Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Metz SCA adapters for the K10D

Which Metz strobes particularly the 45 and 60 series will work with the K10D? Which SCA modules will allow TTL with this camera?

12-19-2006, 12:53 AM   #2

Some info here jr-worldwi.de: Photography: Technic suggests that the 3702 and 3701 are probably the best.

I don't have either, but I've had good success with indoor test shots using a 45 CT-4 simply as an auto flash, with the K10D in manual mode. I use an old, very simple hotshoe-to-pc adapter, and the simple sync cord plugs into the pc socket on the adapter. Set the camera for 200 iso and the flash for the same, set shutter speed to 180 and the lens aperture to a reasonable setting for the distance. Set the aperture to the same value on the flash. This usually gets me to within one stop of a reasonable exposure, then I adjust against the histogram, by either changing the aperture on the camera (leaving the flash alone) or by altering the aperture setting on the flash (leaving the camera unchanged).

Plenty to experiment with!

Do the modern Pentax P-TTL flashes give reliable exposures? Are they worth the money or should I keep on with the old Metz in auto? I get the feeling with flash that a lot depends on how reflective the environment is.
01-05-2007, 07:55 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe that all Pentax cameras after the DS do NOT have TTL sensors (the DS2 might or might not -- I'm not sure). From what I've read, the K10D definitely does not have TTL capability.

That means that your K10D can only use P-TTL, which Metz does not yet support. Feel free to bug them about it, since I'd like to be able to use my 32 MZ-3 with P-TTL. It works fine in TTL mode on my *ist DS, but won't do P-TTL. I've emailed Metz, and they have waffled on whether or not they are even planning to build a new SCA module to do Pentax P-TTL. They definitely do not have an SCA adapter with P-TTL available yet.

So if you're using a Metz flash with your K10D, you'll have to set the flash on auto so that it quenches itself based on how much light is hitting its sensor. Or you can of course set it on manual if your situation allows that.

If you want P-TTL with Pentax cameras, I believe that you have to go with flashes from Pentax (obviously), Sigma, or ProMaster.

Hope this helps,

-- Michael
01-08-2007, 08:17 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mlaird Quote
I believe that all Pentax cameras after the DS do NOT have TTL sensors (the DS2 might or might not -- I'm not sure). From what I've read, the K10D definitely does not have TTL capability.

That means that your K10D can only use P-TTL, which Metz does not yet support. Feel free to bug them about it, since I'd like to be able to use my 32 MZ-3 with P-TTL. It works fine in TTL mode on my *ist DS, but won't do P-TTL. I've emailed Metz, and they have waffled on whether or not they are even planning to build a new SCA module to do Pentax P-TTL. They definitely do not have an SCA adapter with P-TTL available yet.

So if you're using a Metz flash with your K10D, you'll have to set the flash on auto so that it quenches itself based on how much light is hitting its sensor. Or you can of course set it on manual if your situation allows that.

If you want P-TTL with Pentax cameras, I believe that you have to go with flashes from Pentax (obviously), Sigma, or ProMaster.

Hope this helps,

-- Michael
I got a reply from metz recently stating that adding p-ttl via an sca adaptor was not possible ... the flash body itself has to support p-ttl so that 32mz2 wont ever get p-ttl.

01-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisN Quote
.... I've had good success with indoor test shots using a 45 CT-4 simply as an auto flash....
What are you powering it with? The regular battery pack with alkies, the b pack with something else or the propritary nicad pack?

I quit with their nicad pack years ago. I don't use the flash much now but still pull it out from time to time. I haven't put it on the 10D yet. I even had it set-up for my Nikon CoolPix 950. Now that was a funny rig, but boy could I outshoot anybody elses digital P&S indoors.
01-14-2007, 02:51 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by jnorth Quote
What are you powering it with? The regular battery pack with alkies, the b pack with something else or the propritary nicad pack?

I quit with their nicad pack years ago. I don't use the flash much now but still pull it out from time to time. I haven't put it on the 10D yet. I even had it set-up for my Nikon CoolPix 950. Now that was a funny rig, but boy could I outshoot anybody elses digital P&S indoors.
I rebuilt one of the original battery packs (rechargable AA - possibly NiMH?) with cheap nicads, just to see if the flash worked. It does, and the cheapo nicads seem to keep working ok too, certainly enough for my modest needs. One day I might rebuild one of the spare packs with a set of NiMH cells.