Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the K20 is well worth a purchase still. i have little to no interest in video capabilities so the k7 doesnt really do anything for me - and i dont shoot sports so i dont need a faster frame rate. what i do need is a rock solid beast of a camera - the weather sealing is wonderful as it also seals against mold and asbestos - two of my most common problems when shooting. K20 FTW!

09-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'd like to thank everyone for their responses. I came within a hair's breadth of going with the K20 but started to really consider the weight/size issue. In the years since I switched from the PZ1 to the DS I have had some major arthritis problems in neck, back and hands. But, neither the k-x or k-r did much for me. The more I looked at the k-7, and at what the current used prices are, the more I hesitated. Soo, for now I'll be holding off and saving towards a k-5. Hopefully the price will drop even more soon, or the used market will pick up (don't ask me why it should, unless a k-3 comes out). In the meantime I'll be putting "donations to the k-5 fund" on my holiday wishlist.
09-23-2011, 06:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I doubt K-5's prices will go down much nor quickly when the successor comes out unless it can make sandwiches for you while you take photos.
From What I've experienced with K-5 users is that they're so happy and content with what K-5 can do, I doubt many are willing to upgrade from K-5 anytime soon.

K20D, on the other hand, does things very well from what I've noticed. I went "down" from K-x to K20D, and there is a lot of difference. The photos look different somehow. It is noisier than K-x, but it's not without its charms.
K20D's Photos render slower after each shots, it is bulkier and heavier, it can't handle higher ISO like K-x could. But over-all, the picture quality in normal ISO range is quite extraordinary and all the extra features come in very handy.
I usually only shoot in 100-800 ISO anyways, so High ISO thing is nothing but a luxury. Top LCD and second dial is god-send. I found myself in need of extra control buttons or something while using K-x even when I knew nothing of photography.

K-x was literally the entrance to a school called Photography to me, but K20D is being the teacher that is guiding me through the course.
09-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by chibae Quote
I'd like to thank everyone for their responses. I came within a hair's breadth of going with the K20 but started to really consider the weight/size issue. In the years since I switched from the PZ1 to the DS I have had some major arthritis problems in neck, back and hands. But, neither the k-x or k-r did much for me. The more I looked at the k-7, and at what the current used prices are, the more I hesitated. Soo, for now I'll be holding off and saving towards a k-5. Hopefully the price will drop even more soon, or the used market will pick up (don't ask me why it should, unless a k-3 comes out). In the meantime I'll be putting "donations to the k-5 fund" on my holiday wishlist.
You should do a little research on Sensor Ratings within Pentax Cameras: DxOMark - Pentax

The K20D is certainly worth it, I think it's a better all around value than the K7; but you are right, it is a little larger and heavier. As others have pointed out, I've found the camera "comes alive" at ISO1600, which in most cases should work for outdoor images. I have the K-m, K10D and K20D, of the 3 the K10D renders by far, the best image at ISO100... (and I'm actually looking to purchase another K10D)

09-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
K-x was literally the entrance to a school called Photography to me, but K20D is being the teacher that is guiding me through the course.
Indeed. The K20D is an excellent guide dog for the blind, or workhorse, or some such animal metaphor. 3.3 years on, I'm still learning it. And this is after 5+ decades in photography!

QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
The K20D is certainly worth it, I think it's a better all around value than the K7; but you are right, it is a little larger and heavier. As others have pointed out, I've found the camera "comes alive" at ISO1600...
Hmmm, can you expand a bit on "comes alive" ??
09-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd say go for the K20D. It really is a workhorse of a camera. I bought mine from the forums used and probably would pay the same price for one today. Using it with a pancake lens (43mm, 35mm) gives some very nice portraits.
09-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went from istDL to a used K20D. The K20D is an excellent camera that feels and performs like a profession camera. I recently sprung for a K5 and promised to send my K20D to my son...I'm having real problems parting with it. Its just a great camera! Buy the Camera.

09-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I'm guessing the K5 price might not drop much soon, although I certainly might be wrong.

If it weren't so extremely relatively expensive, I'd suggest that a K200 might hold you over for a while until you can afford the K5, while providing an improvement in functionality for some of the purposes you seem to have for the camera. The weight of the heavier cameras is definitely a consideration, but only you can decide how important a factor that is for you.

Paul
09-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #24
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've got the *ist (now the wife's), the K20d and the K5. Honestly, for what I do, landscape & macro mostly, I don't notice the difference in the later two. Sure, the K5 gets most of the attention and current love, but the 20D is often on outings as a second body, usually with a prime when the K5 does the hard work with longer lenses. Pixel peepers might note some difference as will those who find the 20D a bit slower with less bells and whistles but I am really comfortable using them alternately. And up here in the Arctic, the WR is a real plus with both. You won't be disappointed with the 20D.
09-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had my K20 for almost 3 years now and love it. I was worried about the size and weight, however it was a non issue for me. It does everything I need very well - except.....
  1. I shoot mostly in the late afternoon, evening and night - at ISO 100. I am getting more noise that what I want - otherwise, daytime its perfect. The K5's ISO 80 would be nice.
  2. Its dynamic range is limited compared to the K5, however overall its still not bad.
  3. ... and since I shoot a lot on the tripod with an L bracket, the K20's wired release connection is obstructed by the L bracket, making the removal of the wired remote a bit cumbersome. The K5 has moved the connection to the opposite side - thus for me making access a lot easier.

In the grand scheme of things, these are not earthshaking problems. So, I am seriously considering a K5 - when, I really do not have a clue - maybe by the end of the year - maybe later, I don't know.... (how that for a positive answer).

The K20 ergonomics are absolutely wonderful. I can't go back to a single wheel any longer.

09-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chibae Quote
Is the 20D even worth considering anymore?
Certainly.
09-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I have a K20D. When the K-7 came out I ordered one. I sent it back after a week. I didn't like the image files as much as those from the K20D. My copies may have been better and worse than average, but DXO rated the sensor a bit lower, too. The K-7 is slightly smaller but holding both at the same time, I can't feel any appreciable difference in weight. (I now have a K-5)
09-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
After being a big dodo and selling my K20D, I just purchased another like new one 2 years later. I do have a good reason for selling it initially but no need to go into all that here. Bottom line I've decided my photography has suffered in a key area of late, and weathersealed/proof DSLR's are the answer. I don't trust Canon's weather sealing and don't like their handling at all (less the 50D), and I'm not about to pull out a loan just to get a decent weatherproofed Nikon either. Oly make a great camera in the E3 and E5 but I don't like their sensor, limited lens options, and the fact they are quitting in the DSLR business. Pentax remains at the top of my favorites list for many reasons but if you want a weather proof DSLR no manufacturer in the world has made that goal more accessible than Pentax. K20D review coming soon (just finished up on the K200D review).

-Carl
09-29-2011, 03:13 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I'm a fan of my K20D also, I've been thinking about the K-5 but only because of astrophotography. In truth, the K20D is more than enough camera for me and it was a really amazing stepping stone from the K100DS I had before it, I like the weight and ergonomics, decent size back-lit top LCD etc. I've only really recently attempted to use ISO's above 800 with it, and to my surprise I've found that 1600 RAW isn't too bad with some 3rd party noise reduction really .

Here was a test shot at ISO 1000, not amazing compared to newer sensors but certainly not bad either- especially since this hasn't had any processing on it except for export to jpg and resize.

K20D Noise test
09-29-2011, 05:43 AM   #30

I wanted a K20D last year but ended up with a K10D - not dissapointed by anymeans but felt the K20D was a better camera based on consumer reviews and personal accounts. Since I am an amatuer with limited funds the K10D won the race.
Either way K20D / K-7 You won't be dissapointed with the upgrade from an ist as my brother in law has an iST and he loves the K10D I bought. There are a number of good improvements.
Good luck!