Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Spot meter re-alignment HOW-TO

I have just done fixing my own DS spot meter and it is now dead centre as it should be. Anyone interested might check it out.

Spot Meter Re-alignment Photo Gallery by Alan Chan at pbase.com

12-04-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Curiosity: how did you determine that you needed to make an adjustment; how did you know how much to move the sensor.

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I have just done fixing my own DS spot meter and it is now dead centre as it should be. Anyone interested might check it out.

12-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Curiosity: how did you determine that you needed to make an adjustment; how did you know how much to move the sensor.

I discovered my DS spot meter was off quite a bit when I was trying to get some precise reading in practice, but just couldn't so I tested it and found it was not centred. The last paragraph explains how to test for centering. As to how much to shift the actual sensor for adjustment, well, it was rather low tech. Just keep trying.
12-05-2007, 07:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote

WOW braver than I would be. One thing that interests me, from some old decriptions of the "D" I thought the meter was placed on a back face of the pentaprism, maybe a semi-silvered area. From your diagrams it looks to be in front, same look as the viewfinder. How does it get the scene image projected onto it? Since it responds backwards I assume a small transfer mirror or some such?

Last edited by jeffkrol; 12-05-2007 at 07:38 AM.
12-05-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
WOW braver than I would be. One thing that interests me, from some old decriptions of the "D" I thought the meter was placed on a back face of the pentaprism, maybe a semi-silvered area. From your diagrams it looks to be in front, same look as the viewfinder. How does it get the scene image projected onto it? Since it responds backwards I assume a small transfer mirror or some such?
There is a convex lens in front of the sensor to project the light onto the sensor. It is a rather straight forward design. The rectangular black block on the front of the prism is responsable for projecting the red colour AF indicator onto the focus screen.