Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2011, 02:27 AM   #1

?s about Lenses for a K10

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and need to find out more about my Pentax K10. I've loved using it so far and have come up with some great pics ... hence I want to really maximize out what this camera can really do. I bought it here in Az. but when the store I bought it from went out of business, it left me with no local support. I've searched for another camera store here that sells Pentax but have had no luck finding one.

Which brings me to my question:

It appears from what I'm reading on this forum that any lens that Pentax has built will work on my K10? Is this true?

Secondly, if so ... I need a good panaramic wide angle lens to shoot the diverse landscapes and sunsets here in Arizona. The wider the lens the bettter. I don't want to give up picture quality tho. Which lens would the forum members here recommend?

I really appreciate this forum already and thank ahead of time anyone that can help with these questions.

Warm Arizona regards,

Greg

09-21-2011, 05:12 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gsy.paramount Quote
It appears from what I'm reading on this forum that any lens that Pentax has built will work on my K10? Is this true?

Secondly, if so ... I need a good panaramic wide angle lens to shoot the diverse landscapes and sunsets here in Arizona. The wider the lens the bettter. I don't want to give up picture quality tho. Which lens would the forum members here recommend?
Any Pentax-mount lens -- yes, although with the oldest ones (M42 screwmount) you would need an adapter.

You'll get mixed opinions as to how wide is most useful for landscapes. I.e. that wider is not always better. Sigma makes a couple of 10-20 zooms. The Pentax 12-24 is well regarded but currently out of stock due to the earthquake/tsunami in Japan. Have you checked the lens reviews? But some folks like longer FLs for landscapes. Of course, for truly wide there's also the Sigma 8-16 zoom.
09-21-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All pentax digital cameras can take photos with every pentax lens or pentax compatible lens ever made, with some limitations.

For screw mount lenses (these are commonly referred to as M42 lenses because the thread is 42mm in diameter) you need an adaptor to allow the lens to mount. Once mounted, you can use the lens when you have the function "use aperture ring" set to on. The lens can be used in Av mode, by turnining the aperture ring, and the exposure will change (i.e. shutter speed) to match the light entering the camera. Or you can use it in M mode and press the green button to do the same thing.

For K mount lenses (with no A setting) you can only use them in M mode and set shutter to match aperture by pressing the green button.

Note: On the K10D the metering with older lenses is "interesting" and has been the topic of many discussions. Also there is no exposure compensation in manual mode and many M42 lenses require a constant exposure compensation t bring them up to the correct metering range. This is a function of whether or not the M42 lens base is insulated (black) or shorts out the lens contacts on the mount.

ALso note that for M42 and K mount lenses you will need to use Manual FLash, or use a flash with it's own sensor in "Auto" mode. The camera needs a KA mount or later lens to use the P-TTL flash system in the K10D.

For KA lenses (i.e. lenses with an A setting,) leave it in A and use the camera as you would with newer AF lenses
09-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome! Yes, any Pentax lens ever made (with about 3 minuscule exceptions) will fit modern Pentax dSLRs like your K10D. M42 screwmount lenses (those made by Pentax are usually labeled Takumar) will fit, with a simple adapter -- and we have lots to say about adapters! Lenses with the PK bayonet mount need no adapters. Lenses from other makers will also fit but may need adapters. Certain lenses made for the Pentax-Ricoh KR bayonet mount, and certain lenses with the Vivitar name, have mount issues and need minor surgery to fit properly.

As Lowell said, various older lenses may have functional limitations, usually having to do with 'automatic' aperture operation. Just because a lens fit and works doesn't mean that it will be easy to use, a source of masochistic pleasure for many of us manual-lens pervs. The easiest lenses are 1) those that are autofocus (AF), and 2) those with A-type contacts on the lens base. All other lenses require a little easily-learned technique. We have great fun with this.

No, ultra-wide lenses aren't necessarily best for shooting 'scapes. Any UWA (ultrawideangle) or FE (fisheye) lens will shrink the distant -- mountains turn into molehills, city skylines become bumps. Very short focal lengths are usually best for 1) shooting in very small spaces, or 2) shooting to emphasize something close while diminishing its background. If we look at published collections of 'scapes, we see that most of them were shot in a focal-length range equivalent to the 18-55mm kit lens. I personally prefer a 24mm lens if I can stand a little distortion, or a 28mm lens if I want the image distortion-free.

That said, UWA and FE lenses are good to have and fun to use. The lens that brought me to Pentax was the wonderful DA10-17 fisheye zoom, very fishy on the wide end (10mm), subtly fishy on the long end (17mm). Non-fishy (aka rectilinear) UWA's have a different distortion, often more pleasing to us than is curved fishiness. Baro-nite mentioned the Sigma 10-20's and Pentax 12-24. I have the Tamron 10-24, a focal-length range I find very useful for tight spaces on the wide end and 'scapes at the long end.

But how good are these lenses? The fishy DA10-17 and rectilinear DA12-24 have excellent optics and builds. With the Sigmas (and the Tamron to a lesser extent), some users report having to return lenses several times before obtaining a good copy. I have no problems with my Tamron 10-24 and I love the DA10-17; I have no experience with the others. It's a good idea to read the lens reviews here when considering an UWA or FE (or any other) lens. And be sure to buy lenses from sellers with no-questions-asked return policies.

Last edited by RioRico; 09-21-2011 at 07:19 AM.
09-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for the 10-17 Fisheye. It turns the K-10 into a big, nearly foolproof P&S at 17mm.

You can look for some old M-series K-mount wide-angle lenses and do well with the K10. A-series even better, I think.

You can always rent lenses too, before buying them if you want to look at the more modern (expensive) lenses.
09-21-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I tend to agree that UWAs are great for tight places, not so great for expansive vistas, unless you want to use a prominent foreground object. For this, I've owned no finer lens than the DA 15mm Limited during 40 years of serious shooting.
More versatile, but still with outstanding IQ, is the Pentax 12-24.
09-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by gsy.paramount Quote
Hello,

...I don't want to give up picture quality tho...

Warm Arizona regards,

Greg
In regards to picture quality, are you referring to what you see on a computer screen or something printed on paper? IMHO 2 vastly different things... one has not caught up with the other... yet.

I have a K10D and love this camera. Colors rendered are awesome and at ISO100 it is sharp and there is NO "grain" on a well exposed image.

I'm pretty sure you must have gotten the Kit lens 18-55 with your camera? If so, that is the lens I would recommend you initially use or purchase, most likely new for less that $100; you will know right away if you need something wider than 18mm.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/45425-kit-lens-club.html - check out some of the decent landscape shots with the Kit Lens...

09-23-2011, 04:12 AM   #8

Not forgetting that you can take several overlapping pictures in portrait format with a standard lens and merge them together for stunning panoramas. You will get higher quality, higher pixel count and no lenses to buy.

Lots of software is available for merging pictures like this.
09-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kevbirder Quote
Not forgetting that you can take several overlapping pictures in portrait format with a standard lens and merge them together for stunning panoramas. You will get higher quality, higher pixel count and no lenses to buy.

Lots of software is available for merging pictures like this.
Like this. These were taken with the F35-135.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/78589...our-panos.html
09-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Now, paramount, read RioRico's post again and carefully consider his points. You will then be on a very good path, in my opinion.