Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
And are you using just the center AF point? Not the automatic selection? Because if not, then sorry, but it's because of your hands, not your camera. I have never had any problems with my K-x and focusing by using the center af point and recompose. Btw. I can see where the camera focused and if it focused correctly pretty well in the viewfinder despite the fact that I wear glasses.

09-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Was just playing with my 30 year old Fujica. Manual focus is the way for me! Way faster and more accurate. I will definitely get a split screen Gibby, and will def review the default fstop and iso setting Newarts.
09-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Genshu Quote
Here is a classic example. Great moment gone to waste. Generally I love going dslr and dont want to go back. Guess saying that I shoot point and shoot is a bit of an exaduration, but when shooting kids they just are very quick! I have been doing center spot only and recompose for a while now, so that I get a little miffed when it still happens.
The *exact* same things that cause you to occasionally miss focus with center focus / recompose will also cause you occasionally miss focus if you have visible focus indicators - you'll simply have more focus pints to potentially miss with. Not sure how you were thinking visible points would have helped, but they wouldn't have,
09-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
I ordered a split screen last week from ebay. Looking forwards to trying it and focusing manually.

09-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #20
Banned

I am surprised how hard it can be to get the shot that I want. Catching that special fleeting moment is special when it happens. In a funny kind of way I think I was more successful back with 35mm, and was much more selective about taking a pic, but maybe that is somewhat in my mind.
Manual focus aside, you can always select a focus point in the area you want to focus on. Don't shoot with all focus points enabled when there are a variety of large areas at different distances that the AF might try to latch on unpredictably.
09-29-2011, 11:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Manual focus with split screen isn't the best answer IMHO, going to centre point only and using the focus/recompose method is the best answer here. The centre point is roughly the area in the ( ) brackets in the viewfinder.
09-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #22
Banned

Also, the K-x has a pentamirror, not a pentaprism - not the best camera to learn to manually focus on.

09-30-2011, 02:50 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Manual focus with split screen isn't the best answer IMHO, going to centre point only and using the focus/recompose method is the best answer here. The centre point is roughly the area in the ( ) brackets in the viewfinder.
In the opening post, Genshu states that he/she is using centre focus and recompose method.
09-30-2011, 05:03 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Also, the K-x has a pentamirror, not a pentaprism - not the best camera to learn to manually focus on.
I'm curious about what you mean by that. I have a split screen in my K-x & it focuses exactly like any other SLR or DSLR with a split screen.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
09-30-2011, 06:54 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
In the opening post, Genshu states that he/she is using centre focus and recompose method.
I still think it's a mix of technique and aperture/iso/shutter settings. For technique try focusing on a large object like the tree branch the kid is sitting on and then recomposing. For settings try increasing aperture and iso to increase the depth of field.

I don't think MF is really the answer especially with some of the AF lenses that have sub-optimal focus rings.
09-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I'm curious about what you mean by that. I have a split screen in my K-x & it focuses exactly like any other SLR or DSLR with a split screen.
Yes, you focus the same way, but the viewfinder is poorer, so you don't focus as easily as you could on a pentaprism camera. Just switch between using a K10D/K20D/K-7/K-5 and a K-x and you'll see what I mean.
09-30-2011, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Here is a classic example. Great moment gone to waste. Generally I love going dslr and dont want to go back. Guess saying that I shoot point and shoot is a bit of an exaduration, but when shooting kids they just are very quick! I have been doing center spot only and recompose for a while now, so that I get a little miffed when it still happens.

I tried manual focus for a while, but found it quite difficult. If it was possible to get the focus helpers like split screen from the old days, then I would be happy to stick with manual focus.
In that kind of picture situation I would have focused directly on the trunk of the tree between them. Not on the kids. That's a bit dark, so adjusting exposure a bit manually might have really been a must there. Most AF lenses I've had so far just can't quite get it right in situations like that. I almost always have to tweak some settings by hand. The camera would have likely gotten a better focus and the shot might have been a bit lighter and brighter that way even using AF if you had set it to plus 1 maybe then let the camera take the shot.

The more wide the shot is on my K-x, the more human subjects, the darker the setting is, the more I find I have to find a central point in my mind's eye to focus on. Never mind the camera's idea of focus for a second. The focus point in my imagination has to come first. The K-x actually has much better AF and auto exposure I think than my *ist ever did, but still it's a machine and it can't focus or expose exactly like the human eye. You do have to think about it and tweak it a bit. The program modes and auto modes on the K-x are good, but still the camera needs you to put in more input sometimes. Even my old upscale point and shoot, and it was a good one, would have likely failed to get that on auto. Some lighting situations are tricky even in full manual and you'd not really expect the camera to be able to get those automatically.

I use both, more AF of late because my eyes are having issues, and I'm always going to manual for the really hard situations anyway because the camera simply needs more info that it can gather in point and shoot mode. That's basically a little computer in your hand. It can do some things very well, but sometimes it still sucks a bit at doing everything we'd like it to be able to do. Think voice recognition. How many of us would love to be able to use our voices to command every thing on our machines? Yet programs that say you can do that seldom work 100% because the device using them is a machine and a machine will always have issues with comprehending a human voice and it's owner's intent. How to know when to use their versus there or your versus you're for instance. It simply can't get that right all the time no matter how good the program is.

Digital cameras are a bit like that. They try in their way to see what we do, pick what settings we think might be best for a setting, but until they can make a camera that truly sees like a human eye there will always be mistakes, and probably even them because even the human eye can be fooled at times.
09-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well I just got the splits screen. I hear what your saying about manual focusing these days, but I am still looking forwards to giving it a shot. I love the control of it. Now I just have to get it in without screwing anything up!
09-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #29
Veteran Member

The split screen helps me a lot actually though of late my eyes are horrid and AF is my new best friend, sigh.

09-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry to hear that Magkelly.

Well, I got it in and have to say it seems pretty cool! Looking forwards to shooting awhile in manual and see how it goes. Put on my old school Pentax 50mm prime, the old ones sure do have a nicer focusing ring, but will shoot with my modern Tameron as well and see how it goes.

Doing a quick comparison, cant notice much of a difference in screen brightness and the splitscreen between my kx and 30 year old Fujica.