Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #1

K100D and batteries - what to choose

Before I spend more money on yet other type of rechargeable battery I need to know Pentax's recommendation. I've tried Energizers and based on B&H's recommendation I tried Pearstone 2600mha, after changing them for the third time my K100D says they are dead. They power my external flash (reaches a flashable charge in 2 seconds) without any problems so I know they are charged. B&H is now recommending Sanyo Eneloop batteries and based on searching this forum they come highly recommended. What I need to know is how many charges will I really get before my K100D indicates they are dead. I've read the K100D is very finicky about voltage and will indicate batteries as dead when in fact they be over voltage. Also can I use the Pearstone charger for the Eneloop batteries?

09-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There have been many thread on the relevant rechargeable batteries for the K-x. The Sanyo Eneloop batteries were highly recommended. I expect that K-x users may give you some indication on how many cycles you can use them.

However I would try firt some disposable batteries (new) to test if the problem is your camera, or the batteries. If a new set of (disposable) Energizer batteries last less than 200 shots, it may be an issue with the camera.

Food for thoughts....
09-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I've been using the Energizer and the Rayovac 'eneloops equivalent' rechargeables in my K100D and *istD without problems for about a year now. They work great and I get plenty of shots with either type of battery. I'm using an ordinary ni-cd/ni-mh charger.
09-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have had my k100d for 4 years and I've used my same set of Sanyo batteries without incident for most of that time.

09-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #5

I have only used Energisers in my *IstDl & K100d's.
Have had no battery level problems at all, but avoid quick chargers at all costs.
Used the Energiser charger for a while and found this to be no good at all as it
gets the batteries far too hot & shortens their life spans dramatically.
Wrecked three sets of batteries really fast using that charger till I worked out it was the
culprit.

Bought a charger that does them in 3 to 4 hrs, no problems and have been using the same
batteries for about 2 years now and have not seen a reduction in the number of shots taken.

Charger should have current & temp' monitoring too.
09-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter

100D should run OK on eneloop`s. 400 to 500 shots maybe. If you want high performance, then Energizer lithium's. Somewhere around 800 shots, depending. As far as a charger, I recommend the MAHA MH-C9000.
09-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Just get a set of energizer lithiums and see how you like them. Use them as a benchmark because they are the tops.
09-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I've been using the Energizer and the Rayovac 'eneloops equivalent' rechargeables in my K100D and *istD without problems for about a year now. They work great and I get plenty of shots with either type of battery. I'm using an ordinary ni-cd/ni-mh charger.
I got a bunch of sets of the Rayovacs when they first came out, and I love them. The Energizers don't seem to like my camera, and don't last as long, but they work fine in my flashes.

09-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I am referring to the lithiums, not rechargeable s.
09-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've used the Eneloops for about two years - 13,000 shots - and they still charge and perform as good as new. My camera is K100d Super. I use an old, typical ni-cd/ni-mh charger and the batteries charge quite fast. I have not checked performance, but I believe it to be 400-500 shots on a battery charge, similar to estimated above (if not using flash - many fewer if I need flash). Based on this experience I can highly recommend them. Thanks. Glenn
09-27-2011, 06:46 AM   #11

I like Energizer Lithiums, too. I've even imported my RAW photos onto my computer on battery power without a glitch so far, for want of a power cable (bought my K100D Super online used, body only, no accessories).

I still want a power supply, though; maybe when I have a couple dollars to spare.
09-27-2011, 07:21 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I bought a K100D two years ago, and used Energizer Lithiums for one of those two years. Never had a problem, still keep a spare four pack for emergencies, but I bought a set of Sanyo's Eneloops and they worked fine in my K100D too. I got about 350 shots per charge. I'm still using them in my new K-x. I bought a second set this past year. When I bought the first set they came with Sanyo's charger. I like it because it only takes 7 hours to charge compared to another charger i have, Energizer brand, that takes 13 hours to charge. I don't like Energizers rechargeables, they don't hold a charge long enough for my usage.
09-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
However I would try firt some disposable batteries (new) to test if the problem is your camera, or the batteries. If a new set of (disposable) Energizer batteries last less than 200 shots, it may be an issue with the camera.
I think it's safe to say there is an issue with K100D's and disposable alkaline batteries. With my K100 D Super I was getting about 30 photos with disposable alkaline batteries, vs. several hundred from Sanyo Eneloop and Rayovac Hybrid rechargeables. I've heard of other people with a similar result. Energizer rechargeables are annoying as hell because the charge dissipates quickly even when they aren't in use.

Last edited by audiobomber; 09-27-2011 at 09:15 AM.
09-27-2011, 07:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I've been using the NiMh Energizers (2200 mAh & 2450 mAH) with the 15 minute Energizer charger in my K100D for a couple of years now & also in a K-x. They work great & I get a few hundred shots (no flash) out of a set before they need charging. Dunno... Maybe I've just been lucky.
09-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #15
Site Supporter

I couldn't even get my K100D to turn on with normal alkaline batteries.