the body or it feels dangerously loose.)

H2
09-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
REM
Forum Member

I use a Camdapter wrist/hand strap. It attaches to the eyelet of the camera and a loop on my L bracket (not from Camdapter). Many QR camera plates and brackets come with a loop for this reason. That way you can still use it on a tripod and have a hand strap.

09-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote
you wrap the sholder strap around your
wrist until you are holding the camera.
I'm kinda similar here, except I wrap my LX (the choice for still using LX straps is that they are strong, long, thin and black without large logos or writing on them) shoulder straps around my right hand and hold camera by the grip with right fingers.

I'm a manual focus man, left hand is for additional lens support and focusing . I find this a comfortable and secure for long periods of use and it's also quick when switching bodies.

It means I can carry the camera low (at end of arm) which can be surprisingly "stealthy" when required even with biggish fast glass.
09-20-2011, 11:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I'm kinda similar here, except I wrap my LX (the choice for still using LX straps is that they are strong, long, thin and black without large logos or writing on them) shoulder straps around my right hand and hold camera by the grip with right fingers.
I do pretty much the same. I've taken a strap of one of my MX's and put it on my K5.

I found the one that came with the camera too wide and cumbersome. If I want it ready to use I usually carry the camera in my right hand with the strap wound, 3 times, around my wrist.

Of course it doesn't have big red letters and I know that wouldn't suit a number of people.

Last edited by JimD; 09-21-2011 at 12:01 AM.
09-21-2011, 06:01 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have dropped 1 camera due to the strap catching on a drawer pull, fortunately all that broke was a plastic $3 lens hood, that and my foot cushioned the fall.

WHen out and about, I wrap the neck strap around my wrist 3 times, and it effectively becomes a wrist strap. otherwise I am careful.

I hadd, for my PZ-1 a nice wide neoprene rubber strap, with quick release for the camera. the strap was a little longer than the pentax straps (old or new) and easier on the neck.

I am looking for similar quick release setup for putting a similar arrangement on my other cameras, but for now, they remain as origonal
09-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
Have you tried the 'Death Grip' and gone strapless? With the excellent grips on these Pentax cameras, it feels super secure without the hassle of a dangling strap. Of course you have to be happy using a camera bag to stow the camera in when your not shooting for extended periods. I prefer the safety of the extra cushioning in the bag as well over the exposed camera around the neck. Just a suggestion, not wanting to turn the thread into a 'which way is best' thread.
09-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #12

Original Poster
Me,too

Koenig's suggestion is one I've used fairly regularly. I have an old CCS bag which is big enough to accomodate hand and camera so it's very easy to get it in and out.
09-22-2011, 12:11 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Koenig Quote
Have you tried the 'Death Grip' and gone strapless?
I'd love too, but working with at least two manual focus bodies at any one time, I don't have enough hands.
09-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

80% of the time I don't have a strap on either my K-5 or K-7. The comfort and confidence I have in the grip means that I don't need a strap. When I'm out on a walkabout shoot, traveling, or carrying two bodies I use a Black Rapid R- strap (or double strap).
09-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

There's a thread over on General Photography, a story by a fellow who was Cartier-Bresson's gofer in India. HCB used no strap at all, just the death grip. Neither did he carry a bag. He just made sure the gofer with the film and spare body and lens was nearby. Of course, "death grip" on a little RF is a different matter than with my K20D with the Lil'Bigma mounted, eh?