Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #1

Program Lines

I noticed recently that the K10D has 4 program lines that can be set in the custom menu. Does anyone use this function? It appears that with modern lenses I should possibly be using the MTF program line based on the few explanations I've found in the forum and online. An example I thought of would be using my FA50 f1.4 and the MTF program line to use the lenses "sweet spot". I just found this late last night and have yet to test each mode to see what they do.

The four modes are...

Normal - A general use setting

High Speed - For fast shutter speeds

DOF - For smaller apertures, macro(?)

MTF - Uses the lenses "sweet spot" if the lens stores the information

I think the way this works is you set the program line in the custom menu and then to use it you set the mode dial to "Hyper Program" or "P". the camera then optimizes itself for that type of use.

From Pentax K10D Digital Camera - Full Review - The Imaging Resource!

"Well, with the Pentax K10D, you can set Program mode to do just that via a Custom function. The function is "Program line," and you set it to MTF to enable this mode. Unfortunately you can't select which apertures to lock out, but certain lenses apparently know, and transfer this information to the camera. It even changes the bias as you zoom the lens, according to Pentax's John Carlson, which is important given what we've seen on SLRgear.com. That might be why this particular Program line is called MTF, which stands for Modulation Transfer Function. What that means, I don't know; but set it, and your camera will automatically set for the sweet spots with DA, D, D FA, FA, and FA J lenses."

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

12-05-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, the Program Line settings are tweaks for the "Green" and "P" modes, defining what you want emphasize. The manual explains the individual settings and, based on your message, you seem to have the right idea about each. As such, only your own experience can now determine whether you personally like this capability. By the way, all of this is strictly a preference, so there is no "should" about it (as in "...I should possibly be..."). If you like the results, you're the only one who decides if you should use it.

stewart
12-05-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had mine set to MTF for a while, but I found it tends to end up using f/4 indoors more than I'd like with my DA 40mm Limited. (f/4 isn't the lens's sweet spot -- it's just as close as it can get with the lighting -- in other words, it's doing exactly what it's supposed to, but turns out i don't want that most of the time.)

I actually kind of wish there were a quick switch to change the modes. Were it easy to switch, I'd go between DOF and high-speed.
12-05-2007, 07:56 PM   #4
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Yes, the Program Line settings are tweaks for the "Green" and "P" modes, defining what you want emphasize. The manual explains the individual settings and, based on your message, you seem to have the right idea about each.
Actually this post, moreso what's quoted in the OP, does much better then the manual.