Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2011, 03:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tiny Marvel that is Pentax.

I'm sure it goes for a lot of Pentax bodies, but I just realized just how tiny Pentax cameras are.
I own K-x, so I get that it's one of the smallest DSLR, but didn't really think about it until I took this photo today.

Last edited by RickyFromVegas; 09-19-2011 at 04:27 AM.
09-19-2011, 03:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
the k-x + Da40 is 69mm thick.

It is one of the smallest DSLR combo you can have on the whole market.

And it's probably the best lense i own and tried so far
09-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It doesn't seem so small with a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 attached to it! :-)

Last edited by DaveHolmes; 09-19-2011 at 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling error
09-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
Forum Member

love that pancake!

09-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #5

it is very small. But sometimes that makes it look less pro.. because you see all the pros carrying big canons with battery grips and what not, so the k-x looks almost like one of those slr style consumer cameras, that arent really an slr.

But i think its a good thing.
09-25-2011, 02:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mpmetro Quote
...so the k-x looks almost like one of those slr style consumer cameras, that arent really an slr.

But i think its a good thing.
Indeed. You can get away with much more if you just look like a clueless n00b or flaky tourista with a bridge cam. Pioneering photojournalist Alfred Eisenstaedt was a self-described "little guy with a little camera" who could just disappear in crowds. If questioned, he'd respond, "Oh don't mind me, I'm only taking snapshots". Big pro gear is conspicuous. Often, being stealthy is more rewarding.

EDIT: I am reminded of journalist Xeni Jardin's report on Guatemala a couple years back. (I just missed her there.) She presented an interesting series, all shot with some flat tiny shiny magenta P&S that went unnoticed because, ai yi, she's just another tourista.

Last edited by RioRico; 09-25-2011 at 03:52 AM.
09-25-2011, 03:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

And with those Pancakes, you are almost invisible, and people don't see you like a man with a placard with "STEAL ME !" written on it

Edit : Yesterday i went do some climbing with friends, i was using my red K-x + DA40, and a man came and said "nice toy". People just think you have some bad body and lense, and in a way that's great, because nobody cares or mess with you.
09-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only downside I've found is that my K2000 (Km) feels a little too small sometimes. Maybe I have larger than normal hands (I've never thought I did), but after holding it for about 20-30 minutes, my last two fingers and the bottom half of my hand can cramp up a bit. I wish someone made a battery grip for it if only to add a little surface area.

09-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I love the size of my K-X. Even with my 100mm on it, it's comfortable for me to hold. I'm kind of tiny and it fits my hands just great.
09-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Even with a DA 35/2.4 or 43 ltd on, the K-x is almost pocketable.
Enjoy the quality of images too with your lightweight comination.
09-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Oh, hey Ricky. Didn't know you registered here.

Yep, Pentax DSLRs are generally small yet powerful. The first DSLR that they released (the *ist D) is one of the smallest too. It's one of the reasons I prefer Pentax over other brands.
09-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You want great small lenses? Look for M42 Takumars (which require an M42-PK adapter). In the Tak era, Asahi-Pentax and Leitz were head-and-head as the world's best lensmakers. Totally manual operation, but the optics just can't be beat. And they can be used in Av mode.
09-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

If you think the outside of the package is worthy of note, acquire one of the many film bodies that are beyond economical salvage today and completely disassemble it.

One can't help but admire the people that conceived, drafted plans, manufactured and assembled the parts for these precision instruments. More complex than a wrist watch by far. And pre-computer CAD and CNC programs too.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 09-26-2011 at 08:43 AM.
09-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
If you think the outside of the package is worthy of note, acquire one of the many film bodies that are beyond economical salvage today an and completely disassemble it.
I did just that a few months ago with an Ansco Autoset (Minolta Hi-Matic) RF that I'd bought CHEAP! just so I could scavenge the lens. I pretty much dismantled it totally, threw out the major chunks of chassis, and I still have a pie-tin full of parts: screws, gears, washers, levers, rings, studs, flotsam and jetsam, hundreds and hundreds of bits and pieces. Mechanical watches are very simple in comparison. And the shutter mechanism is basically a specialized watch, produced by watchmaker Seiko. Pretty awesome. (I felt like a ghoul as I tore it apart.)
09-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
. . . and I still have a pie-tin full of parts:
You start out with half a shot-glass full of screws an' such.

But they breed in the dark and before you realize it, you have a coffee can full of stuff you have no name for and about 437,576 itty-bitty screws -- which ain't TOO bad until somehow they become magnetized.

The good news is you (may) find a use for 6-8 of the screws and one spring in a decade or two.

Fortunately, the shot-glass is now available for other uses.

H2