Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DX0Mark Results Released for A77 Sensor

DX0Mark has released their results for Sony's new sensor used in the 24MP A77 camera body.... Will Pentax actually use this sensor in the K5 replacement? Also, just how much more can Pentax squeeze out that Sony was unable to with their non traditional mirror?
It appears that it scored 2 points less than the D7000 and 4 less than the K-5.

Last edited by interested_observer; 09-23-2011 at 07:55 PM.
09-23-2011, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I think dxo lost all credibility after their review of the canon 70-200mm f2.8L is II. As far as I'm concerned. The whole assigning a number rating for a sensor or even more so for a lens is pretty arbitrary. Just my 2 cents.
09-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax and Nikon always do better with Sony's sensors than they do. I would like to see the numbers at equivalent megapixels.
09-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Pentax and Nikon always do better with Sony's sensors than they do.
I've noticed this as well. I wonder why. How can Sony take its own product and do worse with it than other users? Talk about deleting value!

By the way.... does anyone here want to buy an old Betamax?

09-28-2011, 06:31 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
I've noticed this as well. I wonder why. How can Sony take its own product and do worse with it than other users?
I suspect this has to do with Pentax and Nikon being companies that make cameras and optics, and having more experience with knowing what the end result should be WRT photography.
Sony is an electronics company with little experience so far in making cameras for people who actually care about image quality.
I suspect that Nikon wouldn't do really well making a television.
09-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I suspect this has to do with Pentax and Nikon being companies that make cameras and optics, and having more experience with knowing what the end result should be WRT photography.
Sony is an electronics company with little experience so far in making cameras for people who actually care about image quality.
I suspect that Nikon wouldn't do really well making a television.
I think that sums it up pretty well! Or maybe the Sony design guys get the original specs early, while the rest get better working sensors of a later production batch?! I know that happens in other parts of industry, having been exposed to a lot of odd buses from Volvo (Volvo Bus HQ is in town). We get the early rougher versions, while customers abroad get better buses, with less built-in faults, and no other oddities. I am sure early generations of fighter aircraft are the same, not fully functional, while later series of the same aircraft works much better!
09-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tord Quote
I think that sums it up pretty well! Or maybe the Sony design guys get the original specs early, while the rest get better working sensors of a later production batch?! I know that happens in other parts of industry, having been exposed to a lot of odd buses from Volvo (Volvo Bus HQ is in town). We get the early rougher versions, while customers abroad get better buses, with less built-in faults, and no other oddities. I am sure early generations of fighter aircraft are the same, not fully functional, while later series of the same aircraft works much better!
How about them SAAB`s.

Cheers, Mike.

09-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I wish DXO would concetrate on getting a K-5 module for their software

Edit: Well I stand corrected, they do have the K-5 available, but with only select lenses. They still have a lot of work to do in support of Pentax.

Last edited by cali92rs; 09-28-2011 at 04:33 PM.
09-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I wish DXO would concetrate on getting a K-5 module for their software

Edit: Well I stand corrected, they do have the K-5 available, but with only select lenses. They still have a lot of work to do in support of Pentax.
Yeah DxO isn't worth the money to me without more lens support. I've sent them emails with not a single response. Perhaps we should all flood their customer service inbox.

I've done the same for Tamron about not having their new lenses in k-mount. Never get a response. Customer service is really lacking these days.
09-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Yeah DxO isn't worth the money to me without more lens support. I've sent them emails with not a single response. Perhaps we should all flood their customer service inbox.

I've done the same for Tamron about not having their new lenses in k-mount. Never get a response. Customer service is really lacking these days.

I bough it when I had a Nikon D90, and I loved it! All my lenses were supported, and it processed the photos just the way I wanted them with a few clicks of the mouse.
Its a shame.
09-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yeah all my friends lenses are supported, brand and third party.
10-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
DX0Mark has released their results for Sony's new sensor used in the 24MP A77 camera body.... Will Pentax actually use this sensor in the K5 replacement?
I can just say that I've become interested in the K-5 - I should probably get one before it stops being produced, if this is what the future Pentax camera will use.
10-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Uff, when I got my K200D the only APS-C sensor that scored better was in the D90. Now it looks like it´s being left in the dust.... I still love it though