Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2007, 08:52 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Please Help! - M42 adapter stuck (not the leaf spring thing)

Hi guys, maybe you can help me, I'm in a bit of jam (see what I did there? )

My "Hama" K to M42 adapter "overturned",so to speak, in the lens mount of my K10d. It's now jammed between two positions past the natural locking point (well, it's not jammed per se, it moves for about 50 degrees, then stops, and does not clear the mount). The leaf spring seems to be already fully pressed.

In its left-most available position, the adapter is loose "upwards" for about 75% of it's radius, being held down in it's right-down corner.

Anyone had any similar experiences?

If not, has anyone removed the tiny screws on top of the lens mount? Should I try that? Is there risk in trying to use brute force?

Please help.

Andrei

12-05-2007, 09:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In no way would I remove the cameras mount. There are electrical contacts attached to the back side (see those ball bearings?). Plus removing the mount wouldn't make this any easier to get off. It's a bayonet after all so it's locked on front and rear.

If I couldn't get it off I'd 1st take it to a Pentax repair depot and pay the money to have experienced hands do it. Or if for some reason that's not possible, I'd get a good pair of needle nosed piers with long arms to crush the ring inwards. Being very careful not to damage anything on the camera.
12-05-2007, 09:25 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ok. After a few hours of panic, I got it solved.

For some reason this particular adapter (or all, for that matter, I don't know), if "overtightened" passes whatever blocks the lens from rotating freely in the mount. It puts up a little resistance, then keeps turning easily for another 90 or so degrees, then another resistance. What I ended up with was the adapter stuck between these two first resistance points.

I put the lens (M42) back on, and kept "screwing" gently but firmly (well, you know what I mean the google score for this thread just went through the roof), overtook 3 more "resistance points" and the adapter had completed a 360 turn, thereby ending up in the "free to remove" position.

Just wanted to let you know, in case anyone else comes across this.

The items in question were a K10D, a Hama PK-M42 adapter and a SMC Takumar 135mm f/2.5
12-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really hate to say this countzero but the real Pentax model fits perfectly, stops in the right place and at least mine comes off without any tools.
It's one place where I think that your foolish to use anyone elses product.

Although I suppose that it might be hard to get where you live.

12-05-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I know where that adapter would be if it was mine. It should stop firmly after it locks in place.
12-05-2007, 06:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow. I agree, Peter. Andrei's problem and solution doesn't sound all that dandy to me. As such, if I were lucky enough to get the adapter off once without damage, that thing would certainly never go back on the camera again.

stewart
12-06-2007, 05:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Andrei, did you originally try to make the "top" of the lens go to the 12 o'clock position? If you did, that was probably the cause of your problem.

12-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
It's one place where I think that your foolish to use anyone else's product.
If you have a look at the mount on the body you'll see by the red dot under the bayonet a rectangular piece of springy metal. This is what the spring on the adapter engages (on one edge) and acts as the end stop for the bayonet lugs (the other edge). I am sure anyone with a firm grip could get the genuine Asahi adapter to rotate further. I am amazed that this is the only thing that stops the bayonet of lens being rotated further (unless I am missing something).

It might be that the lugs on the Hama adapter aren't quite the same size as the Asahi adapter, making it easier to rotate past this end stop, but ultimately, I expected a nice chunk of firm metal to act as an end stop, not a thin piece of spring steel.

I think countzero should examine this piece of metal carefully to make sure it wasn't damaged when he rotated the adapter too far. If it's mangled, then it could break at some point and the last thing he'll want is a bit of metal rattling around in there.

Richard
12-06-2007, 12:09 PM   #9

I was going to suggest taking a hack saw to the lens, glad to hear it didnt have to come to that.
12-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Countzero, any chance you could post a pic of your adapter?
11-26-2008, 07:15 PM   #11

it worked thanks czero.

QuoteOriginally posted by countzero Quote
Ok. After a few hours of panic, I got it solved.

<<<<<<<<<<<

I put the lens (M42) back on,<<<<<<<<<<<<, overtook 3 more "resistance points" and the adapter had completed a 360 turn, thereby ending up in the "free to remove" position.

Just wanted to let you know, in case anyone else comes across this.

The items in question were a K10D, a Hama PK-M42 adapter and a SMC Takumar 135mm f/2.5
Moral of my story below: for a jammed m42 adapter with Nikon D40...

Firstly, when fitting on, line up the adapter and body dots before twisting on. 2nd secure this setup by carrying on twisting (it's a bit tight) until it clicks in a pin from the body. Quite some angle....towards200-300 degrees before the body release pin clicks through and secures the adapter. 3rd, if adapter feels too tight to come off after use, try counterzero's, and my method. Read on for details below.

My experience is with a Nikon D40 and a no-glass M42 adapter from a UK eBay seller.

I know this is an old thread but thanks to counterzero's method of unjamming this, I fixed a similar problem just now. This time with a Nikon D40 dslr and a no-glass M42 adapter. I didn't count the 3 resistance points, but basically the lens and adapter went right round again, got the adapter/body dots lined up pressed the body release button at the body and off came the adapter/lens combo. Getting the dots lined up and pressing the release button are the key end points of course.

The Nikon is my goddaughter's and I bought her the adapter. I fitted it on and it would not come off. Because trying to twist the adapter off on its own, at least the first few times seemed impossibly tight. And by the way, trying to twist it off with the lens on, anticlockwise to line up the dots for release as per eBay auction instructions sometimes just twists off the lens, but not the adapter. Keep turning it clockwise to reach the lined up dots situation will do it each time.

Any damage: No, thankfully. Not visible physical damage nor actual shooting/metering/other functions damage, none. I tested it afterwards shooting with the kit lens on auto focus etc. And yes, the nikon/M42 adapter plus m42 lens combo does work now for my goddaughter. Not nearly as good as my m42 adapter/pentax ist ds combo though bcos the longer lens flange to sensor distance on the nikons does not allow infinity focus unlike the shorther distances for pentax and canon. Unless you get an M42adapter for Nikon that has the added glass (more expensive and light reduction due to the glass).

Thanks counterzero.

It would have been a trip to the camera shop + costs otherwise......

Limits of the above Nikon 40D/no-glass adapter setup. The 28mm wide angle lenses are practically unuseable as they won't turn enough to focus. The 50-55mm lenses will focus say 10-12 feet and below but not more. The 135mm can focus 'further'.......So, macro and telephoto work only it seems from my experience. Moral: if really serious about M42/dslr work, steer clear of Nikon due to lack of focus towards and including infinity focus. Do some research, and get a different brand, preferably Pentax.

Last edited by jamelikat; 11-26-2008 at 07:32 PM.
11-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

After this close call, I would quickly, without hesitation, throw the ***** thing away. (The adapter, not the camera...)

Steve
11-26-2008, 07:43 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Andrei, did you originally try to make the "top" of the lens go to the 12 o'clock position? If you did, that was probably the cause of your problem.
My apology for hijacking this thread - but Mike (Dr. Takumar) I have always wondered why my S-M-C T50/1.4 does not mount in the 12 o'clock orientation. Sounds like maybe it isn't my lens or M42 adapter.
11-27-2008, 04:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My apology for hijacking this thread - but Mike (Dr. Takumar) I have always wondered why my S-M-C T50/1.4 does not mount in the 12 o'clock orientation. Sounds like maybe it isn't my lens or M42 adapter.
I have used the Roxsen adapter and now use the Pentax adapter. While the Pentax adapter comes closer to 12 o'clock, both of them stop short. Given the fact that the protruding built-in flash makes it very difficult to see anything at 12 o'clock anyway I have always considered this a benefit and been thankful for it.
11-27-2008, 05:18 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
After this close call, I would quickly, without hesitation, throw the ***** thing away. (The adapter, not the camera...)
>>>>>>>>
I could, but I haven't, because it now works. Goes on the Nikon O.K., shooting with M42 is satisfactory, comes off O.K.

Regardless, thanks for the advice.