Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve perry Quote
As a landscape shooter, I like wide to mid range usually. Nikon has a significant amount of glass that allows me to capture the images I want, but Pentax really only has 1 lens I can buy - the 55mm. The 25 will / may be out soon, but even so - a $10K camera with a whopping 2 lenses???
They have put back the 645 FA lenses in production, so you can get a bit more then 2 lenses

09-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
They have put back the 645 FA lenses in production, so you can get a bit more then 2 lenses
From where? B&H only shows the 55 avail.
09-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #18

Long Exposures

As a long time P645/67 film shooter with a bunch of FA lenses I've been waiting for the 645D. However I often depend on long exposures (5-10minutes) and all camera reviews fail to test for this. Phase + backs provide acceptable files in this realm and with pre-owned Phase prices dropping and a choice of different platforms (in the case of Mamiya 645; a wider array of more affordable lenses than Pentax) I'm hesitant to spring for a 645D until I see files created from long exposures. I'd appreciate it if any 645D owners can send me some long exposure files.

And as I depend on wides for most of my work I'm also concerned that the 25mm is so expensive in comparison to the Mamiya and H'Blad 28mm. Although perhaps not as mobile, a used Arca body/Phase adapter and a 25mm Rodenstock/Schneider lens would be cheaper than the Pentax lens alone.
09-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ricm Quote
As a long time P645/67 film shooter with a bunch of FA lenses I've been waiting for the 645D. However I often depend on long exposures (5-10minutes) and all camera reviews fail to test for this. Phase + backs provide acceptable files in this realm and with pre-owned Phase prices dropping and a choice of different platforms (in the case of Mamiya 645; a wider array of more affordable lenses than Pentax) I'm hesitant to spring for a 645D until I see files created from long exposures. I'd appreciate it if any 645D owners can send me some long exposure files.

And as I depend on wides for most of my work I'm also concerned that the 25mm is so expensive in comparison to the Mamiya and H'Blad 28mm. Although perhaps not as mobile, a used Arca body/Phase adapter and a 25mm Rodenstock/Schneider lens would be cheaper than the Pentax lens alone.
The Hasselblad 28mm is about $4,700 at B&H and the Mamiya is $4,900. A Rodenstock digital 24mm or 28mm lens is $6,000-$7,000. How is the Pentax pricing so much more expensive?

You don't hang out in the medium-format section of these forums. A 645D users have posted long exposure images with the 645D up to 30 minutes. I would ask. Also, the Pentax does not suffer from reciprocity law failure and so you will not need 5-10 minute exposures to achieve the same results as a film that does.

09-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I believe you can find them in Europe and Japan.
09-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tord Quote
The review boils down to that the 645 essentially is a tripod camera, while the D3X is also very useful away from the studio, on the move! The flash synch speed is very oldfashioned with the 645 (remember that even olf manual Hasselblads synch at 1/800th of a second), but other than that the 645D produces stunning results (if not on par with modern Hasselblads, which are even more made to be used in the studio, preferably tethered, and is even less useful handheld, and even more expensive).
Hasselblad uses a leaf shutter with a top speed including sync speed of 1/500. You can get a leaf shutter lens for the 645D with a sync speed of 1/500. The 645D works with high-speed sync with Pentax flashes.

And no, the 645D can be hand held easily--I do it all the time.
09-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote
HI there

IN general, I like the reviews on this web site. However, this particular review seems to show bias. I say that because of the conclusions. The IQ of the 645D is better than any Canon or Nikon, but on all other dimentions, I would put the Nikon on top. All Performance metrics, for example are clear negatives of the 645D but was not highlighted.
Can you be specific? The monitor and LCD are not better on a Nikon. Noise at 1600 is not better in a Nikon. I find handling the 645D much better than my Nikons. The optics on a 645D can be better than the ones on a Nikon.
09-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
I believe you can find them in Europe and Japan.
I've indeed seen them here in the UK and NL.

You can try to contact B&H, maybe they might be able to order them directly from Pentax.

Hier is de Japanse pentax shop met de lijst van 645 lenzen die je kan kopen.
http://shop.pentax.jp/c/c1515/

btw have you seen how many colours tehre are for the DA-L 35, wow.
http://shop.pentax.jp/c/c15/

Last edited by Anvh; 09-19-2011 at 10:51 AM.
09-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #24
Veteran Member

As a D3x shooter seriously considering a 645D, I have to say I'm surprised at how well the now 3year old + D3x held its ground. Without a doubt the Pentax captures more detail, but I think the real problem is glass.

As a landscape shooter, I like wide to mid range usually. Nikon has a significant amount of glass that allows me to capture the images I want, but Pentax really only has 1 lens I can buy - the 55mm. The 25 will / may be out soon, but even so - a $10K camera with a whopping 2 lenses???

I know, I could go used, but really, when you buy a camera like this why should you have to go over to eBay and fight over a bunch of beat up, 20 year old glass? That's crazy to me.

Problem is, Nikon- if they follow their release schedule - is probably only a year to 14 months away from a D4x, possibly at 36MP. Based on the photos I saw, that might put the two camera too close for anyone to really care. However, the Nikon will likely be cheaper and still have a LOT more glass to choose from. It won't be long before people start asking when the 645D is going to get a higher res sensor to compete.

I guess it almost seems to me Pentax was just too slow with this camera and its lenses. I have a feeling it's going to be obsolete before it even has a complete system together. Too bad too - as an old Pentax 6x7 and 645 film shooter, I would love to go back to a medium format camera.

Just my opinion as a D3x shooter...
But you have never shot MFD. Sony just came out with a 24MP APS-c sensor. It really does not compete with its 24MP 35mm sensor. Size matters. Making your photosites smaller in your camera is not always a good choice.

I have four lenses for my 645D. None are "beaten up." You can buy more than two new, but not yet in the USA. And the new 25mm has been released. A number of members have posted results with it in the forum.
09-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I guess it almost seems to me Pentax was just too slow with this camera and its lenses. I have a feeling it's going to be obsolete before it even has a complete system together. Too bad too - as an old Pentax 6x7 and 645 film shooter, I would love to go back to a medium format camera.
Actually, Phase and Hasselblad will have to play catch up. The MFD world has a lot to learn from the 645D.
09-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #26
Veteran Member

BTW, nice review. It seemed balanced. It is really hard to get to know a new camera and format with so little time. I find the 645D a very flexible imaging platform.
09-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
But you have never shot MFD. Sony just came out with a 24MP APS-c sensor. It really does not compete with its 24MP 35mm sensor. Size matters. Making your photosites smaller in your camera is not always a good choice.

I have four lenses for my 645D. None are "beaten up." You can buy more than two new, but not yet in the USA. And the new 25mm has been released. A number of members have posted results with it in the forum.
I've not shot with MFD yet - I want to, I really do!

That said, I'm fully aware of the quality difference in photosite size / sensor size - but...

The quality of the photosites makes a difference too. In Nikon, there is a signifiant difference between the D300 and the D7000. Despite the "handicap" of more pixles packed in the sensor, the D7000 still manages to have better noise and DR than the D300.

Extending that to a D4x, I'm concerned that the "lesser" camera may shine nearly as bright when it's newer technology is pitted against the (by then) 3 year old sensor in the Pentax. Plus, based on how long it's taken for them to release the camera and a couple lenses, I'd bet an update for the 645D won't happen for years into the future.

As for lenses, you may be able to buy new overseas, but does Pentax give them a warranty in the US? That, and BH Photo lists the 25mm as a new item, not yet released.

Like I say, I really want to do medium format again, but not too sure if this is the time - or camera - to do it with. (I'd go Hassy, but too much $$$$)

~Steve
09-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Also, downsizing (reducing resolution) usually makes images appear sharper/more detailed.
But with the 645D you have the choice. You can downsize to get a better image. Or keep the shot at the original size and get more coverage. Either way, that's a win.
09-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Really, a brand new major product with only 2 lenses?

I don't understand why Pentax has not re-introduced the fine lenses from the film 645 era for the 645D. Manual focus is perfectly okay for the sort of contemplative shooting that my 645n encourages, and that the 645D would also suit.

From my admittedly selfish standpoint, such re-production of the prior line of lenses, and bringing out new optics for the 645D would ease the inflationary spiral of the used lens market. Maybe then I could afford that zoom....
09-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I've not shot with MFD yet - I want to, I really do!

That said, I'm fully aware of the quality difference in photosite size / sensor size - but...

The quality of the photosites makes a difference too. In Nikon, there is a signifiant difference between the D300 and the D7000. Despite the "handicap" of more pixles packed in the sensor, the D7000 still manages to have better noise and DR than the D300.

Extending that to a D4x, I'm concerned that the "lesser" camera may shine nearly as bright when it's newer technology is pitted against the (by then) 3 year old sensor in the Pentax. Plus, based on how long it's taken for them to release the camera and a couple lenses, I'd bet an update for the 645D won't happen for years into the future.

As for lenses, you may be able to buy new overseas, but does Pentax give them a warranty in the US? That, and BH Photo lists the 25mm as a new item, not yet released.

Like I say, I really want to do medium format again, but not too sure if this is the time - or camera - to do it with. (I'd go Hassy, but too much $$$$)

~Steve
Well, I am not sure I would worry about the sensor in the 645D especially if you like the Blad--Hasselblad uses the same sensor in their 40MP camera (but Pentax has it working up to ISO 1,600). And I am not sure that technology can keep pushing sensor technology, if that is what is really happening (it could simply be improvements in signal processing). I have heard a number of folks rave about differences in new sensor releases just to find them almost identical. Still, how many pixels do you need? I have a Phase 25+ back that still makes great images. There is no need to replace it. The newer 24MP 35mm chips still do not touch it, at least at the base ISO which is where I use that in the studio. Noise and DR are really not a reason to wait to buy (or change) a camera today. I just printed a 44"x150" pano from the 645D today--that is twelve and a half feet long. I could not imagine the need for anymore quality. What upgrade path is there?