Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member
wlachan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,626
Spot meter re-alignment HOW-TO

I have just done fixing my own DS spot meter and it is now dead centre as it should be. Anyone interested might check it out.



Spot Meter Re-alignment Photo Gallery by Alan Chan at pbase.com

12-04-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member
jfdavis58's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 13 S 0357397-3884316
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 876
Curiosity: how did you determine that you needed to make an adjustment; how did you know how much to move the sensor.

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I have just done fixing my own DS spot meter and it is now dead centre as it should be. Anyone interested might check it out.



Spot Meter Re-alignment Photo Gallery by Alan Chan at pbase.com
12-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member
wlachan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,626
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Curiosity: how did you determine that you needed to make an adjustment; how did you know how much to move the sensor.

I discovered my DS spot meter was off quite a bit when I was trying to get some precise reading in practice, but just couldn't so I tested it and found it was not centred. The last paragraph explains how to test for centering. As to how much to shift the actual sensor for adjustment, well, it was rather low tech. Just keep trying.
12-05-2007, 07:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,434
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I have just done fixing my own DS spot meter and it is now dead centre as it should be. Anyone interested might check it out.



Spot Meter Re-alignment Photo Gallery by Alan Chan at pbase.com
WOW braver than I would be. One thing that interests me, from some old decriptions of the "D" I thought the meter was placed on a back face of the pentaprism, maybe a semi-silvered area. From your diagrams it looks to be in front, same look as the viewfinder. How does it get the scene image projected onto it? Since it responds backwards I assume a small transfer mirror or some such?


Last edited by jeffkrol; 12-05-2007 at 07:38 AM.
12-05-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member
wlachan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,626
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
WOW braver than I would be. One thing that interests me, from some old decriptions of the "D" I thought the meter was placed on a back face of the pentaprism, maybe a semi-silvered area. From your diagrams it looks to be in front, same look as the viewfinder. How does it get the scene image projected onto it? Since it responds backwards I assume a small transfer mirror or some such?
There is a convex lens in front of the sensor to project the light onto the sensor. It is a rather straight forward design. The rectangular black block on the front of the prism is responsable for projecting the red colour AF indicator onto the focus screen.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, meter, photography, spot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Spot Meter III lats Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 4 11-15-2009 09:38 AM
how to choose a spot light meter rpriedhorsky Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 3 07-26-2009 08:51 AM
Who uses a 1 degree spot meter nowadays? germar Photographic Technique 19 12-23-2008 02:16 PM
Spot Meter CarlCanary Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 5 02-16-2008 08:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:26 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top