Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D and Long Exposures

This might be a dumb questions but, well, what else are these forums for?

The longest exposure possible on the K20D is 30 seconds. Anything longer requires B mode. I have a Pentax Remote Control F but it can get pretty difficult to hold the rubbery button down for longer than a few minutes. It seems every time I shift even a little bit the camera closes the shutter and all is lost.

Anyone have any suggestions or workarounds? Perhaps another remote? Rubber band and a brick?

Thanks!

09-23-2011, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
This might be a dumb questions but, well, what else are these forums for?

The longest exposure possible on the K20D is 30 seconds. Anything longer requires B mode. I have a Pentax Remote Control F but it can get pretty difficult to hold the rubbery button down for longer than a few minutes. It seems every time I shift even a little bit the camera closes the shutter and all is lost.

Anyone have any suggestions or workarounds? Perhaps another remote? Rubber band and a brick?

Thanks!
Should be able to change the menu to allow the remote to control bulb mode. Rather than hold it the entire time, you can click to open, click to close. Not sure what page its on as I just sold mine, but im almost positive you can do it.
09-23-2011, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
Should be able to change the menu to allow the remote to control bulb mode. Rather than hold it the entire time, you can click to open, click to close. Not sure what page its on as I just sold mine, but im almost positive you can do it.
No such luck. The wireless remote has 3 drive modes: instant, 3-second delay, and continuous. I see nothing in the K20D manual (Wireless F, pp. 125-127; Menus, pp. 244-248) about changing the remote's behaviour. Just for ducks, I tried. FAIL! In B mode, Remote Continuous is disabled, and the instant and delay drives are only for holding the button down. For long exposures in B mode, you need a wired remote with a locking switch. Those are pretty cheap.
09-23-2011, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use my IR remote very little due to this and other problems. A wired remote shutter release is much better.

Mechanically, you can push the switch and slide it up to hold it for any period of time you desire. You can also go the intervalometer route providing Self-timer, interval timer, long-exposure timer, and exposure count setting features.

09-23-2011, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #5
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not that I've been able to find in the menu. Nor does p. 96? Of the manual indicate anythin but 'hold down'. Some other styles of remote do however allow you to lock the shutter. I normally use the Pentax wired remote but do have this:
Vello ShutterBoss Timed Remote for Canon with Sub-Mini RC-C1 B&H
It's got lots of bells and a few whistles I found to be overkill. Also, it's for Canon but works for Pentax. I found at first I had to wiggle it a bit to get it to contact perfectly but then discovered that by shaving a bit off the insulator on the end it popped it with no problems. O.K., it's $50. bucks but there are others out there.
09-23-2011, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I bought a cable shutter, Yongnuo XXX, for my K20 to get around the problem of having to hold the bulb shutter down. I think its well made for the price.

I got it off ebay, not sure of the cost, perhaps its $29 or something. but it has a mechanical lock for the shutter so one doesn't hold he shutter down. Plus it has electronic intervalometer controls. Turns out it is also compatible with the K5.
09-23-2011, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

If you are handy, or know someone who is, with a soldering iron, its not hard to whip one up yourself: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/50945-diy-make-cable-release-your-k10d.html

Shouldn't cost more than a couple of dollars ($5 tops...)

09-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll look into getting a cable shutter release. I will investigate the different options and report back.
09-25-2011, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

This Yongnu RS-802 wired remote control was dirt cheap on eBay. You can either push the gray button down to mimic the shutter realease button, or you can slide it upwards, as I've done here, to latch it down, so the red shows.
Attached Images

Last edited by dosdan; 09-30-2011 at 11:07 PM.
09-28-2011, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As someone who took many hundreds of 2 minute astrophotos with a K110D rest assured I did not hold the button all that time.

At first I used the Pentax cable release, a bit pricey at $44. Simply a two step switch with a locking position. Then I switched to various timers that plugged into the Pentax. These allowed multiple images with a delay between them.

Be glad our older models have a jack for external shutter switch, some newer Pentaxs do not.
09-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update: I ended up buying a cable shutter release and as you can see it has worked great so far. Thanks for the advice!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo