Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2007, 08:01 PM   #16

Original Poster
Peter: There's more truth to that than you know.

12-04-2007, 08:07 PM   #17
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
John, I know this is totally off topic but I was just approached to carry a line of products (I'm a sales rep) that has gloves, costume jewelry, purses and shoes in the line. So I told the guy that he can just hold my commissions and allow my wife to choose the stuff she wants from the line. I'll never see a cent from that contract!! But it might keep me out of the mall on Saturdays when I'd rather be shooting anyway.
12-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #18

Original Poster
Peter: If she is a power shopper, you might end up owing money.

Back on topic, both cameras couldn't be busted direct from the factory ( I wouldn't think). Maybe the noise of the auto focus is masking the beep or chirp. However, no sound when manually focusing either or maybe it only beeps on auto focus.
12-04-2007, 09:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

k10 beep

it's very faint, but you can hear it...

12-05-2007, 10:20 AM   #20

Original Poster
Jon: Thank you very much for that video. I played it over and over, again and again, with the external speaker volume very high but I did not hear a beep or a chirp. I did hear the deafening sound of the shutter and auto focus. I can only assume that my high frequency hearing has had better days.

As for shutter noise, one can't realize how loud the sound of a shutter is until you are on a quiet beach of sunbathers on a south Pacific island, 20 years ago, with a Pentax ME.

John
12-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #21
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

john, I'd have to say that it's you and not the cameras. I could hear it as clear as the shutter. Was funny though watching that. With the heavy breathing I was wondering what was coming next....

As for the sound of a shutter, try shooting weddings. I've more than once fliched when firing the shutter after lining up the perfect shot and the church is quiet. Look at me, look at me, I'm the guy they paid to disturb the ceremony!!
12-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
GUYS! EVERYONE! .... (sorry I'm yelling)

Anyway, this high frequency hearing loss is very common - almost guarranteed. So much so in US schools kids have changed their cell phone rings to this high pitch so teachers can't hear it.. TRUE!

Anyway, many devices have sound options - even a cheap-ass Canon P&S allows you to change the confirmation sounds.. This is a MUST INCLUDE OPTION in the next firmware upgrade from Pentax that should effect ALL cameras - As well as be included in ALL new models.

All aboard - write Pentax of the issue. It's a world-wide problem, not just the US and if Pentax is going to LEAVE OUT the older folks, ya know, the folks who have used Pentax for ages - well, That doesn't fit Pentax very well.

12-05-2007, 11:18 PM   #23
PDL
Pentaxian

I hate the beep. On my SF-1 all I could hear was the beep as my better half constantly hit the shutter button. Even the cousins (right wing - very conservative - born again etc) were saying - 'why don't you take the freaking picture?.... take the picture - TAKE THE PICTURE'.

I hate to beep - after AF was de-coupled from the shutter button - the beep was next.

I hate the beep.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
12-06-2007, 12:19 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Check for ear wax. This is not a joke! I was slowly going deaf until SWMBO told me to use a dewax kit (a few dollars at the pharmacy) and clean my ears out. Now I do it regularly. Helps a lot.
I would recommend anyone using these kits to be careful.
If your ear starts to itch or get worst stop using it immediately, and you should probably see your doctor.

I had wax build up in my ears, and my doc told me to use a de-wax kit on them.
And I discovered that I was allergic to it in the middle of a big project I couldn't leave (I was 1/2 deft for a while because of it)
My hearing did return to normal on it's own, but it was an experience I don't want anyone to go through.

Next time it sounds like I'll have to use olive oil to loosen the wax off and if necessary my doctor will flush my ears out with water.
12-06-2007, 12:29 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnV3 Quote
As for shutter noise, one can't realize how loud the sound of a shutter is until you are on a quiet beach of sunbathers on a south Pacific island, 20 years ago, with a Pentax ME.
pish, you cant complain about loud mirror slap/shutter noise until you use a canon 20D. Try being discrete in a quiet place with one of those, it aint gonna happen
12-06-2007, 04:05 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Next time it sounds like I'll have to use olive oil
Lord thundering...I hadn't heard that remedy in over 40 years.
12-06-2007, 04:27 AM   #27
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Funny PDL. Same as the Seinfeld episode "Hate the Drake". I was reading your post and could hear Elaines voice.

Good to start the day with a chuckle.

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I hate the beep. On my SF-1 all I could hear was the beep as my better half constantly hit the shutter button. Even the cousins (right wing - very conservative - born again etc) were saying - 'why don't you take the freaking picture?.... take the picture - TAKE THE PICTURE'.

I hate to beep - after AF was de-coupled from the shutter button - the beep was next.

I hate the beep.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
12-06-2007, 07:18 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
pish, you cant complain about loud mirror slap/shutter noise until you use a canon 20D. Try being discrete in a quiet place with one of those, it aint gonna happen
my other camera is a Minolta.

i hear no shutter slap with this pentax.

12-06-2007, 07:34 AM   #29

As I sat here reading this thread I thought, "Mine doesn't beep." But, to make sure, I went over and checked. It beeps. It's a very quiet beep and I normally don't notice it.
12-06-2007, 07:35 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnV3 Quote
Based on the responses, it's beginning to look like the beep is at a very low volume in a high frequency that I just can't hear. My wife can't hear it either but her hearing is known to be not the best. I will look for some younger people with alleged good hearing to test further or maybe take to a camera shop tosee if anyone can hear it.

Thanks again everyone for your responses.

John
Just tried mine.

At arms lenght i could not hear a thing.

I slowly drew the camera toward my face and i could hear the beep at around 6" away.

I may not be a good test case, as i have bad ringing in my ears, but at 6" and closer, I can hear it. Its quiet to say the least.

I rely on the beep, quite a bit, as i have some floaty stuff in my right eye, that i have to keep "flicking" out of the way, if that makes sense, which impairs my ability to focus for a moment or two and some times i don't have time to do it, in action shots, and rely on the beep to make sure i'm focused.

Dave