Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2011, 04:08 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why are the estimated image counts so wrong?

I always shoot RAW and when I put an empty 4GB SD card in my K10D it says I can shoot 244 images. And that number agrees with what the manual states. But 244 images at 10MB is roughly about 2.5GB.

Last weekend I almost filled two 4GB cards (I don't wait until it says memory card is full!) and I got 382 and 387 images respectively.
That is substantially more than 244 images per card.

Why is there such a great difference between the camera's estimate and what it actually produces?

09-21-2011, 04:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There can be a big variation in the file size and the information in the files you produce. Thats what I observe in my current camera (the K-5). A quick look in my photo library reveals file sizes between 17 and 26mb. The camera cannot guess perfectly how much information a upcoming shot will have. So I imagine the software is tuned to give a very conservative estimate.
09-21-2011, 04:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
There can be a big variation in the file size ----- So I imagine the software is tuned to give a very conservative estimate.
I agree.

My K200D has the same CCD as Fries' K10D and shows the same results. However, the important thing about the counter is that as you use up card memory the estimates of image space remaining becomes increasingly more accurate.

And the good thing about using a conservative estimate is that you do not risk running out of memory in the midst of an important photo session. (That is: If you keep a regular eye on the counter!).
09-21-2011, 05:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I always shoot RAW and when I put an empty 4GB SD card in my K10D it says I can shoot 244 images. And that number agrees with what the manual states. But 244 images at 10MB is roughly about 2.5GB.

Last weekend I almost filled two 4GB cards (I don't wait until it says memory card is full!) and I got 382 and 387 images respectively.
That is substantially more than 244 images per card.

Why is there such a great difference between the camera's estimate and what it actually produces?
don't confuse 10MP of your K10D with 10MB of space per file.

Image files have highly variable size, based upon what is actually in the image. the estimate is based upon a worst case for the K10D of rooughly 14MB per image.

09-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, guys, for your replies. What you have all said makes sense. However, the starting estimate seems to be over conservative. But if it gets more accurate as you shoot more images then I guess that is a good thing.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
09-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The main discrepancy is the compression that can be applied to PEF files. The algorithm that computes remaining number of image seems to be unaware of the existence of compression. It would be correct if the images couldn't be compressed at all, but mot can, often by a considerable amount.
09-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Marc. I always shoot PEF and I just checked on the file sizes and on one card they ranged from 8.3MB to 11.6MB.