Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K200D and 18-55 WR Arrived

Had a sudden need for a weather sealed DSLR again- but didn't want to fork out the extra cash for the K5 so I opted for the surprisingly decent K200D instead. A bit ago I sold my K7 and my Kx to fund other things and have been missing Pentax DSLR's ever since. Got the K200D from Adorama w/original box and paperwork plus a separate 18-55mm WR Kit lens (which I adore). Ordered some Pro Eneloops to compliment my standard set of Eneloops just for this camera.

Sierra Nevada trip in late October- needed something that could handle the elements/cold better than my current gear. The new set of Pro Eneloops apparently do handle that task well- so I'm pretty much set. Managed to keep my Pentax O-ME53 magnifier so that went right on the K200.

Surprisingly well spec'd camera, and I'm a big fan of CCD imagers (the look of the images mainly) so I'm pleased about the package I got for about $400.00 considering all I can do with it outdoors.

So far I find many of the negative reports on the AF speed and higher ISO capability to be exaggerated. I particularly like how eager the AF system is to find focus even if it takes a bit to do it- seems to never give up.

Build is fantastic for the price- feel almost guilty.

Like the more simple straight forward set up of the K200D personally, and its fun to develop files in camera .

So far, so good.

Carl

09-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Good to hear Carl! The K200D is an excellent camera, I kept mine as a back-up/second body since I got the K-5.
09-16-2011, 03:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations! I fully endorse your views on build quality and features (including the CCD) of this gem. If you have not found it already, I suggest that you take a glance at what appears to have become THE K200D page in this forum.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/129204-anyone-else-miss-k200d.html

HINT: If you are in for some really long-time use/long exposures in cold weather, I can recommend non-rechargeable lithium energizers as a supplement to your eneloops.
09-16-2011, 05:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
Stone

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Congratulations! I fully endorse your views on build quality and features (including the CCD) of this gem. If you have not found it already, I suggest that you take a glance at what appears to have become THE K200D page in this forum.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/129204-anyone-else-miss-k200d.html

HINT: If you are in for some really long-time use/long exposures in cold weather, I can recommend non-rechargeable lithium energizers as a supplement to your eneloops.
Haven't seen that thread yet, do appreciate you mentioning it (have it bookmarked now). Bravo!

I have a set of lithium energizers I keep in my photo/hiking bag at all times as well. The pro eneloops just seem too intriguing to me to pass up, especially with such good claimed cold weather performance.

I'll be taking the K200D on the trail first thing in the AM tomorrow- nice to be shooting with a Pentax again (disclaimer, I shoot with many brands and like them all for their strengths and endearing weaknesses).

-Carl

09-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got a K200D after splashing my Kx on an ocean trip (that sucked). And it's fantastic. It doesn't quite compete with the Kx overall but it's a great camera imo. However it will be a difficult to decision whether I want to upgrade to the K-5 or not (next summerish). And then whether I want to part with the K200D. Fantastic value.

Agreed about the long exposure battery life. That is the only time that I've depleted batteries but I also charge frequently (usually after 100-200 pics so I don't have to change batteries while hiking) and I carry a spare set of charged eneloops.
09-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #6

Original Poster
so far it reminds me a lot of the K7 in size, and the K20D too in some respects

might be the build quality and looks of it or something
09-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #7

Original Poster
From my first outing with the K200D, this morning.

09-18-2011, 03:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Hmmm.... I just came across a K200D offered at ~$215. Sounds like a good price - if I needed another camera

09-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #9

Original Poster
Yes that is a very good price. If you don't need a camera for all weather then, yeah... hard to justify. Unless of course you want the CCD vs. CMOS factor the K200D has.

C