Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2011, 03:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-7: Interval Shooting with bracketing - is it possible?

Thread title says it all really!

I have been enjoying taking pictures at car shows recently, and have been having a bit of a play with HDR - a car tyre, a shiny piece of chrome and a bright sky is more dynamic range than my poor K-7 can deal with!

The other problem with car shows is getting pictures without other people in - sometimes it's nice to add some context, but sometimes I just want the car.

It occur to me that for cars I really want on their own, I could put the camera on a tripod and use the Interval shooting feature to perhaps take 20 shots with a minute between them (while I have a drink and a sandwich) and then average out the shots - this will either give a car on it's own as the people will average out, or some ghostly images of the slow movers - either way I think it'll be interesting. Shots done like this always see to have a slightly dreamy quality, I guess because the trees and so on move.

Anyway, I think car shots are best in HDR, even if I'm not entirely satisfied with my results so far, so what I want is the interval shooting feature to take a bracketed three shots every minute, but it only seems to take one shot.

Is there a way to do it, or do I have to let it do 20 shots at -2, then 20 shots at 0 then 20 shots at +2 - which will take an hour - and I don't have that many sandwiches

Cheers.

(and because I know it's a photogrpahy forum, here's a sample - a lovely 61 year old van, but with two people in the picture too!)

09-20-2011, 04:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I would do, If you do have a tripod, do what your talking about, but rather than 20 shots, just do 5 or so, then put them in photoshop, and use a mask to remove people in shot A, B, C, D, E... etc.
So to explain a little better, Load the 5 images in photo shop as 5 layers, then on layer 5, use mask to "erase" the people at each location. So if in 5 photos, people are standing in 5 locations, at some point there should be enough information that you can mask the person out, and expose the background.
Here is an example.
Here are two junk photos from a recent shoot, please dont critique, just the only photos i had handy to explain.
They were stacked layers, I just simply took one layer, created a mask, and "painted" out the two people on the step, thus showing what appears to be an empty step from two photos, both having people on them.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
09-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #3

Unless you're willing to tether (and I'm not sure if the Windows tethering app supports what you want), I think you're out of luck.

If you are willing to tether, and have a netbook or something similar running Linux, I wrote a small program to do shutter control via serial port. It would do what you want, but it's not pretty. It's a command-line app (no GUI), and would require you to build a cable (not difficult if you're handy with a soldering iron.) If you want it (and promise not to laugh at my horrible coding skills let me know, and I can send it to you.
09-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks both.

@Slick Yamaha - that could work. The people are generally in a part of the image that has a fairly small dynamic range, so I could just do a couple of shots at the 'correct' exposure and then one either side.

@Karl - that's very kind (and clever) but I have neither the skills nor a Linux machine!

09-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
A remote timer release will probably do what you want. Just set the camera to trigger shoot the multiple exposures on a single press, then set up the remote timer to trigger at a set interval. There's one in particular that I like that I saw on here (it's smaller and has a detachable cord), but can't find a link to it at the moment.

To remove people, you can load the images into an image stack in photoshop, then apply a median stack filter, that should automatically remove anything that's moving without any effort. Here's some more info: CreativeTechs Tips: Photoshop CS3's Automatic People Remover.

Here it is: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/617582-REG/Seculine_I01__Twin_1_ISR.html
It's a lot better than the Aputure one I had previously which would constantly run out of batteries and shut off. Looks like you can get the seculine one for about $35 on ebay.

Last edited by walter; 09-20-2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: add link to timer remote release
09-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #6

"Just set the camera to trigger shoot the multiple exposures on a single press"

Walter brought up a good point here. In the K7, I believe there is a setting in the menus that sets whether or not to take all bracketed shots on one shutter press or otherwise having to press the shutter for each bracketed shot. Might be worth a try! Don't have my K7 on hand to give it a try for you unfortunately...