Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Want a K-5/K-7 grip for $50?

I've recently gotten an interesting offer from one of our recent giveaway sponsors, DinoDirect, which sells lots of generic electronics and accessories at pretty low prices.

If we get 20 people interested in a generic grip for your K-5/K-7, then they will give us a coupon code for some 30% off the prices listed below (effectively around $50 for each grip):
OtherBrand MK Multi-Power Battery Grip for PENTAX K-7 - DinoDirect.com
Portable Camera Battery Grip for Pentax K7 - DinoDirect.com

Post here if you want in!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

To think I just spent $199 a week ago.. Are these pentax official grips?
09-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
They're generics (not weather-sealed), here's a review:
D-BG4 K7 Battery Grip (Generic) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've got one of those and there are a couple of issues you might want to consider:

A: The battery compartment does supply power to the camera but in my case the camera locked up 3x and I could only turn it off by disconnecting the grip from the camera. This seemed to occur when the grip ran out of power and it didn't switch over to the camera's internal power supply. I now only use my camera's battery compartment. Seems like QC is the main iussue with these units if you can get past the missing features listed below.

B: The locking latch on the ION battery holder just hangs out of it's recess and flops around.. won't stay put.

C: The ON/OFF/DOF button is rather flimsy and could break at any time based on it's 'wobblyness'.. lol

D: There is no weather sealing and there are no shock absorbers on the upper surface of the unit. Work out your own implications for that depending on usage I suppose.

E: I paid US$54 from DealExtreme and that included shipping to Australia. That appears to be the usual price.

I'll buy a genuine grip from B&H next time.

Last edited by bossa; 09-22-2011 at 08:10 PM.
09-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I have the same grip from DealExtreme, and have no negative issues other then the lack of wheater sealing. But than again, how often are you taking pictures in the rain :ugh:

It really fits like a glove on the K7 and there is nearly no noticeble differance in the material and the appearance of the camara versus the grip.
My grip works like a charm and only get disconnected when i am getting out in the rain.
I really would love to own an original Pentax grip, but simply can't affort a grip of some 300 dollar (that's the price you have to pay here in The Netherlands).
So, i settled with a grip of some 50 dollars of DealExtreme.

What i am saying in so many words, is that Pentax should lower the price of there grips. I am very sure that a huge lot of people would buy a genuine one.
09-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
I have the same grip from DealExtreme, and have no negative issues other then the lack of wheater sealing. But than again, how often are you taking pictures in the rain
I have wondered about this and if WS is the only difference - couldn't you just take it off in the rain (assuming it will stop soon enough)?
06-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter

If I have understood right, there is a seal in the body which you take off when assembling the battery grip, if there are no additional seal on the grip, the water will run in in the body too, not only in the grip. In other words you make the body unsealed when using cheap grips!
06-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Build quality is crap on these knockoffs.. plastic is a cheap grade that will wear and turn shiny, hollow feeling, lousy mushy buttons and dials, battery door tab will stress and break off, not weather sealed. Sure the Pentax grip is a lot of $ but I think the price difference is justified. Putting the knockoff grip on the K-5 just cheapens the look and feel of the entire package

06-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You can get these knock off grips brand new on ebay for $50 with free postage, ask dino direct for a better deal.

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 06-05-2012 at 02:42 AM.
06-05-2012, 02:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
ask dino direct for a better deal.
Indeed. The one I picked up on eBay for about $50 even came with two lithium batteries for the price.