Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #16

I put normal alkalines in my Super the day I got it in the mail only because I had nothing else in the house, and only long enough to try out my new toy with all my old lenses. All the documentation I scrounged up doing my pre-purchase research strongly suggested "don't waste your time with cheap batteries".

09-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Short answer is:
disposables use AA Energizer Lithiums
rechargeable use Sanyo eneloops with a good charger.

1) the reason why eneloops are better than any regular rechargeable NiMH -
eneloop maintain the operating voltage under-load better -
Pentax (AA) dSLRs are notoriously fussy with batteries - using voltage level for battery level, and shutdown threshold.

NiMH with higher capacity may seem "better" - but they do not maintain the operating voltage under-load as well - therefore will shutdown prematurely, even when there may be plenty of charge left for other less fussy devices (eg: flashguns or even other digital cameras).

2) a good charger is one which will charge eneloops at about 1/2C (C=capacity) - that is about 1000mA (=1Amp) - many will argue that slower charging is "better" for eneloops - this is not so - because of end of charge detection using -dV (delta-V) is almost impossible with charging currents under about 1/2C - therefore this may lead to over-charge and over-heating - the two major killers of rechargeable batteries.

Well respected good chargers - Maha C9000, LaCrosse BC-9009
these are not cheap nor simple to use.

some lower priced but good chargers:

Sanyo eneloop MQR06
Sony Cycle Energy BCG34HRE4KN
Soshine SC-C3 Charger
all three are very good for charging 1-2 batteries -
but not so good for 3-4 batteries at a time.
09-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
From anything I've heard, Sanyo Eneloop and Rayovac Hybrid use the same or very similar technology. Both work well in my cameras. Eneloops are harder to find and much more expensive locally.
09-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
From anything I've heard, Sanyo Eneloop and Rayovac Hybrid use the same or very similar technology. Both work well in my cameras. Eneloops are harder to find and much more expensive locally.
Strangely enough RayOVac Hybrids now seem much harder to find in the USA -
places like WalMart no longer seem to have them -
they have other RayOVac rechargeable including Pre-Charged but not actual Hybrids.

Most LSD (Low Self-Discharge) do maintain their voltage better than regular non-LSD NiMH.

BUT eneloops will maintain their operating voltage under-load better - especially when the batteries have been unused for a while.

Please see: eneloop vs. Kodak Pre-Charged Voltage Maintenance and summary post #57
where I tested eneloop vs Kodak Pre-Charged (re-badged GP ReCyko) both well regarded and in tests sometimes come out "better" than eneloops - please read summary post #57 (link)

For more detailed testing of NiMH batteries including eneloops, RoV Hybrid and GP ReCyko -
NiMh Battery Shoot Out

09-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
nor simple to use.
Fortunately the MAHA defaults to 1000mA charging rate if you just insert the batteries in it, without any input from the operator.
It is like tailored for the sanyo eneloops.
09-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ive been using Vivitars 2100 mAh batteries for awhile now, lasts for around 800 - 900 shots on a full charge, can easily pick then up at any local bestbuy or frys.
09-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Strangely enough RayOVac Hybrids now seem much harder to find in the USA -
places like WalMart no longer seem to have them -
they have other RayOVac rechargeable including Pre-Charged but not actual Hybrids.
I haven't been following this company, as Eneloops are always easy enough to find, but do you have reason to think "Pre-Charged" versus "Hybrid" is anything but a change in name?
09-30-2011, 01:03 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I haven't been following this company, as Eneloops are always easy enough to find, but do you have reason to think "Pre-Charged" versus "Hybrid" is anything but a change in name?
It could be a mere name change -
however there is a slight complication - RayOVac now have two grades of "Pre-Charged" -

Everyday-Use Pre-Charged
and
Platinum Pre-Charged

RayOVac Canada seems to still list the Hybrid -
whereas RayOVac US does not seem to
and their FAQ says:
QuoteQuote:
9. What do you recommend in place of Hybrid Rechargeable Batteries?
We recommend Rayovac Platinum Rechargeable Batteries for the same great performance and low self discharge technology found in Hybrid.
Amazon's listing for the RayOVac Platinum Pre-Charged has a review by NLee The Engineer (who does very good reviews) he claims these are not Hybrids with a different wrapper.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 10-01-2011 at 12:00 PM.
10-01-2011, 07:08 AM   #24

Best batteries? Sanyo Eneloop without a doubt

I am very thorough in my research and spend hours on the net to ensure I get the best product at the best price. March this year i was considering buying my first DSLR and quickly dimissed all makes bar Pentax. I was lucky to find a brand new old stock Pentax K100D. Before the camera arrived in the post I had researched batteries for it and had no hesitiation in choosing Sanyo Eneloops. Whilst on holidy in Italy this June I fired off over 230 shots and continued using the same set of batteries for another two months until they needed changing. I also researched my charger and choose a more expensive intelligent model that does a lot more than simply charge up batteries. It's a Technoline BL-700. It too does a great job.