Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Taking a picture direct to computer screen?

Hey, do Pentax cameras have the ability to take a picture and send it directly to the computer monitor right when you take it? When I'm doing studio-esk shots that'd be great to have so I can see what's right and wrong on a much bigger screen.

Anyone even know what I'm talking about? Thanks for anyone who helps!

12-04-2007, 11:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Free downloaded Pentax software "Remote Assistant" for the *istD and K10D (two separate programs) will do the job.

Camera working controls are available from the computer via USB cable probably up to about 15-20 feet. Very useful for checking macro focusing/dof (or lack of).

Regards

David
12-05-2007, 12:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Damn, too bad I'm still shooting the K110D! Hopefully the K10D will come to me this summer.
12-05-2007, 12:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Damn, too bad I'm still shooting the K110D! Hopefully the K10D will come to me this summer.
closest thing you've got with the K110D is the ability to put your review up on a screen. using the usb to RCA cable that came with the camera, it turns what ever TV screen is available to plug into, to a large display

12-05-2007, 01:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh damn, that's what I'm looking for and I forgot that cable at home!

But it's nice to know that I'll be able to do that and see my pics much much bigger and see just how great they actually look and be able to tell what I can do to make them better in the next shot.

Thank you to both of you.
12-05-2007, 05:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
Free downloaded Pentax software "Remote Assistant" for the *istD and K10D (two separate programs) will do the job.

Camera working controls are available from the computer via USB cable probably up to about 15-20 feet. Very useful for checking macro focusing/dof (or lack of).

Regards

David
Thanks David, care to elaborate on this - are there any links on the subject.
Thanks for the question, Buschmaster.
12-05-2007, 06:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

This might work for you too.

Amazon.com: Eye-Fi Card, Wireless 2 GB SD Memory Card: Electronics
12-05-2007, 08:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Oh damn, that's what I'm looking for and I forgot that cable at home!

But it's nice to know that I'll be able to do that and see my pics much much bigger and see just how great they actually look and be able to tell what I can do to make them better in the next shot.
I doubt if it is really what you are looking for. The cable is used to show the image on a TV, and many computer monitors will also have a suitable video input. PAL has 525 lines vertically and I think NTSC has fewer, so your 3008x2008 RAW image is scaled down to a quarter of the resolution. What you'll see will be nothing like what you would see if you download the image to your computer and then view at your monitor's resolution. I tried it exactly once with my 1680x1050 LCD monitor and went Ugh!

Richard

12-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, do Pentax cameras have the ability to take a picture and send it directly to the computer monitor right when you take it? When I'm doing studio-esk shots that'd be great to have so I can see what's right and wrong on a much bigger screen.

Anyone even know what I'm talking about? Thanks for anyone who helps!
If you have Adobe Lightroom, you can do this, I believe. I have not had either the opportunity or the need for this, although it would have been neat today when I did a shoot of a friend for a BIO web shot.

LR allows you to set up a watched import folder. Each time a photo is saved to the folder, LR will import it. When LR imports it will display the photo(s) on screen.

I am not sure if you need the remote software to overcome the camera's shutting down to PC mode as soon as it detects the computer, but that could easily be the case.
12-06-2007, 12:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This URL is from the US Pentax Site. It covers Remote Assitant download for K10D and *istD.

Pentax Imaging - Software & Firmaware Updates

Take care

David
12-06-2007, 06:42 AM   #11

That is the coolest thing I have seen in awhile! Looks like it would be especially fun at parties, for streaming live shots to a TV.

You know, in addition to being generally useful.

Last edited by sethbienek; 12-06-2007 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Context helps...
12-08-2007, 10:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Turns out that can't transfer RAW files, though. This has some SERIOUS potential, though.

Imagine taking a picture and BAM it's on your computer and off your card. You'd rarely even need all 2GB of it.