Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2007, 02:38 PM   #1

Beep Never Worked

I have both a K10D and an istDs and the beep has never worked on either camera from day one. According to the set up menu, the beep is activated and all of the functions are checked for activation. I called Pentax and we went through the activation process again but still no beep. They could only suggest resetting all of the menus which I didn't do because I have doubts that it will solve the issue

Since both cameras do not beep in any mode for focus etc., I would not think it's a camera malfunction. Could there be some other setting that overriding the beep or am I doing something wrong?

Does anyone have any "beep" experience or can make suggestions as to the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

12-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the 'beep' comes along with the 'red square'..

The beep is somewhat useful, the red square is like the camera's alter-ego trying to get you to take photos that are out of focus.
12-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Camera electronics can be or get funky. Sometimes a general reset is the best solution. Use the menu to reset the camera defaults. Remove batteries for about 30 minutes. Replace and reset the defaults. The beep ON is usually the default, so...

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnV3 Quote
I have both a K10D and an istDs and the beep has never worked on either camera from day one. According to the set up menu, the beep is activated and all of the functions are checked for activation. I called Pentax and we went through the activation process again but still no beep. They could only suggest resetting all of the menus which I didn't do because I have doubts that it will solve the issue

Since both cameras do not beep in any mode for focus etc., I would not think it's a camera malfunction. Could there be some other setting that overriding the beep or am I doing something wrong?

Does anyone have any "beep" experience or can make suggestions as to the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

John
12-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I too have an *istDS on which the beep seemed to work intermittently, until I realized I had to activate the metering by slightly depressing the shutter in the usual manner. When the metering is not activated, it won't beep.

12-04-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you positive it's not beeping? You might want to have someone else give a listen just to make sure. I say this because it was a flash unit that made me aware that I had a high frequency hearing loss in my left ear. I was holding the flash in my left hand. I turned it on, but it didn't seem to be charging because it wasn't making that familiar whine. I checked the batteries and tried again. The power light would come on, but still no whine. I messed with it for several minutes before changing the flash over to my right hand. Suddenly, there was the whine! Uh oh.... I swapped hands several times. Left hand, no whine. Right hand, whine. It was obvious that the flash had been working correctly all along. I just couldn't hear it when it was on my left side. Obviously the years I'd spent working with local bands had taken their toll. I wish I could say my hearing loss was due to too much sex, drugs, and rock & roll, but unfortunately the truth is it was only drugs and rock & roll. I wasn't that lucky.
12-04-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Are you positive it's not beeping? You might want to have someone else give a listen just to make sure. I say this because it was a flash unit that made me aware that I had a high frequency hearing loss in my left ear. I was holding the flash in my left hand. I turned it on, but it didn't seem to be charging because it wasn't making that familiar whine. I checked the batteries and tried again. The power light would come on, but still no whine. I messed with it for several minutes before changing the flash over to my right hand. Suddenly, there was the whine! Uh oh.... I swapped hands several times. Left hand, no whine. Right hand, whine. It was obvious that the flash had been working correctly all along. I just couldn't hear it when it was on my left side. Obviously the years I'd spent working with local bands had taken their toll. I wish I could say my hearing loss was due to too much sex, drugs, and rock & roll, but unfortunately the truth is it was only drugs and rock & roll. I wasn't that lucky.
Check for ear wax. This is not a joke! I was slowly going deaf until SWMBO told me to use a dewax kit (a few dollars at the pharmacy) and clean my ears out. Now I do it regularly. Helps a lot.
12-04-2007, 05:11 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I tried the reset, listened closer for the beep but nobody else was around to check. I'm sure my hearing has deminished somewhat at my age but there is no sound except the auto focus and with manual focus , there's only silence. No sound on the self timer either. If it is beeping and I don't hear it, then the sound has to be almost inaudible.

BTW, I really don't need the beep and have never missed it. It might even be annoying. I just thought I would check with the knowledgeable people on this forum to try and figure it out.

Does anyone have a K10 or Ds that beeps? If so, how loud is it?

Thanks again.

John

12-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
I think the 'beep' comes along with the 'red square'..

The beep is somewhat useful, the red square is like the camera's alter-ego trying to get you to take photos that are out of focus.
You do know that the red square is not a focus indicator?
12-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #9

Original Poster
Matt: Yes. The focus indicator is the yellow octagon. Still no beep when it comes on in the viewfinder.

I would like to ask again. Does anyone have a K10 or Ds that beeps?

John
12-04-2007, 07:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnV3 Quote
Matt: Yes. The focus indicator is the yellow octagon. Still no beep when it comes on in the viewfinder.

I would like to ask again. Does anyone have a K10 or Ds that beeps?

John
mine beeps.....lemme take a video of it beeping..tho..im so used to it..sometimes i tend not to hear it..but when i think about it, and redo it again..it's there
12-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
You do know that the red square is not a focus indicator?
lol, of course I do.. I was being sarcastic due to the many posts stating, 'my pictures are out of focus but the red square is lit'..

FYI - I do not have a red square, it has been disabled.

To the OP, the beep on the K10D is loud enough to hear, that's for sure but, it's certainly a high frequency.
12-04-2007, 07:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Yes I would guess it's the frequency. Have you tried getting someone younger to listen to it and see if they can pick up the sound. Just odd both yours don't make any sound.

BTW I have both and tested them both (2 K10D's and a *istD) and all sound normal. I've never noticed either not beep. But i do turn it off about 50% of the time when I need things as quiet as possible. ( that's almost a joke with that loud mirror slap!!)
12-04-2007, 07:55 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just turned the beeper on my K10d, and it chirped when it attained focus.
12-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #14

Original Poster
Based on the responses, it's beginning to look like the beep is at a very low volume in a high frequency that I just can't hear. My wife can't hear it either but her hearing is known to be not the best. I will look for some younger people with alleged good hearing to test further or maybe take to a camera shop tosee if anyone can hear it.

Thanks again everyone for your responses.

John
12-04-2007, 07:58 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

John her hearing is just fine. If someone whispers there's a 50% off sale on shoes, purses etc, she can hear that from 10 Kms away. It's only you she can't hear. I couldn't resist...