Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2011, 05:42 AM   #1

choices K-5 Or K-r

Hi ,
I have just sold my Pentax ist D and now need a new digital camera and it has to be a toss up between K-5with sigma 17-70 mm lense or the K-r with the standard 18-50 kit lense .Iam just an interested amateur who loves the challenge of taking that odd great shot. Do a lot of K-r users wish they had bought a K-5, Thanks

09-26-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would you rather drive a Malibu or a Camaro? Both are very nice and capable vehicles. But only you can appreciate the differences in style, features and performance in relation towards your expectations of photography.
09-26-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter

At first I thought, "Really?!? Malibu vs. Camaro?" But then I realized it's probably a fair comparison:

Camaro is faster than Malibu
Camaro costs more than Malibu
Camaro scores lower in JD Power quality study than Malibu
Camaro is heavier than Malibu

But both are pretty great at getting you from point A to point B... one just takes a little more finesse in the snow than the other.
09-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter

OK, now in all seriousness... I absolutely LOVE my Kr. I'm a newbie that was on a budget and the Kr absolutely met every one of my needs and has performed flawlessly. I have learned soo much in the last few months and 8000+ photos since getting it. All that said, there are definitely things I covet from the K5. I would like WR. I never would have known that before, but now I long to be able to shoot in the rain. This will only compound next spring when my youngest son starts baseball. I would like the 16MP sensor. Not because I plan to print giant posters or anything, but with a limited budget for lenses, you've got more cropping room with higher resolution and nice short prime lenses. Shooting hockey, even less noise and better low light performance combined with an ever so slightly faster frame-rate would be an advantage although I really cannot complain at all about the Kr in this regard. User mode would be huge for me. Again, this is something I never would have known before getting started. The other "notables" for me would be TAv mode, and lens specific focus corrections.

So if I had it to do all over again... given my budget, I'd still go Kr. I'm THAT happy with the camera and for the price it simply cannot be beat. Will I upgrade to K3, or whatever comes next with those missing features noted above? Probably in a couple years but I've still got so much to learn and so much growth room just in the Kr that there's no hurry.

...and Nowhere Matt... as for your Camaro vs. Malibu comparison... I went with Mustang, V8, Manual Shift. No bells and whistles. Just plain, simple, light, nimble, Made in Michigan, Go Fast Fun. :-)

Last edited by HockeyDad; 09-26-2011 at 08:33 AM.
09-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
???

I live in Australia I wouldn't know what a Comaro or a Malibu is. Are they a camera that creates beautiful photos.But I think I get it ,
Thank you
09-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Heh, the latest edition of the Chevy Camaro is a 4 passenger sports car built on the same chassis as the Holden Ute was and a Holden version of the Malibu is on it's way. It's more of a 5 passenger mid-size sedan.

Over here we'd think of one as more "great everyday value" and the other as more "specialized high performance"... I suppose if Pentax had a full frame flagship we'd follow the analogy through and call it a Corvette.

In any event, all the non car-related comments I gave hold true. :-)
09-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eye49 Quote
I live in Australia I wouldn't know what a Comaro or a Malibu is. Are they a camera that creates beautiful photos.But I think I get it ,
Thank you
In Australia the K-5 is insanely good value, the price just dropped $400 to $1,159 body only. It's $400-$500 cheaper than the other cameras in it's class (D7000 & 7D).

If you can scrape up the extra $400 or so over a K-r I think you'd be nuts not to buy the K-5.