Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2007, 06:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Multi exposure mode. Set to Raw or Jpg

I have reread the previous thread on using the multi exposure and the link supplied to the DP Review piece. I have one question.
Do you shoot these in raw or is jpeg ok.

Reason i ask is i tried this a while back, just briefly to see what would happen, in jpg mode.

I shot a series of 9 photos of a back lit tree in the yard. I wound up with 9 jepgs and 9 raw files.

Is this right.?

Or does one need to shoot in raw to get the final raw file out put of one file.

Not sure if i had EV comp turned on, it was 8 weeks ago,

Dave

12-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wrong multiple exposure mode. The one you want is described on page 166 in the K10d manual. I would check the box for [auto EV adjust] for the first try.

You tell the camera how many exposures you want on the one frame, and it will take them all on the same frame. Perhaps you did not set this? Some of this esoteric stuff gets really obscure.
12-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #3

if you are trying to make HDRi photos I think the advise is to use the lowest ISO as possible (ISO 200 for the K100D and ISO 100 for the K10D).

as for JPEG vs RAW I'm not sure but I guess RAW might be better (the HDR adds a lot of Noise to the image so lossless manipulation of the RAW might give a better result in the end ?).
12-06-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cloudy Wizzard Quote
if you are trying to make HDRi photos I think the advise is to use the lowest ISO as possible (ISO 200 for the K100D and ISO 100 for the K10D).

as for JPEG vs RAW I'm not sure but I guess RAW might be better (the HDR adds a lot of Noise to the image so lossless manipulation of the RAW might give a better result in the end ?).
With few exceptions, I shoot only RAW. That way I can control the manipulations. For HDR or with the multiple exposure option, I would think that the data loss in jpeg compression would make things worse.

12-06-2007, 12:38 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I would think that the data loss in jpeg compression would make things worse.
was thinking the same thing, but I didnt't want to start a RAW vs JPEG discussion
12-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Wrong multiple exposure mode. The one you want is described on page 166 in the K10d manual. I would check the box for [auto EV adjust] for the first try.

You tell the camera how many exposures you want on the one frame, and it will take them all on the same frame. Perhaps you did not set this? Some of this esoteric stuff gets really obscure.
Nope, thats the mode i set, just unsure if i set the Auto EV adjust.

When i downloaded the card, there were 9 numbered jpegs with 9 numbered raw files. My assumption from the review and the K10D book, is that it should produce only one final file., or am i wrong on that,.

Dave
12-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
is that it should produce only one final file., or am i wrong on that,.

Dave
AFAIK, you need a 3rd party tool to merge the 9 images into 1 HDR image.

someting like Paint Shop Pro X2 Photo or Dynamic Photo-HDR for example. (I think Photoshop CS3 or Elements 6 don't have HDRi support).
12-06-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First off - the comment about multi-exposure / in camera HDR creating more noise is as far from the truth as could be.. It's exactly opposite - it creates less noise..

Shooting in RAW or JPG has no effect on the process other than the file size, quality and of course, file type.

After you've made all of your adjustments in the FN menu then choose MENU, Multi-Exposure, choose number of shots, EV yes, etc and press the MENU button again. Do not press the FN or MENU button or change the Modes now as that will reset the multi-exposure to OFF.. Assume you chose 3 shots. If you look at the TOP LCD display you will see a multi-frame image blinking - Take your three shots and once the third shot has been taken, the multi-frame image will disappear and you will have 1 JPG or RAW file that was merged from all three shots.

From there you can start to play around with different exposures etc.. Read the manual though - it's all in there in very easy to understand English.

12-06-2007, 12:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cloudy Wizzard Quote
AFAIK, you need a 3rd party tool to merge the 9 images into 1 HDR image.

someting like Paint Shop Pro X2 Photo or Dynamic Photo-HDR for example. (I think Photoshop CS3 or Elements 6 don't have HDRi support).
The K10D does this IN the camera - no need for third party programs.
12-06-2007, 12:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
Nope, thats the mode i set, just unsure if i set the Auto EV adjust.

When i downloaded the card, there were 9 numbered jpegs with 9 numbered raw files. My assumption from the review and the K10D book, is that it should produce only one final file., or am i wrong on that,.

Dave

You're certainly not wrong about the number of output files you should get. I don't think checking the auto EV box will change the fact that you should get one file as opposed to mulitple files. What will change that is setting it up correctly. I've done this before as well. After you set it and are ready to shoot, go back and double check that its set up. You might find that you didn't have it set up properly.

The menu on the K10D (or K100D for that matter) can get a little confusing when you set things up. You have one button that sets it and another that cancels it. The problem is, both buttons will lead you to the same screen after pressing them.
12-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
You're certainly not wrong about the number of output files you should get. I don't think checking the auto EV box will change the fact that you should get one file as opposed to mulitple files. What will change that is setting it up correctly. I've done this before as well. After you set it and are ready to shoot, go back and double check that its set up. You might find that you didn't have it set up properly.

The menu on the K10D (or K100D for that matter) can get a little confusing when you set things up. You have one button that sets it and another that cancels it. The problem is, both buttons will lead you to the same screen after pressing them.
according to this it should be 1 file.....
Re: Tried it.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Was this in a firmware upgrade at one time perhaps? Other than that you must be missing something.
12-06-2007, 01:37 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
First off - the comment about multi-exposure / in camera HDR creating more noise is as far from the truth as could be.. It's exactly opposite - it creates less noise..
don't know if this is targetted at me, but I was talking about that Dynamic-Photo HDR creating a LOT of noise when making the HDR image.

sorry if it caused a misunderstanding.
12-06-2007, 01:38 PM   #13

The K10D does this IN the camera - no need for third party programs.
Oh, I didn't know that (never saw that in the specs but I guess I mainly compaired the Price and the Megapxels with the K100D Super
12-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote

That may be we're i went wrong, i may have *undone* what i had set up.

I tried it again a while ago, with three shots, and i now get the one file, in Jpg.

Thanks for all that helped.

Dave
12-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
From there you can start to play around with different exposures etc.. Read the manual though - it's all in there in very easy to understand English.
I did that, several times, and things we're not working out.

Some one has made a suggestion in regard to maybe i undid the setting after I set it, and that appears to be what may have happened, as i can get it to work now.

Dave