Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Pentaxian

yet another Eclipse vs. E2 question

I've searched through some of the old sensor cleaning posts, but have some conflicting info from Photographic Solutions that I'm still trying to figure out.

As far as I can tell, the official website says E2 is not recommended for "critical optics." Apparently sensor filters/covers are not "critical optics." In any case, in reply to my email, Photographic Solutions said E2 is just fine for lens cleaning, not just sensor cleaning.

In any case I have a K100 so I ordered plain old Eclipse, just in case, figuring it should clean whatever stuff I have now. It seems like in one sense, E2 is claimed to be a "superset" of E. Certainly the lens issue seems to be the only one in doubt; E2 is claimed to clean sensors as well as E (I think.) But if it does, and if (per the email) E2 can clean lenses and "critical optics", why does the E product still exist?

Meanwhile, for K100 super owners, does the anti-dust coating on the sensor have any effect on the E vs. E2 debate? The Photographic Solutions website does not differentiate the super vs. the no-so-super models.

Paul

12-04-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Well, if you look at the materials declaration forms they show that E is pure methanol while E2 is a combination of alcohols (methanol, ethanol and isopropyl). If I remember correctly, E2 is marketed more toward sensor cleaning and the original E more for general optics. Maybe someone else has a more detailed explanation for the two formulations.
12-04-2007, 11:58 PM   #3
Inactive Account

these links may help. aimed towards the k10d, but will prob still be helpful.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/11490-cleaning-k10...r-eclipse.html

Cleaning K10D Sensor with Eclipse instead of E2 [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review