Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2007, 07:37 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
pish, you cant complain about loud mirror slap/shutter noise until you use a canon 20D. Try being discrete in a quiet place with one of those, it aint gonna happen
Or a 6x7 in a quiet church.

Dave

12-06-2007, 08:14 AM   #32
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
Or a 6x7 in a quiet church.

Dave
OMG, I owned a 6x7 for several years and would never use it in a church! It's like slamming the front doors shut. That was one loud camera but then again look at the size of it. I loved pulling it out to look at the faces of people that had never seen one. SLR on steroids!!
12-06-2007, 08:33 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
OMG, I owned a 6x7 for several years and would never use it in a church! It's like slamming the front doors shut. That was one loud camera but then again look at the size of it. I loved pulling it out to look at the faces of people that had never seen one. SLR on steroids!!
I only did it for one shot. Every one turned to look at me.

Went back to the Super Program

Dave
12-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I would recommend anyone using these kits to be careful.
If your ear starts to itch or get worst stop using it immediately, and you should probably see your doctor.

I had wax build up in my ears, and my doc told me to use a de-wax kit on them.
And I discovered that I was allergic to it in the middle of a big project I couldn't leave (I was 1/2 deft for a while because of it)
My hearing did return to normal on it's own, but it was an experience I don't want anyone to go through.

Next time it sounds like I'll have to use olive oil to loosen the wax off and if necessary my doctor will flush my ears out with water.
Check out the dewax kit at the pharmacy - many of them use olive oil, but it's cheaper to use the stuff in the kitchen.

Use the dropper to put some oil in the ear, leave it there for 5 or 10 minutes. I do this in the tub (I kind of emulate Winston Churchill in the tub love regard), leaning on one side so the oil stays in. Then use warm water to flush out whatever has come loose with the bulb (just like your lens bulb, but I would not recommend using it on your lens afterwards), change sides and do it again.

If you don't like tub use, you can use cotton batting to keep the oil in for a while. All the gunk in the kit does is loosen up the wax. Then you gently! rinse it out with the squeeze bulb and warm water.

01-26-2008, 05:10 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnV3 Quote
Does anyone have any "beep" experience or can make suggestions as to the problem?
I just got my K10D. Happy a clam generally, but no beep either. I came looking specifically for this thread... knew it's would probably be here... heh.

After reading this thread I tried some things. When I have the camera in front of my eye, I cannot hear a beep.

If I put it about 6" from my face and turn my face left... nothing. If I turn face right, I detect the faintest of beeps. It's there alright. Funny that my left ear is actually the more damaged ear. At loud concerts it breaks up like a blown speaker.

Even my "cheap" little Fuji lets you set the volume of the beep. Ah well... I probably would not use it much. On the other hand, I'd like that to be ** my ** choice.

woof
01-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I just decided to check mine after reading these posts because I have never heard a beep either. Everything was turned on in the menu. If I hold the camera right next to my right ear I can hear it slightly chirp. Left ear.......nothing. I don't know about earwax but I suspect it has to do with using large impact wrenches for the last 30 years. Maybe a "new feature" for new models should be a bluetooth air horn option so us old farts with bad hearing and trifocals can know when our cameras are in focus.
01-27-2008, 05:36 AM   #37
Pentaxian

After all the initial discussion in this thread, I decided to ask my wife if my camera ever beeped because I'd never heard it. She was sitting across the room saying, "Yep...yep...did it again..." as I was focusing on different things around the room. I never heard a darned thing!
01-27-2008, 10:06 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
...(snip)... Maybe a "new feature" for new models should be a bluetooth air horn option so us old farts with bad hearing and trifocals can know when our cameras are in focus.

Oh, I can see the potential results from that now. With an air horn for auto-focus confirmation, followed by the pre-flash with P-TTL flash units, we could create a whole new look to people shots - subjects with a look of terror running towards the door.

On a more positive note, with eyes like silver dollars following the air horn, subjects certainly will not be blinking at the pre-flash any more.

stewart

02-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Oh, I can see the potential results from that now. With an air horn for auto-focus confirmation, followed by the pre-flash with P-TTL flash units, we could create a whole new look to people shots - subjects with a look of terror running towards the door.
I thought I'd re-open this thread with the following information...

When we left it, all had basically agreed that we geezers were simply hard of hearing. I can just barely hear my K10D "beep" if I turn my head just right.

Anyway, I went to look at a lens at a local merchant and we put it on a K10D they had there.

Guess what? I can hear that beep JUST FINE. Very nice. Not too loud as to be obtrusive yet loud enough to hear distinctly.

My beep is MUCH lower in volume than the one at the merchant. MUCH. Barely audible is the word.

woof
02-24-2008, 09:01 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Actually, you've made an interesting discovery, woof. Motivated by what you said, I just checked my two K10D cameras side-by-side and one does indeed have a softer beep than the other. So it does appear Pentax is producing cameras with different volume levels (vindication for all those commenting here about a soft beep). Further, I could certainly see how someone with weaker hearing (older geezers like myself) could easily miss that softer beep. I can still hear both in a very quiet room, but that softer beep would be entirely useless in an area with any ambient noise present.

stewart
06-27-2008, 08:39 AM   #41

I just bought a K10D and have the same proplem as the original post--no beep. In the menu I have several beep boxes checked, but I get a "Beep is not activated" message. How/where does the beep get activated?
By the way, great site. Your discussion of manual focus helped me tremendously. The green hex with AF.s really works great!
06-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
john, I'd have to say that it's you and not the cameras. I could hear it as clear as the shutter. Was funny though watching that. With the heavy breathing I was wondering what was coming next....

As for the sound of a shutter, try shooting weddings. I've more than once fliched when firing the shutter after lining up the perfect shot and the church is quiet. Look at me, look at me, I'm the guy they paid to disturb the ceremony!!
Your comment about the breathing made me laugh out loud Peter. My son said, "whats so funny"...I said..."uh, never mind".

The k10d shutter noise doesn't bother me on a whole, I guess I've gotten used to it. But in a quiet theater at my son's performances I've flinched a few times too. Now I get to experience it in a church on Saturday. I hadn't thought of that until you mentioned it.
06-27-2008, 09:18 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Lord thundering...I hadn't heard that remedy in over 40 years.
But it's still the BEST remedy!
06-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #44

Original Poster
My new K20 doesn't beep either as neither did my K10 or Ds. Any one who can hear a beep must have super human hearing.
06-27-2008, 04:29 PM   #45
Inactive Account

Hey reeftool

QuoteQuote:
Maybe a "new feature" for new models should be a bluetooth air horn option so us old farts with bad hearing and trifocals can know when our cameras are in focus.
Your amusing contribution caused me to laugh so loudly that I inadvertently woke up the wife, who was lying fast asleep beside me.....she kept asking, "What is it ?.....what's so funny ?"

Maybe you ought to patent a miniature version that fits neatly into the camera's hot-shoe and then flog the design to Pentoya, thus earning yourself huge royalties for it in the process ! In fact, I can just imagine the following scenario:

"Hey guys, I was down at the local Photographic Society's open evening the other night when this bl**dy fellow standing beside me unexpectedly let rip with his two-tone Pentax air-horn. Everyone in the vicinity nearly jumped two feet into the air, I can tell you .....but at least all his pictures were in focus....lol" !!!

Best regards
Richard

P.S. Incidentally, here's a word of advice about curing ear-wax: Always use Extra Virgin olive oil..it tastes better, or so I HEAR !!!

Last edited by Confused; 06-27-2008 at 06:32 PM.